Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

Super frustrating this bug and something costing GoPro to loose so much credibility unfortunately. I read all the forums I could, spent hours on research which got me nowhere.

So I rang GoPro (recommended) given my device is under warranty. Recommendation was to manually install firmware which you can find this idea as a common fix theme through some of the forums. I had to buy a new compatible micro also before I did it though.

One thing I noticed before I manually reinstalled the firmware I found really interesting was if I took my old sd card out overnight and i found the issue wasn’t there. Perhaps something with offline as indexing perhaps with bad sd cards. I remember seeing someone suggesting this somewhere..

with the fresh sandiak sd I reinstalled the firmware “manually” and I haven’t had the same issue for about a month now. I Use the camera a couple of times a week. I continue to try make sure it’s working while it’s under warranty because I really don’t want that bug back.

One thing that would be useful from GoPro besides a fix that maybe validates and notifies of issues with cards without running down the battery. Maybe leave 1% buffer power to notify the user the battery is flat on the front lcd screen. When I was having the problem I kept pressing that power button repeatedly not knowing it was flat. Very Annoying.

I hope this helps someone.

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Hi, new GoPro Hero 7 Black owner here!

I've bought my first Go Pro few days ago and I want to raise the first issue that seem to be a common one reading the latest pages of this topic.

Two days ago I left my Go Pro charging all the night, and yesterday morning it was 100%. Fine right? So I've ended up turning it off and not using it.

I've tried to turn it ON today (so 24H after) and it did not work because the battery was 0%..

So I've put in charge and I've notice another issue: I was not more able to connect it to my phone!

I had to factory reset it and pair it again. (it seems that the camera was not generating the wi-fi network despite, off course, wi-fi setting was on)

Now it's charging again and I'm goint to actuallty try it outside...

Highlighted
Hiker

Join the club, I’ve just sent my 3rd hero black back for refund. These issues have been going on since launch and still no resolution. I suspect there never will be. If I were you I would return for a refund while you still can.
Very disappointing camera with appalling support!
Highlighted
Hiker

Prueba a poner 2.4 en vez de 5

Highlighted
Hiker

Por lo que yo leo, los problemas con la Black 7 son todavía peores que con la Silver 7.

Hasta hace poco consideraba GoPro gama alta, cuando yo no tenía esta cámara.
Highlighted
Explorer

Appalling support that has been working with you and have replaced your camera 3x? While I understand your frustrations, it sounds like very good support that is trying to work with you. Are you sure it's not your battery or SD cards?

My cameras work great. I did have some freezing in one but I was able to narrow it down to one if my SanDisk Extreme v30 cards. It would also cause battery drain if I left it in the camera overnight. I also had one of the Chinese manufactured batteries that didn't perform as well as my other Vietnamese batteries. I just keep that one in my HERO5 Black that I use with my Karma drone. Since the drone powers the camera, it's not as important to have the best battery in it.

I mostly only use my dual charger as well, but do occasionally charge with the battery in the camera for auto cloud uploading. Most often though, I use the GoPro app and QuikStory to transfer over and create a video automatically when I'm done shooting. When u get home I remove the battery and SD card. I transfer my media to my computer using a USB card reader and charge my battery/batteries using the dual charger. As I've mentioned before, I don't have any issues and the HERO7 Black cameras I have have been amazing. Hypersmooth and TimeWarp continue to blow me away with how good they are. Like most people, I'm very happy with the HERO7 Black.
Highlighted
Hiker

"Appalling support that has been working with you and have replaced your camera 3x? While I understand your frustrations, it sounds like very good support that is trying to work with you. Are you sure it's not your battery or SD cards?"

OMG!!! Do you wk for GP support!! I cant believe this! 

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

OMG Dan are you Nick woodman?  you surf, you own gopro and you are. the man.  Dan is Nick.