Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

I just returned my gopro 7 hero black and after using it three times, the store checked out every mm of my camera, they were looking at it, two people, for about 8 minutes total and still called the store supervisor, I started sweating that I am left with that defunct product and they won't take it in. As soon as I showed them how I purchased equipment worth 5000 Euros on a yearly basis there and NEVER returned anything, they still accepted it. What a relief.

A lot of strange replies in this topic. First of all not-helpful GoPro Replies that keep making you do extra work. Also, having quick capture mode permanently OFF to save battery power when OFF, is ridiculous. So when I ride a bike I have to stop, take off gloves, turn it on, swipe around a tiny screen (each time adding risk for it to fall down), activate it, and then use it. Are you kidding me? Or when I fly Aerobatic planes, I have to trim the plane and fly without looking outside to fiddle around with the camera, yeah, great safety right there.... sigh.

Wifi and Bluetooth draining batteries when device is OFF, a joke also.

I will give GoPro one more chance with the GoPro 8 (whenever that comes out), and on a side note, horrible customer service, absolutely abysmal, horrible.

I want to thank all the GoPro users here that have done experiments and fiddled around, doing GoPro's job basically, you were much more helpful and competent than any GoPro employee or representative, it is because of YOU that I will give GoPro 8 a chance once it comes out, surely not because of GoPro.

Tourist

Well, after two weeks of testing I can make a statement regarding my camera (taking in account that all wireless connections are OFF).

If after pushing OFF button the cameras display is turning OFF together with blinking diodes - the battery inside camera drains about 5% per 24 hours. I do not know if this is normal or not.

If display stays ON 5-6 sec longer after red diodes turns OFF - the battery drains during one night to zero.

For me it looks like FW problem. And this is very common problem with Hero 7.

Adventurer

History of the new design was a ton of issues. to name a few, leaking, blank screen, sound,.  As GoPro Improves  they will let the oldeer camera fall.  

If what was said about wifi staying on and draining   maybe everyone should start making  videos and posting.  good luck on  the next camera.  

Tourist

Had the same problem, i returned for replacement, now i will see what will they send me
Adventurer

If you are not happy wit hteh hero 7 why not request a hero 6?

Tourist

I was pretty happy with my hero 4 silver, i don't know why i did change it
Adventurer

A lot of complaints about the hero 7 why it may  be a good idea  t orequest a Hero 6 replacement then continue with the issues.  I understand the yare the same price just a newer camera?

Hiker

[ Edited ]

@milosstepanovic wrote:
I was pretty happy with my hero 4 silver, i don't know why i did change it

Oh yeah, me too. And I still use it when I need a reliable camera. Guess all those paid youtubers did their job. And now they keep shtum about the freezing issues. I even missed to record some moments with my 2 yo daughter because of the freezes.

Hero 4 is smaller, audio is better, sky color looks way better, battery lasts much longer and it's light enough for cheap gimbals even with an ND filter attached to it.

Yes, hypersmooth is a great feature, but at the moment I suggest buying a used Hero 4 Silver and the Hohem iSteady gimbal. This way way you even have motion blur if you use an ND filter - looks much more cinematic. And is much cheaper than a Hero 7 Black.

Gopro support always gives the same advise with SD cards, batteries, manual update. Thismay be a workaround for some of the users, but it still is a thing the customers aren't supposed to do. They don't want to fiddle, they want a working camera. With every other camera, even very cheap ones, I have I don't have to deal with updates and in-camera-formating: Either the card works or it is too slow which results in a stopped recording in the worst case.