Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

I am so glad, I just read this post. I ordered 3 of them this afternoon directly form Gopro. I will be calling in the morning to cancel all 3.
Highlighted
Hiker

Im a bit disappointed and surprised, that they aren't saying anything openly, and have to basically be cornered before they finally admit it. A terrible way to do business, and are selling a defective product intentionally.

Highlighted
Tourist

I talked to a manager at Best Buy and he said they are going to start blowing these out at 300 bucks (you can already get this price from bidding sites). According to him, the 7 is by far the most returned electionic item in their inventory. Some of folks are returning 3-4 cameras before eventually asking for a full refund.
Highlighted
Hiker

Something I did over the last few days, since last Thursday, is take out the sd card within the camera, charge it up to 100%, and then over the weekend, turn the camera on and off multiple times, changed some settings, pressed the record button. This morning I have turn on the camera and checked the battery and it is at 70% which I think if acceptable given the usage over the time. Also during all this time I have not had the camera fully discharge or become hot during the whole time. Even thoguh I have had a few instances that the camera did not shut off immediately, with maybe a 3-5 second delay, especially if I only just switched it on and only most immediatly turn of off.

As with others this is leading me to beleive that the issue is indeed related to having and sdcard and some process scanning it, and getting stuck, during shutdown.

As the sdcard was out of the camera I did a full format of the card (three times as suggested by others on the forum), and will put the card back in again after the camera is charged to 100% again. As I have two sdcards that I used for this gopro, so I'll try 1 for a few days and then retry the process with the other.

Highlighted
Tourist

I’ve be following this discussion and decided to run tests of my own. Yes I have the same battery drain problem. Over the course of a week I logged the times it took the screen to go off when shut down.
I have found that the longer the screen stays awake after red led shows during press to shut down, the quicker the battery drains.
If I push to turn off and the screen goes off almost immediately after the red led flashes. I have found the battery doesn’t drain.
Highlighted
Tourist

Forgot to add. When switching off ,
Release pressure on the button immediately after seeing the red led flash
Highlighted
Hiker

Do you guys also have frozen screen while standby?
I tend to think that if your screen is frozen (for me it happens when I have low light setting on) is starts to warm up and battery drain is hard.

I have two official batteries, and I have these random battery drain only with one. It's a really weird issue.

Highlighted
Tourist

Sometimes my gopro hero 7 black won't start up so I think that the battery is completely empty. But when I take out the battery and put it back in, afterwards it does start up. So aside the real battery dry there is also another problem with this camera :(