Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

[ New ]

I have found the best solution. I'm gonna sell my GoPro stuff and my problems will be gone forever.

Last week in Bassano del Grappa, flying paraglider in the Alps. Found my gopro completly useless due to battery draining issue (when off).

Sometimes couldn't even turn it ON if not reconnected the battery. Imagine how pissed I was when I had to pull the battery out and in, 1500 meters above the rocky mountains in the turbulent air, making 2 photos, turn off, then land after 5 hours and couldn't make third photo because it was completly dead.

For me... it's just too expensive jewelry.

Hiker

[ New ]

As somebody above mentioned...sometimes when switching the gopro off, the screen remains on for a few seconds after the beeps and the led has stopped...i dont believe this is connected to the battery drain...well not with my camera anyway.

Hiker

[ New ]

Let's make this clear; GoPro know about this issue. This issue is too common and there is no possibility that they couldn't experience it.

This issue has it's beggining long long time ago in Hero5 era and they didn't fixed it. There are few possible reasons:

1. They know what's wrong and it can't be fixed by the firmware. Masive recall of all GoPro7 would kill the company and it's easyier to pretend that everything is just fine and replace any bad unit to another same bad unit (as long as they don't shut the f**k up).

2. They know what's wrong and it can be fixed by the firmware. Anyway, they will never release firmware that could fix the problem because some of features would just stop working (wake on voice, time of powering ON, quick capture or autoupload). And we all know that GoPro must be f**cking awesooooome.

3. They don't even care if this is software or hardware issue. As the Hero7 is released, and due to cost cutting they don't have human resources that could start working on it. Instead of this everybody are focusing on upcomming "Hero8 deadline" that has to be anothere marketing succes so they don't give a f**k about all Hero7 cosumers.

Because of these three possible reasons, I think that trying to tell them that something with Hero7 could be wrong is completly pointless.

They have nothing better to offer that asking if memory card is OK, or "I feel soooooooo sorry about your problem, cen you reset the camera/format sd card/install last firmware/buy more batteries" that they just keep copy/pasta (and propably laugh and spit coffe and chips on monitor). Very chilled out company to work in... really.

Peace out!

Tom,

former gopro costumer,

actual user of cheap china camera that finaly works

Tourist

[ New ]
Yeah I think I may have been the one that brought that up. I’m still having success with that method.
BUT !
I obviously got to check a couple of hours before I want to use it. Because if it is flat I need time to charge it.
Now to me. This makes the hero7 as useless as a chocolate fire guard. Money wasted. Can’t put it on eBay knowing it would be sent back as faulty. It’s only use is a novelty paperweight.
Hiker

[ New ]
Agree!
I’ve just returned my third 7 for a refund.
Waiting till next month to purchase a good solid Sony RX0 Mk 2.
No more GoPro’s for me....
Tourist

[ New ]
You naild it👍🏽
Tourist

[ New ]
I have same issue, 3-4 times completely drained and draining all the time a little bit! And turning off 4-5sec after led stops! They offered me replacement camera, but i dont know if they are sending new one or refurbished because it don't have original packaging and no turtle sticker on lcd! Does anyone have experience with replacing?
Tourist

[ New ]

"I have same issue, 3-4 times completely drained and draining all the time a little bit! And turning off 4-5sec after led stops! They offered me replacement camera, but i dont know if they are sending new one or refurbished because it don't have original packaging and no turtle sticker on lcd! Does anyone have experience with replacing?"

I won't make a difference.  We have some people in this thread that replaced it 4 times, all with the exact same problem.  If I were you, I would return it to the store for a refund.  Then check this thread to see if there is a fix later on, or wait for GoPro 8.  But if you don't want to be one of those "fool me twice, shame on me" people, simply just buy some other brand.

Tourist

[ New ]
You are right, but im huge fan of gopro i think i will stick to it and hope for some resolution on this issue
Tourist

[ New ]

Same for me. I've decided to go through the upcoming active season with it. But if no solution will be found - I shall start to push for refund. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I am a hero7 owner since today. Reading this after my purchase makes me feel a bit stupid..... but I did not come by this problem during my internet study on what to buy. And, as I typically go for the high end, I got me a Hero7.....

Question: Is it maybe the GPS that is drainig the battery? Phone die quickly too with GPS always on....

Tourist

[ New ]
Gps is off! Does anyone know what is the normal drain of the battery when device is off?
Tourist

[ New ]

I do not think that I'll get answer from GoPro about normal drain time. Because they will get huge number of refund requests immediately.

Adventurer

[ New ]

about  +-1% a day

Tourist

[ New ]
Definitely my camera is bad! They want to change it but a to suspicious that they will send me new one because they are not originally packed, not even turtle sticker on lcd
Tourist

[ New ]

Do you have official statement from GoPro about 1% drain of battery inside the camera?

Adventurer

[ New ]

This is a Forum  where  opinions can be   offered .. Totally  Agree but we wil not see that.  so I take note of my unit if asked.

FOr the RMA  replacement they are a official gopro  brown container boxed and rewaraped in a clear protective plastic on the rear glass, the front screen and lens protector.   This keeps the cost down then to ship a retail one out,  Why tehy say not to ship anything back but the camera,  , You already have the box, why a second one, Ah to ease our minds.

Hiker

[ New ]
After a few weeks of battery discharge I think that one of my sd cards must have been bad. I remember changing cards during my ski trip and starting to have issues. I have fully reformatted both sd cards in my pc any the gopro now seems to be far more stable.
Explorer

[ New ]
That was the case for me. I have 5 SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. I was able to identify one that caused me issues. I know that it can happen with any card manufacturer (had an issue with a Lexar 633X once), but I am officialy done with SanDisk. Bummer, because I was really excited that they had finally gotten their act together with the v30. I have had way to many SanDisk cards give me issues over the years. For now, I'm sticking with Samsung.
Tourist

[ New ]

They always recommend to format the memory card using the device itself.  If you have to format it using a PC, that's new to me. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

the camera is not a computer and a comuter canclear more then just a file that was why we format via a computer tehn the  camera and for years  we been doing that so nothing really new if asked.

Explorer

[ New ]

@superbluff0475 

A full format checks for bad sectors and will truly scrub through the hard drive from scratch, rebuild all of its file structures, and scans the drive to make sure that everything is on a satisfactory level.

A quick format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors.

Very often when issues present like freezing or battery drain, it is because of a bad sector.  These are particularly troublesome because the card will often appear to be working normally.  However, if the camera tries to write to the bad sector or encounters it during the scan (basically an invalid checksum), then the processor can get bottlenecked (freeze) or run into a loop (battery drain).

The majority of the time you should only be doing quick formats and formats in the camera (Always format in the camera to rebuild the proper tables after formatting in your computer).  However, periodically, or when you have encountered a camera error, you should perform a full format to check your SD for bad sectors.

Unfortunately, performing a full format does not always cure a bad SD card as the format may not account for the Protected Area used in the SD card's CPRM functions.

If you are having issues with one SD card, even after a full format followed by a format in the camera, it is advisable to try with another SD card to ensure that the card is not generating the issue.  GoPro provides a list of tested SD cards that are known to work.  This is not the end all be all list of cards that you can use, but it helps in ruling out the SD card in cases of camera errors.

A note about read speed and write speed.  While typically most manufacturers list the "Up To" read speed and many are now listing the "Up To" write speed, it's very rare to be able to know the video write speed which is not the same as write speed alone.  For example, a SanDisk Extreme v30 has a listed write speed of "Up To" 90 MB/s but if you read the fine print on their web page, they list the video write speed as sustained video capture rate of 30MB/s.  For video recording, a fast sustained capture rate is imperative.  If the write speed fluctuates or is not fast enough, it will cause errors, corrupt data, and freezing. 

Another thing they don't tell you is if the card architecture is SLC (Single Layer Cell), MLC (Multi-Layer Cell), or TLC (Triple-Layer Cell).  Many of the cheaper high capacity cards are TLC, which is a much less reliable, durable, card that is more sensitive to temperature changes.  Additionally, GoPro cameras use a UHS-I bus system.  While cards that are UHS-II are designed to be backward compatible, in general keeping to the same bus type is best. 

Other issues can also arise if there is damage to the SD card's connectors (the gold sheets on the outside).  If these are damaged, scratched or chipped, you can also run into issues.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is unacceptable.

No device should active drain a battery via add-on functions such as Wi-Fi when it is turned off. This is not an accepted answer from GoPro. To me this clearly shows the system is defected. Nice experiment to test how many people buy extra batteries, won't work with me. Returning my device today. Horrible service too, Camera is defected and GoPro does not even admit nor confirm they are working on a new firmware to solve the issue.

Explorer

[ New ]
Wi-Fi only drains battery when on. When connections are left on (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) the camera continues to be available for remote activation by keeping Bluetooth active for up to 8 hours. If you recently connected the camera to a device, the Wi-Fi does stay on temporarily as the connection isn't completely terminated. This is beneficial as often people want to be able to turn the camera on, off, and on again remotely. It's also good for Quik Stories.

On my HERO7 Black cameras I generally have connections turned On, GPS On, Voice activation On but wake to voice OFF, and depending on my needs, Quick Capture On or OFF. I did have one SanDisk Extreme v30 card that was giving me issues, but when not using that specific card, I've had no issues with my cameras.

However, I may not store and handle my cameras the same as everyone else. First, I always format my SD card in the camera before a days shoot and again after transferring my media to my computer. I transfer my media using a USB 3.0 adapter and never by plugging the camera into the USB port. I usually charge my batteries with the dual charger, although I do on occasion just plug the camera into the GoPro Quick Charger. As per the warranty and safety instructions, I store the batteries outside the camera whenever possible. I use recommended SD cards, 64 and 32 GB (I've noticed 128 and 256 GB cards seem to give most people issues), and I do a full (not quick) format of the cards after about 30 times of use.
Adventurer

[ New ]

WIreless Connection:  

Wi-fi On  BLTE (Bluetooth) acts as a sniffer, after 10 minutes time the wireless connection of Wi-Fi will shut down, be in the Off position. Camera will be off and no drain (People are complaining there is a drain)

Voice Command:

Wake On   the BLTE is not enabled and will not turn off  the wake on feature, the camera is in Hybernation, or Standby.  the feature  will  run on Standby up to 8 hours  with no use,

I am sure  the Wake on was clearly noted on Pg 51 and it sure is  

Controlling Your GoPro With Your Voice
TURNING ON YOUR GOPRO WITH YOUR VOICE
With this setting, your GoPro will turn on and respond to voice commands
when it’s off.
1. Swipe down to access the Dashboard.
2. Tap to turn on Voice Control.
3. Tap Preferences > Voice Control > Wake on Voice.
4. Power off your camera by saying “GoPro turn off” or pressing
the Mode button .
5. Turn on your camera by saying “GoPro turn on” or “GoPro
start recording.”
Heads Up: Your camera will listen for commands for 8 hours after
you’ve turned it off.
SEE A COMPLETE LIST OF COMMANDS ON YOUR CAMERA
2. Tap Preferences > Voice Control > Commands.
CHANGING YOUR VOICE CONTROL LANGUAGE
2. Tap Preferences > Voice Control > Language.
Heads Up: Voice Control may be affected by wind, noise, and your
distance from the camera. Keep your camera clean and wipe away
any debris for the best performance

Hiker

[ New ]

I just returned my gopro 7 hero black and after using it three times, the store checked out every mm of my camera, they were looking at it, two people, for about 8 minutes total and still called the store supervisor, I started sweating that I am left with that defunct product and they won't take it in. As soon as I showed them how I purchased equipment worth 5000 Euros on a yearly basis there and NEVER returned anything, they still accepted it. What a relief.

A lot of strange replies in this topic. First of all not-helpful GoPro Replies that keep making you do extra work. Also, having quick capture mode permanently OFF to save battery power when OFF, is ridiculous. So when I ride a bike I have to stop, take off gloves, turn it on, swipe around a tiny screen (each time adding risk for it to fall down), activate it, and then use it. Are you kidding me? Or when I fly Aerobatic planes, I have to trim the plane and fly without looking outside to fiddle around with the camera, yeah, great safety right there.... sigh.

Wifi and Bluetooth draining batteries when device is OFF, a joke also.

I will give GoPro one more chance with the GoPro 8 (whenever that comes out), and on a side note, horrible customer service, absolutely abysmal, horrible.

I want to thank all the GoPro users here that have done experiments and fiddled around, doing GoPro's job basically, you were much more helpful and competent than any GoPro employee or representative, it is because of YOU that I will give GoPro 8 a chance once it comes out, surely not because of GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

Well, after two weeks of testing I can make a statement regarding my camera (taking in account that all wireless connections are OFF).

If after pushing OFF button the cameras display is turning OFF together with blinking diodes - the battery inside camera drains about 5% per 24 hours. I do not know if this is normal or not.

If display stays ON 5-6 sec longer after red diodes turns OFF - the battery drains during one night to zero.

For me it looks like FW problem. And this is very common problem with Hero 7.

Adventurer

[ New ]

History of the new design was a ton of issues. to name a few, leaking, blank screen, sound,.  As GoPro Improves  they will let the oldeer camera fall.  

If what was said about wifi staying on and draining   maybe everyone should start making  videos and posting.  good luck on  the next camera.  

Tourist

[ New ]
Had the same problem, i returned for replacement, now i will see what will they send me
Adventurer

[ New ]

If you are not happy wit hteh hero 7 why not request a hero 6?

Tourist

[ New ]
I was pretty happy with my hero 4 silver, i don't know why i did change it
Adventurer

[ New ]

A lot of complaints about the hero 7 why it may  be a good idea  t orequest a Hero 6 replacement then continue with the issues.  I understand the yare the same price just a newer camera?

Hiker

[ New ]

@milosstepanovic wrote:
I was pretty happy with my hero 4 silver, i don't know why i did change it

Oh yeah, me too. And I still use it when I need a reliable camera. Guess all those paid youtubers did their job. And now they keep shtum about the freezing issues. I even missed to record some moments with my 2 yo daughter because of the freezes.

Hero 4 is smaller, audio is better, sky color looks way better, battery lasts much longer and it's light enough for cheap gimbals even with an ND filter attached to it.

Yes, hypersmooth is a great feature, but at the moment I suggest buying a used Hero 4 Silver and the Hohem iSteady gimbal. This way way you even have motion blur if you use an ND filter - looks much more cinematic. And is much cheaper than a Hero 7 Black.

Gopro support always gives the same advise with SD cards, batteries, manual update. Thismay be a workaround for some of the users, but it still is a thing the customers aren't supposed to do. They don't want to fiddle, they want a working camera. With every other camera, even very cheap ones, I have I don't have to deal with updates and in-camera-formating: Either the card works or it is too slow which results in a stopped recording in the worst case.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Yeah the Hero 4 seies is  by far the winner I have mine still. the Hypersmooth   just not a fan of the Bouncing Ball (flare), why  got mine was the Timewarp  that can not be beat.   the good thing for me is my gimbal stays home and my hero 7 is with m  and guess I am the  select few that got a good one.   

For the Sponsors of gotube Lol Nick sitting down with casey. at Mountain creak,  all ofthem signed a concent form no released info and hearing them talk about  Beta firmware.  I am sure GoPro  has fw 1.80 out there and in the wrong hands again.

Hiker

[ New ]

Que SD tienes?

Hiker

[ New ]

Regarding the SD situation, first of all thank you fellow clients and people in this post addressing SD situation as a factor for the drainage and all the other problems.

But as for the real issue at hand, SDs now can cause those issues? Confirmed or Unconfirmed? GoPro, get your act together. You yourself recommended those exact cards that we use and how the heck can an micro-SD card be the causing factor for all of this issues?

As for the recommendations for getting the GoPro 6, thanks, but I think I will wait for the 8. But you guys really rock with helping out and putting this issue on the table, seriously, I really appreciate it. I hope I am not causing annoyances to fellow GoPro users that love their product, but it is hard because this equipment is my first one, I waited so long, I got my Drones and everything ready, and see zero action by GoPro to admitting this issue or at least telling that they are working on this with an estimate, this is absolutely ridiculous for a 400 Euro camera (cost in EU).

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi you are correct if the shutdown is not immediate I just keep turning it on and off till I achieve a instant shutdown Now on the other would depend on which functions you have enabled I can manage 100% capacity for 4 days till I see 98% then after that seems to start dropping faster to the likes of 87-88% I try to keep all files off my sd card I just delete them after copy but ocasionally the camera won't do the last file so can either connect to pc do it that way or format the card in the camera but usually do it on comp after copying media

but even so ocasionally the camera will do the random drain  5 times total now ,even though I thought it had shut down properly This is still unacceptable this thing cost nearly as much as my panasonic G85 so not cheap by any means and still GoPro has not publically admited there is a serious issue and still asks that one contacts technical support to what end I don't know because we all have tried every thing currently known

and those who have had replacements are still facing this issue

I think this is very poor most customewrs have had every camera made by gopro so the customers are the ones keeping this company afloat very poor indeed(in a recent feedback to gopro when asked I indicated the issues and how I felt and was asked to contact customer support for a solution that obviously dosen't exist otherwise we would all know about it by now

cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]

Hopefully a Nice Matte Black Hero 8 Black With a 8-300 optical micro Zoom (now that would look like a match box with a baseball bat hanging out in front) and it works as it should

Cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]

Hell Yea why not ask for a Hero V1 or even the pre production one before that v1

Lets say we had a Hero 8 Black  that had an issue would we ask for a Hero 7 Black ?

Cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Because the newer camera has cool features and if there wern't these issues we would all be happy actually I didn't really need it should have waited till years end  and possibly picked up a Hero 8 Black with even more features without any issues

who knows

Cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi ,as I said we have all done that the issue remains but we have a few things we can do to get around a serious issue but it is not a fix just a work around that works sometimes sometimes not hell my battery in the Panasonic g85 is still on 4 bars after a month and is the same size battery obviously It dosent have wifi left on nor does my Hero 7 or any thing else on  that would drain the battery 5 days on we have 87-88% first 4 days can keep 100%  that is still unacceptable and that's if you are lucky enough not to find id dead next day due to a random drain my count is 5 now only got it end feb

Cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,I guess the SD card thing is no absoulute standard is adhered to like usb and usb sticks  some work in some devices others dont like usb cables some work some don't t usb 2,3 are supposed to be backward compatible some devices are some arn't some usb hubs and  pcie cards are some arn't  he market is not controlled properly if all these things had to be certified we would not get this issue or it would be rare note case being you won't get your gopro to connect via usb 3 none of my ports do and there are intel etron nec nor will a usb 3 cable work even if hooked to a usb 2 port so there you go 4 different usb 3 sticks  to find one compatible with my sony head unit most usb 2 worked fine but I wanted to be able to transfer music to them fast not like watching paint dry like the gopro using outdated usb 2 with 4k files silly but I think this is due to no controller chip available that supports usb 3  well I couldent find one they would have had to design one or get it fabricated or have it in the main processor

Cheers,Brent

Hiker

[ New ]

The last few firmware update notes didn't even mention the issue so I don't think it's something that can be fixed on the software side. Maybe it's something with the power button.

Explorer

[ New ]
More likely it has to do with the Pericom PI3USB9281 chip that handles power management. GoPro may write the underlying camera and handling of the image data software, the actual chip hardware and instruction sets are created by other companies (in this case, Diodes Incorporated).
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,heres a link but note the always on bit

https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/gopro-hero7-teardown

I did actually come across another one but can't find it I'm sure a different usb controller chip was present  in that youtube post

cheers,Brent

Hiker

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]
Well clearly not gonna do anything.
It works great as long as you take the battery out.
Adventurer

[ New ]

your option   just a suggestion.  tuck it all away each time you do not use it   lucky for me I am good with minimal drain so nut sure why  some have it and some don;t  stil lrunning FW 1.51 and happy.

Tourist

[ New ]

If you don't have a battery on the GoPro the clock/date will be reset, and you'll have to manually configure it when you put the battery back in.  So it is definitely not a solution for me.  I personally don't mind battery drain that is predictible (2-5% per day)..... what kills me is completely battery drain (from 100% to 0%) in a short period of time (overnight, or a few hours).  I've seen complete battery drain in just 2 hours.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am having the same issue. Fully charged, put it all back in the protective case and get it ready, went to turn it on next morning and nada. Battery was dead. It was only in the bag turned off mind you, for overnight so I'm not sure how long it actually took, but honestly, a battery should last a lot longer than that. And when off it should be completely off. I don't see the need for any of the auto turn on/off by voice or otherwise features and I'd probably only use those when really needed, so that's all off too. The only thing I did not turn off were all LED's I as well have the beep sound to lowest, but that shouldn't be the issue nor the LED's since none were on when the camera was off. If it's wifi, wtf is it doing connecting to wifi when it's off? Certainly you could update it when it's turned on the next time yes? 

Also my date and time were fine. So I'm not sure what that other guy was talking about losing that data when he took the battery out, but I did not have that problem. I'm just a bit concerned about this draining so fast. It charges really fast, but still. And then in the protective case it comes in, why oh why would you not make it so you can open the side charging panel? Why do I need to remove it to have access?