Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

[ New ]

Hi @bompelbob

If you haven't already, please run a manual software update on your camera.

https://gopro.com/update/hero5

Then please proceed with the steps on Short Record Times and see how your camera fares.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

The manual update DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM !

So stop hiding yourselves behind it please Gopro Company, and work on a proper solution for the unacceptable issues with this expensive camera

Adventurer

[ New ]

if your battery drains. factory rest your camera say no to everything but the agreement. then go and start turning off the quick capture and  test out the   issue if it still drains  head to gopros  chat and phone and as well the feedback and get your querry in , the forum only hears nothing more.

Tourist

[ New ]
My GoPro drain battery until wifi and voice commands are off. It's hard love this camera if you can't use it because haven't battery... This is a major issue, we need a fix
Tourist

[ New ]
My GoPro drain battery even wifi and voice commands are off.

It's hard love this camera if you can't use it because haven't battery... This is a major issue, we need a fix
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @davidm5258,

Have you tried updating your camera to the latest firmware?

Please check manual firmware update instruction: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras 

If issue persist contact our customer support team via phone or chat. 

Regards,

=-Jay 

Adventurer

[ New ]

gopro: how many cameras of this issue were reported sent in?  no records 

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes. I'm on last firmware version
GoPro

[ New ]

Got it @davidm5258,

If you already followed those recommended workflow I would suggest to contact customer support team via phone or chat.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

The same situation here.

I have:

• 1 Original GoPro battery (made in Vietnam)
  • 1 Original GoPro battery (made in China)
  • 1 Original GoPro battery from my old GoPro Hero 5 (made in Vietnam)
  • SanDisk Extreme U3 64Gb (recommended one)
  • GPS is OFF, Voice is OFF, WiFi is OFF
  • Quick Capture is ON

All these batteries, in the GoPro Hero 5 do not have any issue.

All these batteries, in the GoPro Hero 7, have the same problem after shortly recording something (from OFF state with Quick Capture) after few hours the battery is dead.

The manual update I’ve already tried => no luck. I went back to the shop and explained the situation. They accepted to replace the camera since they said it must be a faulty unit. I accepted and I was happy, until I went out for short filming.

I came back in the evening with 70% battery, transferred 2 videos via Wifi (2.4Gz), deactivated the Wifi and turned the camera off.

Today morning the camera was dead! ☹

So since the second camera has exactly the same behavior, I would say it just bad SW.

I am so disappointed. I loved my GP Hero5, so I supposed the 7 will be much better.

The only thing which I am doing different than GP sais is the first setup process. By default when you first turn on the camera, it camera expects to connect to it via the APP and make some settings.

I cannot do that since by default the GoPro Hero 7 is starting with its 5Gz Wifi ON and since the Channel used by GoPro is illegal in Europe, none of the phones or tablets I have can see the camera and connect to it. This is the other big Problem of this Camera.

I have to cancel the setup Process, change the WiFi from 5 to 2.4 and then there is no Wizzard/Setup process anymore.

I have one week left, until I can return also the second camera and get my money back. With the current situation, I think this is what I will choose to do.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,  Sorry to hear of your issues esp since you are on holiday you state after recording you had 70% battery used or left ? how long did it take to transfer vids via wi fi and what battery percentage left after that   depending on  how old those batteries are they might say 100 % but may lack the capacity  depending on condition under real use

or the random shutdown bug may be the cause does this happen ocasionally or all the time  as for the wifi 5 ghz issue I wass un aware of this and think this is a serious oversight on gopros part whilst it does not effect me  as far as I'm aware I think it is apalling on gopros part

they would have been aware that channel 161 was off limits before production of the hero 7 as it seems it was an issue with previous model/models I'm  getting more and more brassed off with all these issues I'm hearing of

As I said previously if you know you will be using the camera next day charge all your batteries the night before  and leave the one in the camera on charge overnight till you are ready to use it next day like I do

Cheers,Brent

Hiker

[ New ]

That's interesting.
You guys are using 5GHz or 2.4GHz WiFi? In my case 5GHz never worked with my phone, even if the phone is compatible, so I'm using 2.4GHz. In my case, I just got a couple of battery drains in several months, and the freezing issue got fixed after disabling Low light setting.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi yer 2 lockups 2 drains since purchase in January when turning off dont know if it actually happend i let button go as soon as i hear beeps dont know if holding it any longer may trigger a startup without display dont thinkso but you never know but I still think considering the number of people with these issues and the fact that that channel should never been used by gopro in the first place is sad but I presume if you are using a frequency on the 5 ghz band you have to buy a license well the company that wishes to use it dunno not up with this stuff pretty sure I still got low light setting turned on and quick start turned all the other stuff off i use usb to transfer any vids etc otherwise pop the sd card out and use usb 3 thats a hassle at mo cause its in a shoot alloy case so just using slow usb 2 shame it hasn't got real usb 3.1 C but as far as i know there isn't a chip that supports it yet well in the type the go pro uses anyway
cheers,Brent
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Brent, try to use some punctuation marks and make some real sentences. That would make it easier for us to understand what you mean :)

Hiker

[ New ]

This issue happens since Hero5 Black - I don't think it's something bad with batteries (vietnam or china ones) but something wrong with software algorythm which is same in 5-7th generation of cameras (for power management).

I don't have any official info (different than "try reset camera and change sd card LOL) from GoPro so I can only gues whats the real problem.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi, I don't know resetting factory default implies one stuffed up the updating of firmware the other settings are user settings so whatever is set there are only settings from preset choices and despite hundreds of different sd cards out there as far as I'm concerned if it supports 4k video speeds it should work most who buy these cameras do homework b4 buying sd cards so most of us have pretty good proven cards so to blame a sd card for these issues is crap not tried it yet but I bet if I put one of my not on the list cards in the camera it would work fine I see no proof here that resetting the factory defaults has done anything but make work for people who have to set everything up again as for reverting to an earlier firmware only introduces more issues that were resolved in the newer firmware so don't waste your time buying different sd cards or resetting your camera unless you stuffed up firmware update it is a random issue that flattens the battery after shut down because the display if off but some thing is still happening in the hardware
Cheers Brent
Tourist

[ New ]
sorry nothing of any help to anyone in that message anyway and I only went to School to eat my lunch and look at the Girls anyway I wouldn't use WiFi to transfer anyway it's slower than USB 2 and is like watching paint dry and will surely flatten your battery faster what didn't you understand ?
Cheers,Brent
Hiker

[ New ]

Another thing in the "battery story", maybe that's some sort of clue.

Everytime I connect my GoPro to a wall charger (1A) (wifi off, voice off, Qcapture off, only gps on) it turns ON for no reason.

It also won't turn OFF by it self (I have it on autoOFF after 5mins). After I turn it OFF manualy - still connected - the LED indicator flashes 4 times, stop, 4 times, stop... Then I turned it ON and it showed me 91% and then in one moment went back to 97%. Very strange...

I've noticed that after setting up the autoupload to the cloud.

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro support only copy/paste the same menssages over and over, and don't fix the software problem with battery drain :(

Yes, I tryed every work around, but problem persist.

PD: @jayr3438 your link for update it's broken (404)

Tourist

[ New ]

So it seems we have all paid £400 for a state of the art action cam, plus, in my case another £150 + in accessories for a camera that is packed full of features we have to turn off if we want to leave the battery in and it may just have some juice in if we want to use it 1 day later. 

Other wise we leave the battery out and have a £400 paper weight. 

And yes, I have tried all the options mentioned, I have 4 batteries all GoPro official and all behave the same way. 

Seems the only work around is for GoPro to get their act together and update the firmware, which has not been mentioned by admin or I’d be happy to exchange my using for one that performs as expected at time of purchase. NOT  a refurb, I brought a new one so would like it exchanged for a new one. 

Admin care to comment. 

Tourist

[ New ]
This is the worst electronic produce I have every purchased. I bought Black 7 to get some ski video and both batteries died after five mins. They went directly from 70 percent to dead in about 30 seconds.
Tourist

[ New ]
@jayr3438

Is this battery drain problem with all cameras or just some? If it is problem with just some I will send it back for the replacement.

Camera is not usable. It drains fully charged battery with all options turned off (wifi, voice, gps, fast recording) and without SD card in under 8h.
Product is not complete.
Adventurer

[ New ]

I am thinking just a powerbank matching the Mah   to the USB port no internal battery .  Prob is  the canera  led does not come on for charge  and is a diff curcuit..

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi ,Not with you here,do you mean you left  the camera on without an sd card  and those options all off

the battery is sufficient for an hour and a bit while recordingh at say 4k even sitting there whilst turned on  I would expect it to  have lost a considerable amount in a few hours  Ithink  last time I looked just playing with menu think a drain of around 3% every 5-10 mins

Oh bugger the sky turned to crap not many stars tonight camera hanging off window outside usb cable through window from 2200 mah power bank that is hooked up to my computer usb hub charging the power bank how cool is that  and still fully charged gopro last night after 4 hours when I stopped

Cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]

It happens with all cameras, if you get a replacment, it will be the same.  The challenge is that it happens randomly, but very often.  It seems that for some reason the camera doesn't fully shutdown.  When you turn it off you can often see that it takes several seconds to turn off the screen, sometimes 10-15 seconds.  But I suspect that in some cases the screen turns off but it keeps running in the background, eventually draining the battery.  On the other hand, in my experience, under normal conditions (everything is well), the battery drains about 25% a week.  But randomly it will go to 0% in a few hours (as everyone has reported).  This NEVER happend with GoPro 5 or 6, I never had an unexpected 0% battery, and normal battery drain was about 5% a MONTH!.

Because of this I don't use the GP 7 as often as I used to use the 5 or 6, the 7 is simply not reliable, I never know if the next time I turn it on the battery will be 0%.

Hiker

[ New ]

I had that with my old Hero5 black - that's why I think it's something bad with all the "new case" series (5,6,7).

GoPro is not fully OFF, for example it keeps hour and date using battery. If you take it out it will reset date to 2016 after spending one night without any power source. So it's normal that it takes around 1-2% per 24h. The main problem is that 0% drain in some random situations.

Cheers!

Hiker

[ New ]

Im on my 3rd replacement in less than a month! Constant calling and speaking to customer support, and getting the same BS questions and wanting to do battery tests! Finally, after speaking with a customer support supervisor, they admitted its a known issue! Geee thanks!..

They are hoping for another software update that should fix the issue. 

They allowed me a full 30 days on this latest replacement, to return it for a refund. I may do that or deal with not leaving the battery in the camera, IDK yet. If I would have known this prior to getting the 7, I wouldn't have purchased it.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing that, good to hear that at least GP Support has acknowledged that this is in fact a 'known issue' (at least it is progress).  Unfortunately, the only way to find out about this problem is after it happens to you...... so welcome to the club... ;-).

Hiker

[ New ]

Btw. I wounder if this is known issue? ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QlCXetVnw

Skip to 2:52

GoPro Hero 7 Black Firmware 1.70 Update. Firmware 1.61 has indoor pan random jitter issues. GoPro Firmware 1.70 fixes cold weather stabilization? Get a GoP...
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, I dont like the sound of this didn't know the 6 only had a drain of 5% per month compared to what others are reporting here

hopefully this is firmware related else we might not get a fix or if it is hardware related we might all be getting a refurbished or new camera with an updated board depending on stocks

cheers,Brent

Tourist

[ New ]
I am so glad, I just read this post. I ordered 3 of them this afternoon directly form Gopro. I will be calling in the morning to cancel all 3.
Hiker

[ New ]

Im a bit disappointed and surprised, that they aren't saying anything openly, and have to basically be cornered before they finally admit it. A terrible way to do business, and are selling a defective product intentionally.

Tourist

[ New ]
I talked to a manager at Best Buy and he said they are going to start blowing these out at 300 bucks (you can already get this price from bidding sites). According to him, the 7 is by far the most returned electionic item in their inventory. Some of folks are returning 3-4 cameras before eventually asking for a full refund.
Hiker

[ New ]

Something I did over the last few days, since last Thursday, is take out the sd card within the camera, charge it up to 100%, and then over the weekend, turn the camera on and off multiple times, changed some settings, pressed the record button. This morning I have turn on the camera and checked the battery and it is at 70% which I think if acceptable given the usage over the time. Also during all this time I have not had the camera fully discharge or become hot during the whole time. Even thoguh I have had a few instances that the camera did not shut off immediately, with maybe a 3-5 second delay, especially if I only just switched it on and only most immediatly turn of off.

As with others this is leading me to beleive that the issue is indeed related to having and sdcard and some process scanning it, and getting stuck, during shutdown.

As the sdcard was out of the camera I did a full format of the card (three times as suggested by others on the forum), and will put the card back in again after the camera is charged to 100% again. As I have two sdcards that I used for this gopro, so I'll try 1 for a few days and then retry the process with the other.

Tourist

[ New ]
I’ve be following this discussion and decided to run tests of my own. Yes I have the same battery drain problem. Over the course of a week I logged the times it took the screen to go off when shut down.
I have found that the longer the screen stays awake after red led shows during press to shut down, the quicker the battery drains.
If I push to turn off and the screen goes off almost immediately after the red led flashes. I have found the battery doesn’t drain.
Tourist

[ New ]
Forgot to add. When switching off ,
Release pressure on the button immediately after seeing the red led flash
Hiker

[ New ]

Do you guys also have frozen screen while standby?
I tend to think that if your screen is frozen (for me it happens when I have low light setting on) is starts to warm up and battery drain is hard.

I have two official batteries, and I have these random battery drain only with one. It's a really weird issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

Sometimes my gopro hero 7 black won't start up so I think that the battery is completely empty. But when I take out the battery and put it back in, afterwards it does start up. So aside the real battery dry there is also another problem with this camera :(

Hiker

[ New ]

The same happens to me...
From time to time the camera when it works works well but others are downloaded from 100% to 0% in less than 24 hours and heated ...

Hiker

[ New ]

Does anybody else also more than one battery?
In my case it happens often with one battery, but not with the other.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have two batteries and the same thing happens to me

Hiker

[ New ]

I have two batteries and the same thing happens to me
Tourist

[ New ]

I have 3 GoPro original batteries, and the battery drains in either, regardless.  I'm 100% sure the problem is not in the battery, it is something in the GoPro 7 unit itself, that for some reason it doesn't shutdown correctly (it stays running doing something).  It doesn't always happen, but often and noticible.  Never had this problem with GoPro 5 or 6.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have x4 battery - same issue with any of them. Anyway, I don't think it's because of battieries - I think it's hero5-7 software thing.

Hiker

[ New ]

Different Hero 7, different batteries, different cards, different chargers - same issues.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, Exactly I'd like to know if there is anyone with A Hero 7 Black that has not had this issue because it seems very Clear that everyone with one so far has experienced this issue more than once   I didn't see any responces to the post I made about mine mis reporting battery charge level only strucjk this twice where it was reported 0 percent was hesitant to turn on but did so on second try but was still 0% but when put on charger only took 10 -20 mins to fully charge so it wasn't flat the other instance it said 83 or 87% cant remember off hand exactly which but after turning it off then back on said 100% so I cant really rely on  that side of things either

Cheers,Brent

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. Sorry to hear about your trouble with the camera. If you have already performed recommended troubleshooting steps (manually update camera, use recommended SD card, turn off features such Wi-Fi, wake on voice, and the like, charge the camera properly using GoPro provided battery and USB-C charging cable) and the issue on battery drain is still being observed, let our Support team know. This way, they will be able to help you with the next steps. When you contact Support, please have your camera and camera information ready so you get assisted as quickly as possible. You may reach the team by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Are you freaking serious???

Did you guys read ANYTHING we wrote?
Are we just talking to bots?
Is this people getting paid?

Hiker

[ New ]

I have nothing more to say about them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5Sa2Yq-2g

Circus Theme music sorry about the sound it cuts of at the end, stupid.
Hiker

[ New ]

I agree. Do not tell your customers to go to the technical service for this problem, there they do not have the solution, the solution must come through a firmware update that already takes too long.

I have had five different cameras and they all have this problem.