Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

[ New ]
What a joke!
I wonder if mr Woodman realises what a pile of crap his latest camera is or whether his staff keep the truth away from him. Although as a multi billionaire I suspect he doesn’t give a f—k
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm sure there are enough dispondant hero 7 owners here to start one.  

Hiker

[ New ]

"Hello Everyone. Sorry to hear about your trouble with the camera. If you have already performed recommended troubleshooting steps (manually update camera, use recommended SD card, turn off features such Wi-Fi, wake on voice, and the like, charge the camera properly using GoPro provided battery and USB-C charging cable) and the issue on battery drain is still being observed, let our Support team know. This way, they will be able to help you with the next steps. When you contact Support, please have your camera and camera information ready so you get assisted as quickly as possible. You may reach the team by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Thanks!"

I cant believe Go Pro posted this!! This is the same crap you get when you call! Except when you demand a supervisor and they finally admit it!

This is unbeliveable! And they are still selling these and not telling anyone!

Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro nowadays is just acting like one of those scam companies. So disappointing.
I guess they will go bankrupt soon and they are just trying to save whatever they can.
They have no clue what they´re doing or how to run a company.
So sad we trusted them.
Did anyone tried to reach them by Twitter, or in other public way?

Bad publicity is something they probably don´t want. It´s really weird that there are not many videos on youtube talking about this.

Tourist

[ New ]

"This way, they will be able to help you with the next steps"

Are you for real?, why don't you just post the 'next steps' here?.  Or do you want to tell everyone who contact Support the 'secret' fix?.  Not only that, by you'll have to through their recipe of troubleshooting steps (did you turn off the camera?, if wifi off?, is gps off?, voice command on?, approved SD card, original battery?, we'll send you a replacement, etc,etc,etc). Unbelieable. 

Tourist

[ New ]
For sure my last GOPRO.
I am gonna try to contact Some YouTube vloggers.
Maybe the can test de GOPRO 7 again and then we know if there is a honest opinion from them and not a sponsered one.
Tourist

[ New ]

So guys I have sent replys to 3 influencers a message on Youtube regarding there GOPRO 7 test and review vlog.

I don’t know if the will do something with it, but people have to know when buying this camera.

Hiker

[ New ]

This is a joke. You get 30 days to return it, within that 30 days they keep you strung along with replacememnt units that take 2 weeks to get to you, and after the 30 days you are stuck with it! So my intire Gopro hero 7 black experience is gonna be waiting for new ones to arrive that have the same problem! Doesnt get more conniving than this.. Thanks Nick Woodman!

Adventurer

[ New ]

Yep sounds like a million plus cameras and a fraction of users.. can't be that bad or is it.. 

Hiker

[ New ]
A fraction that are actually complaining on here yes! But this problem is massive and wide spread. Out of the million cameras, 500k of them are still sitting on shelves.
Hiker

[ New ]

I have spoken with technical support and it tells me the following:

Captura.PNG

That he has one and the problem does not happen to him... I dont believe it

Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 battery drain

[ New ]
We know that already. Not all have this problem. Only some of them!
Hiker

[ New ]

I just called technical support Spain (the number that appears on the web) and tells me that it is normal that the battery is spent in this way ... And that you send me a new battery ... I can not believe that to say that in less than 24 hours pass the battery from 100% to 0% even I get the camera warm while being turned off in the drawer and tell me that ...

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm saying this again and again, but I want to say this once again. Maybe noone of you experienced this before but I had this issue also with my old Hero 5 black. And I had 3 units, each of them had same problem with battery (diffrent story that main issue with hero5 was no sound in around 5% of all videos) which was huge power consumption 100 to 0 in few hours.

You can check this with your cameras, just turn all lights off or go to some dark room and watch screen after you power off the camera. The screen will be not completly off. It will be turned on, but black. Also temperature will go high like it was on wifi or something. And because of this it will die in one night. Ofcourse this happens even if every additional feature is completly off (wifi, voice, gps, etc.).

It won't happen everytime, only sometimes, as you already experienced, but this is how it works.

Hiker

[ New ]

I noticed that too sometimes. When I see that, I just take the battery out, to make sure it's off, and then put it back. I don't have the battery drain issue often since I do that.

How freaking hard must it be to GoPro to make a device that when you shut it down it's really and completely OFF? Is it so hard??

Hiker

[ New ]

Well. Maybe there is no enginers. Maybe they all are surfers, MTbikers or sky divers? xD. Then it could make sence ;).

Adventurer

[ New ]

Hero 5 came out and quick capture off  kept the camer in a drain state.    4 years later.... 

Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 battery drain

[ New ]
@flaj : you mean the screen is off but the backlight remains on?
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey ! I have notice exactly the same !

But why sometimes the GOPRO is turning off directly when you push the power button and sometimes ir's turning off after 5 seconds pushing it ?

Adventurer

[ New ]

Also take note on turn on not just turn off.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes. When this issue happens it looks like everything is off. But when you check the screen in dark place it looks like it's not that off as you expect. Black active screen with very low brightness. Maybe it could be lighter if I had brightness set to 100%, but for all the time I keep it on 10%.

Had this issue with Hero5 and Hero7, both Blacks (Hero6 never in my hands).

To be honest, Hero7 is way more stable than Hero5 was, as I have experienced that only 3-4 times. With Hero5 it was a lot worse.

Or maybe I'm the only lucky one, cause other people from this topic say it's not that good with their cameras.

Adventurer

[ New ]

these shut downs are  done all differently, try shutting down at  turno on how long it takes to turn off, and ten minutes in.  each shut down differs. never do you get a correct one.

Tourist

[ New ]

For sure, all can be resumed that is a firmware problem.

I did mutiple tests also and it's draining a lot when your camera did not turn off directly when you want to turn it off.

It's better to wait to have a normal turning off. I mean to restart your gopro if after the red light the cam is turning off 5 seconds later.

But my question to other users, anyway during day or night if i am not touching the go pro, draining is like 8 percents for 8 hours "in average".

Do you have the same lost ?

I mean the best will be if you are going to trip without access to electricity or just powerbank to put off the battery outside the gopro during the time you are not using it.

Thank you buddies ! We will find a solution !

Explorer

[ New ]
According to the Important Product + Safety Instructions that came with your camera, "When possible, remove the battery from the equipment when not in use."
Tourist

[ New ]

I'll just re post my reply from 5 days ago.

I’ve be following this discussion and decided to run tests of my own. Yes I have the same battery drain problem. Over the course of a week I logged the times it took the screen to go off when shut down.
I have found that the longer the screen stays awake after red led shows during press to shut down, the quicker the battery drains.
If I push to turn off and the screen goes off almost immediately after the red led flashes. I have found the battery doesn’t drain.

Forgot to add. When switching off ,
Release pressure on the button immediately after seeing the red led flash.  The display must shut off straight away.

I am still have 100 percent success with this .  If after shutting down the screen stays on for a while, Wait for it to go out then restart and turn off again.  I know its a bit of a pain, on/off on/off but i can be sure my battery wont go flat over night.

Though I agree that gopro should address this issue  asap.

Previous poster is right about battery removal.    But who can be bothered.  I dont have to do that on any of my other devices.

Adventurer

[ New ]

If you have the Battery drain are you Requesting a Free Battery that will clearly say to GoPro wait why all the free batteries.   Like said Pull your car battery every time you do not use it   no  you pull the battery only when  you tend not to use  it for a longer period thart can be  like a minute to  ~ 

Yeah its going to be adddressedddd

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi 8% drain in 8 hrs would depend on battery condition wether you had turned it on off within that period   wether quick start wifi voice control bluetooth  on  if they were I'd expect more than 8 percent if it is a new battery no with all those off on mine was down to 84 -87   percent  3 different tests after 5 days sitting The  battery reporting is flawed anyway because as per one of my posts one reading said battery reading went from 84% when first turned on then turned off then on again it said 100% one instance camera would not turn on first time then did and said 0% but then when I charged it it only took 10-20 minutes and it said 100% so go figure

but all tests so far with any options that would use  battery power off usually dont notice any drain till 5 th day providing I don't get the random drain issue which I cant rely on anyway after experincing the mis reporting issue above but the 3 total drains were real because battery was definitely flat

As for customer support asking us to go through the diagnosis with them I think most of us have already done that stuff ourselves unless as someone else stated they have a magic fix theyt are not telling us about

Cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

I m facing the same battery issue here. It is extremelly annoying to have such a device not working correctly.

And one time, after annother "discharge in the night while eveything is off", I even find the SD card corrupt. All videos/photos of several days of my current world trip were lost + have to buy another SD. Just guessing, but I strongly suspect that both facts are related

Sorry GP but I am reporting that this product it s not working and you don t leave me the choice to put bad comments/rates on tech reviews and retail web stores.

I encourage you guys of this thread to do so, we can t let people buy something that does NOT work.

Very disappointed

Tourist

[ New ]
Super frustrating this bug and something costing GoPro to loose so much credibility unfortunately. I read all the forums I could, spent hours on research which got me nowhere.

So I rang GoPro (recommended) given my device is under warranty. Recommendation was to manually install firmware which you can find this idea as a common fix theme through some of the forums. I had to buy a new compatible micro also before I did it though.

One thing I noticed before I manually reinstalled the firmware I found really interesting was if I took my old sd card out overnight and i found the issue wasn’t there. Perhaps something with offline as indexing perhaps with bad sd cards. I remember seeing someone suggesting this somewhere..

with the fresh sandiak sd I reinstalled the firmware “manually” and I haven’t had the same issue for about a month now. I Use the camera a couple of times a week. I continue to try make sure it’s working while it’s under warranty because I really don’t want that bug back.

One thing that would be useful from GoPro besides a fix that maybe validates and notifies of issues with cards without running down the battery. Maybe leave 1% buffer power to notify the user the battery is flat on the front lcd screen. When I was having the problem I kept pressing that power button repeatedly not knowing it was flat. Very Annoying.

I hope this helps someone.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, new GoPro Hero 7 Black owner here!

I've bought my first Go Pro few days ago and I want to raise the first issue that seem to be a common one reading the latest pages of this topic.

Two days ago I left my Go Pro charging all the night, and yesterday morning it was 100%. Fine right? So I've ended up turning it off and not using it.

I've tried to turn it ON today (so 24H after) and it did not work because the battery was 0%..

So I've put in charge and I've notice another issue: I was not more able to connect it to my phone!

I had to factory reset it and pair it again. (it seems that the camera was not generating the wi-fi network despite, off course, wi-fi setting was on)

Now it's charging again and I'm goint to actuallty try it outside...

Hiker

[ New ]
Join the club, I’ve just sent my 3rd hero black back for refund. These issues have been going on since launch and still no resolution. I suspect there never will be. If I were you I would return for a refund while you still can.
Very disappointing camera with appalling support!
Hiker

[ New ]

Prueba a poner 2.4 en vez de 5

Hiker

[ New ]
Por lo que yo leo, los problemas con la Black 7 son todavía peores que con la Silver 7.

Hasta hace poco consideraba GoPro gama alta, cuando yo no tenía esta cámara.
Explorer

[ New ]
Appalling support that has been working with you and have replaced your camera 3x? While I understand your frustrations, it sounds like very good support that is trying to work with you. Are you sure it's not your battery or SD cards?

My cameras work great. I did have some freezing in one but I was able to narrow it down to one if my SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. It would also cause battery drain if I left it in the camera overnight. I also had one of the Chinese manufactured batteries that didn't perform as well as my other Vietnamese batteries. I just keep that one in my HERO5 Black that I use with my Karma drone. Since the drone powers the camera, it's not as important to have the best battery in it.

I mostly only use my dual charger as well, but do occasionally charge with the battery in the camera for auto cloud uploading. Most often though, I use the GoPro app and QuikStory to transfer over and create a video automatically when I'm done shooting. When u get home I remove the battery and SD card. I transfer my media to my computer using a USB card reader and charge my battery/batteries using the dual charger. As I've mentioned before, I don't have any issues and the HERO7 Black cameras I have have been amazing. Hypersmooth and TimeWarp continue to blow me away with how good they are. Like most people, I'm very happy with the HERO7 Black.
Hiker

[ New ]

"Appalling support that has been working with you and have replaced your camera 3x? While I understand your frustrations, it sounds like very good support that is trying to work with you. Are you sure it's not your battery or SD cards?"

OMG!!! Do you wk for GP support!! I cant believe this! 

Adventurer

[ New ]

OMG Dan are you Nick woodman?  you surf, you own gopro and you are. the man.  Dan is Nick.

Hiker

[ New ]

OMG, Im sorry.. Was I outta line? Yeah, great support! Keep sending out new units and batteries, and after that dont work, finally admit theres a problem! Just beyond the return window too! Ok, great support! 

Hiker

[ New ]
Yes appalling Support.
First bought direct from GoPro kept giving the same answer. Manually reinstall software.
Sent back and it took them nearly three months to refund.
2nd and third from John Lewis. They replaced twice, both had battery drain, locking issues and live streaming issues. But good to
Hear at least someone had one that worked!
Tourist

[ New ]

SIMPLE PROCESS TO STOP BATTERY DRAIN

1.- Charge your camera at 100% and Disconect from USB cable,

OR PowerOff your Hero 7

2.- Open de battery cover and pull out the battery for a few seconds, then put it again, close the Battery Cover.

You will see a little flash of red ligth

IF YOU STORE your camera in this condition the battery IS NOT DRAIN.

CONCLUSION:

If you charge or use the camera and shoutdown, ALWAYS the camera is doing "samething" even is OFF,

but if you pull out the battery, the "ghost process" go down and Battery Hero 7 is NOT DRAIN.

Not a Real Solution, but IT IS WORK !!

Tourist

[ New ]
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey Don't mean to be rude but this is not a solution and I can confirm it might seem to work for you but it does not the drain issue is random it can happen anytimeThe led flashes every time a battery is  inserted and obviously if you pull the battery the camera won't flatten it

Cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree with you, it is not a real solution.

The real solution will came with a Firmware Update

Adventurer

[ New ]

when the sd card is placed in the Led flashs.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello, it looks I'm on board with other "lucky" users.

Same issue - with everything OFF and 1.7 FW the battery drains in one night. 

My situation is even worth - I do not have official support in my country so I can not send them even email.

I have to inform all my friends and subscribers to switch to another brand (sony) to be on a safe side.

Hiker

[ New ]

Does anyone use Twitter?
Maybe they would say anything about this there if we make enough noise.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have just upgraded from my Hero Black 5 and also had this same issue, I left the camera for a few hours and came back to a totally flat battery. I then used one of my batteries from my Hero 5 and when I came back the next morning the battery was once again totally flat.

I returned the camera and got another one and now I will see how I get on with this one. Got to say I am not surprised as I went through 2 Hero 5's due to faults/bugs.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

For me the drain is completely random.  I charge to 100% then the following morning i go to switch it on and its 0%.  Ive had the camera 2 months now and its only happened 4 times.  I have wifi/voice all switched off so that cant be my issue.  Im not overly annoyed about it as i have spare batteries but there clearly is a problem.

The chances of this issue being resolved in a firmware update are pretty slim...the tech team at gopro will be focusing on the Hero 8 so dont expect major improvements from any updates guys...thats just life.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Well for some Life goes on:    today I am set to go camera in hand and charged up fro 65% I am positive the camera has 100% ready to go, because  all is off again

VC: wake On N/A that drains     in 8 hours time noted on the manual if not mistaken.

VC  grey OFF, not set up.

GoPro settings 2K760F protune off Hypersmooth On, Auto low light may be off/on

Regoin ntsc, gps    off. 

QC On, beeps On

And knowing all wireless connections Off, greyed on the prefrence  Cloud is off.  so that said anyone ever mention thecloud if that is enabled on tehir devices?

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm checking now the idea which was mentioned here before - the problem is that the camera is not switching OFF completely sometimes. The visual sign of it: when pushing OFF - the screen remains ON 5-6 sec after red diode stops blinking. But both should stop simultaneously. So you have to put it on and off again as many times as needed (2-3) to meet that condition. With first battery I've tested this during 5 days (switching camera ON and OFF 5-6 times per day) and drained battery from 100 to 20%. Now I have put another battery and will continue the test.

Adventurer

[ New ]

All I do is  press the on, see the red flicker then sound and screen goes gay twice and  blank OSD and then ready. if I hit the Mode on.

If I hit QC to turn on    almost hte same.

when I turn off I make sure I hold til lI hear the  BEEPS and let go, watch it   close down and look for that gray screen to actually go solid black.    some of the shut downs differ due to just checking  to video and the time.

If GoPro can give hteactual figures of start up time in mode, and Qucik, and shut down time in mode and quick then we  can  more or less say there is part of the issue/

quick is to do all this automatically no guessing and here we are guessing why there is a drain.