Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

Does anyone use Twitter?
Maybe they would say anything about this there if we make enough noise.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have just upgraded from my Hero Black 5 and also had this same issue, I left the camera for a few hours and came back to a totally flat battery. I then used one of my batteries from my Hero 5 and when I came back the next morning the battery was once again totally flat.

I returned the camera and got another one and now I will see how I get on with this one. Got to say I am not surprised as I went through 2 Hero 5's due to faults/bugs.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

For me the drain is completely random.  I charge to 100% then the following morning i go to switch it on and its 0%.  Ive had the camera 2 months now and its only happened 4 times.  I have wifi/voice all switched off so that cant be my issue.  Im not overly annoyed about it as i have spare batteries but there clearly is a problem.

The chances of this issue being resolved in a firmware update are pretty slim...the tech team at gopro will be focusing on the Hero 8 so dont expect major improvements from any updates guys...thats just life.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Well for some Life goes on:    today I am set to go camera in hand and charged up fro 65% I am positive the camera has 100% ready to go, because  all is off again

VC: wake On N/A that drains     in 8 hours time noted on the manual if not mistaken.

VC  grey OFF, not set up.

GoPro settings 2K760F protune off Hypersmooth On, Auto low light may be off/on

Regoin ntsc, gps    off. 

QC On, beeps On

And knowing all wireless connections Off, greyed on the prefrence  Cloud is off.  so that said anyone ever mention thecloud if that is enabled on tehir devices?

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm checking now the idea which was mentioned here before - the problem is that the camera is not switching OFF completely sometimes. The visual sign of it: when pushing OFF - the screen remains ON 5-6 sec after red diode stops blinking. But both should stop simultaneously. So you have to put it on and off again as many times as needed (2-3) to meet that condition. With first battery I've tested this during 5 days (switching camera ON and OFF 5-6 times per day) and drained battery from 100 to 20%. Now I have put another battery and will continue the test.

Highlighted
Adventurer

All I do is  press the on, see the red flicker then sound and screen goes gay twice and  blank OSD and then ready. if I hit the Mode on.

If I hit QC to turn on    almost hte same.

when I turn off I make sure I hold til lI hear the  BEEPS and let go, watch it   close down and look for that gray screen to actually go solid black.    some of the shut downs differ due to just checking  to video and the time.

If GoPro can give hteactual figures of start up time in mode, and Qucik, and shut down time in mode and quick then we  can  more or less say there is part of the issue/

quick is to do all this automatically no guessing and here we are guessing why there is a drain.

Highlighted
Hiker

I have found the best solution. I'm gonna sell my GoPro stuff and my problems will be gone forever.

Last week in Bassano del Grappa, flying paraglider in the Alps. Found my gopro completly useless due to battery draining issue (when off).

Sometimes couldn't even turn it ON if not reconnected the battery. Imagine how pissed I was when I had to pull the battery out and in, 1500 meters above the rocky mountains in the turbulent air, making 2 photos, turn off, then land after 5 hours and couldn't make third photo because it was completly dead.

For me... it's just too expensive jewelry.

Highlighted
Hiker

As somebody above mentioned...sometimes when switching the gopro off, the screen remains on for a few seconds after the beeps and the led has stopped...i dont believe this is connected to the battery drain...well not with my camera anyway.