Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

This issue happens since Hero5 Black - I don't think it's something bad with batteries (vietnam or china ones) but something wrong with software algorythm which is same in 5-7th generation of cameras (for power management).

I don't have any official info (different than "try reset camera and change sd card LOL) from GoPro so I can only gues whats the real problem.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, I don't know resetting factory default implies one stuffed up the updating of firmware the other settings are user settings so whatever is set there are only settings from preset choices and despite hundreds of different sd cards out there as far as I'm concerned if it supports 4k video speeds it should work most who buy these cameras do homework b4 buying sd cards so most of us have pretty good proven cards so to blame a sd card for these issues is crap not tried it yet but I bet if I put one of my not on the list cards in the camera it would work fine I see no proof here that resetting the factory defaults has done anything but make work for people who have to set everything up again as for reverting to an earlier firmware only introduces more issues that were resolved in the newer firmware so don't waste your time buying different sd cards or resetting your camera unless you stuffed up firmware update it is a random issue that flattens the battery after shut down because the display if off but some thing is still happening in the hardware
Cheers Brent
Highlighted
Tourist

sorry nothing of any help to anyone in that message anyway and I only went to School to eat my lunch and look at the Girls anyway I wouldn't use WiFi to transfer anyway it's slower than USB 2 and is like watching paint dry and will surely flatten your battery faster what didn't you understand ?
Cheers,Brent
Highlighted
Hiker

Another thing in the "battery story", maybe that's some sort of clue.

Everytime I connect my GoPro to a wall charger (1A) (wifi off, voice off, Qcapture off, only gps on) it turns ON for no reason.

It also won't turn OFF by it self (I have it on autoOFF after 5mins). After I turn it OFF manualy - still connected - the LED indicator flashes 4 times, stop, 4 times, stop... Then I turned it ON and it showed me 91% and then in one moment went back to 97%. Very strange...

I've noticed that after setting up the autoupload to the cloud.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

GoPro support only copy/paste the same menssages over and over, and don't fix the software problem with battery drain :(

Yes, I tryed every work around, but problem persist.

PD: @graytree76514 your link for update it's broken (404)

Highlighted
Tourist

So it seems we have all paid £400 for a state of the art action cam, plus, in my case another £150 + in accessories for a camera that is packed full of features we have to turn off if we want to leave the battery in and it may just have some juice in if we want to use it 1 day later. 

Other wise we leave the battery out and have a £400 paper weight. 

And yes, I have tried all the options mentioned, I have 4 batteries all GoPro official and all behave the same way. 

Seems the only work around is for GoPro to get their act together and update the firmware, which has not been mentioned by admin or I’d be happy to exchange my using for one that performs as expected at time of purchase. NOT  a refurb, I brought a new one so would like it exchanged for a new one. 

Admin care to comment. 

Highlighted
Tourist

This is the worst electronic produce I have every purchased. I bought Black 7 to get some ski video and both batteries died after five mins. They went directly from 70 percent to dead in about 30 seconds.
Highlighted
Tourist

@graytree76514

Is this battery drain problem with all cameras or just some? If it is problem with just some I will send it back for the replacement.

Camera is not usable. It drains fully charged battery with all options turned off (wifi, voice, gps, fast recording) and without SD card in under 8h.
Product is not complete.