Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

Yes. When this issue happens it looks like everything is off. But when you check the screen in dark place it looks like it's not that off as you expect. Black active screen with very low brightness. Maybe it could be lighter if I had brightness set to 100%, but for all the time I keep it on 10%.

Had this issue with Hero5 and Hero7, both Blacks (Hero6 never in my hands).

To be honest, Hero7 is way more stable than Hero5 was, as I have experienced that only 3-4 times. With Hero5 it was a lot worse.

Or maybe I'm the only lucky one, cause other people from this topic say it's not that good with their cameras.

Highlighted
Adventurer

these shut downs are  done all differently, try shutting down at  turno on how long it takes to turn off, and ten minutes in.  each shut down differs. never do you get a correct one.

Highlighted
Tourist

For sure, all can be resumed that is a firmware problem.

I did mutiple tests also and it's draining a lot when your camera did not turn off directly when you want to turn it off.

It's better to wait to have a normal turning off. I mean to restart your gopro if after the red light the cam is turning off 5 seconds later.

But my question to other users, anyway during day or night if i am not touching the go pro, draining is like 8 percents for 8 hours "in average".

Do you have the same lost ?

I mean the best will be if you are going to trip without access to electricity or just powerbank to put off the battery outside the gopro during the time you are not using it.

Thank you buddies ! We will find a solution !

Highlighted
Explorer

According to the Important Product + Safety Instructions that came with your camera, "When possible, remove the battery from the equipment when not in use."
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I'll just re post my reply from 5 days ago.

I’ve be following this discussion and decided to run tests of my own. Yes I have the same battery drain problem. Over the course of a week I logged the times it took the screen to go off when shut down.
I have found that the longer the screen stays awake after red led shows during press to shut down, the quicker the battery drains.
If I push to turn off and the screen goes off almost immediately after the red led flashes. I have found the battery doesn’t drain.

Forgot to add. When switching off ,
Release pressure on the button immediately after seeing the red led flash.  The display must shut off straight away.

I am still have 100 percent success with this .  If after shutting down the screen stays on for a while, Wait for it to go out then restart and turn off again.  I know its a bit of a pain, on/off on/off but i can be sure my battery wont go flat over night.

Though I agree that gopro should address this issue  asap.

Previous poster is right about battery removal.    But who can be bothered.  I dont have to do that on any of my other devices.

Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

If you have the Battery drain are you Requesting a Free Battery that will clearly say to GoPro wait why all the free batteries.   Like said Pull your car battery every time you do not use it   no  you pull the battery only when  you tend not to use  it for a longer period thart can be  like a minute to  ~ 

Yeah its going to be adddressedddd

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi 8% drain in 8 hrs would depend on battery condition wether you had turned it on off within that period   wether quick start wifi voice control bluetooth  on  if they were I'd expect more than 8 percent if it is a new battery no with all those off on mine was down to 84 -87   percent  3 different tests after 5 days sitting The  battery reporting is flawed anyway because as per one of my posts one reading said battery reading went from 84% when first turned on then turned off then on again it said 100% one instance camera would not turn on first time then did and said 0% but then when I charged it it only took 10-20 minutes and it said 100% so go figure

but all tests so far with any options that would use  battery power off usually dont notice any drain till 5 th day providing I don't get the random drain issue which I cant rely on anyway after experincing the mis reporting issue above but the 3 total drains were real because battery was definitely flat

As for customer support asking us to go through the diagnosis with them I think most of us have already done that stuff ourselves unless as someone else stated they have a magic fix theyt are not telling us about

Cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi

I m facing the same battery issue here. It is extremelly annoying to have such a device not working correctly.

And one time, after annother "discharge in the night while eveything is off", I even find the SD card corrupt. All videos/photos of several days of my current world trip were lost + have to buy another SD. Just guessing, but I strongly suspect that both facts are related

Sorry GP but I am reporting that this product it s not working and you don t leave me the choice to put bad comments/rates on tech reviews and retail web stores.

I encourage you guys of this thread to do so, we can t let people buy something that does NOT work.

Very disappointed