Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

I am thinking just a powerbank matching the Mah   to the USB port no internal battery .  Prob is  the canera  led does not come on for charge  and is a diff curcuit..

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi ,Not with you here,do you mean you left  the camera on without an sd card  and those options all off

the battery is sufficient for an hour and a bit while recordingh at say 4k even sitting there whilst turned on  I would expect it to  have lost a considerable amount in a few hours  Ithink  last time I looked just playing with menu think a drain of around 3% every 5-10 mins

Oh bugger the sky turned to crap not many stars tonight camera hanging off window outside usb cable through window from 2200 mah power bank that is hooked up to my computer usb hub charging the power bank how cool is that  and still fully charged gopro last night after 4 hours when I stopped

Cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Tourist

It happens with all cameras, if you get a replacment, it will be the same.  The challenge is that it happens randomly, but very often.  It seems that for some reason the camera doesn't fully shutdown.  When you turn it off you can often see that it takes several seconds to turn off the screen, sometimes 10-15 seconds.  But I suspect that in some cases the screen turns off but it keeps running in the background, eventually draining the battery.  On the other hand, in my experience, under normal conditions (everything is well), the battery drains about 25% a week.  But randomly it will go to 0% in a few hours (as everyone has reported).  This NEVER happend with GoPro 5 or 6, I never had an unexpected 0% battery, and normal battery drain was about 5% a MONTH!.

Because of this I don't use the GP 7 as often as I used to use the 5 or 6, the 7 is simply not reliable, I never know if the next time I turn it on the battery will be 0%.

Highlighted
Hiker

I had that with my old Hero5 black - that's why I think it's something bad with all the "new case" series (5,6,7).

GoPro is not fully OFF, for example it keeps hour and date using battery. If you take it out it will reset date to 2016 after spending one night without any power source. So it's normal that it takes around 1-2% per 24h. The main problem is that 0% drain in some random situations.

Cheers!

Highlighted
Hiker

Im on my 3rd replacement in less than a month! Constant calling and speaking to customer support, and getting the same BS questions and wanting to do battery tests! Finally, after speaking with a customer support supervisor, they admitted its a known issue! Geee thanks!..

They are hoping for another software update that should fix the issue. 

They allowed me a full 30 days on this latest replacement, to return it for a refund. I may do that or deal with not leaving the battery in the camera, IDK yet. If I would have known this prior to getting the 7, I wouldn't have purchased it.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for sharing that, good to hear that at least GP Support has acknowledged that this is in fact a 'known issue' (at least it is progress).  Unfortunately, the only way to find out about this problem is after it happens to you...... so welcome to the club... ;-).

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Btw. I wounder if this is known issue? ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QlCXetVnw

Skip to 2:52

GoPro Hero 7 Black Firmware 1.70 Update. Firmware 1.61 has indoor pan random jitter issues. GoPro Firmware 1.70 fixes cold weather stabilization? Get a GoPro...
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, I dont like the sound of this didn't know the 6 only had a drain of 5% per month compared to what others are reporting here

hopefully this is firmware related else we might not get a fix or if it is hardware related we might all be getting a refurbished or new camera with an updated board depending on stocks

cheers,Brent