Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

gopro: how many cameras of this issue were reported sent in?  no records 

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes. I'm on last firmware version
Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

Got it @davidm5258,

If you already followed those recommended workflow I would suggest to contact customer support team via phone or chat.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

-Jay 

Highlighted
Hiker

The same situation here.

I have:

• 1 Original GoPro battery (made in Vietnam)
  • 1 Original GoPro battery (made in China)
  • 1 Original GoPro battery from my old GoPro Hero 5 (made in Vietnam)
  • SanDisk Extreme U3 64Gb (recommended one)
  • GPS is OFF, Voice is OFF, WiFi is OFF
  • Quick Capture is ON

All these batteries, in the GoPro Hero 5 do not have any issue.

All these batteries, in the GoPro Hero 7, have the same problem after shortly recording something (from OFF state with Quick Capture) after few hours the battery is dead.

The manual update I’ve already tried => no luck. I went back to the shop and explained the situation. They accepted to replace the camera since they said it must be a faulty unit. I accepted and I was happy, until I went out for short filming.

I came back in the evening with 70% battery, transferred 2 videos via Wifi (2.4Gz), deactivated the Wifi and turned the camera off.

Today morning the camera was dead! ☹

So since the second camera has exactly the same behavior, I would say it just bad SW.

I am so disappointed. I loved my GP Hero5, so I supposed the 7 will be much better.

The only thing which I am doing different than GP sais is the first setup process. By default when you first turn on the camera, it camera expects to connect to it via the APP and make some settings.

I cannot do that since by default the GoPro Hero 7 is starting with its 5Gz Wifi ON and since the Channel used by GoPro is illegal in Europe, none of the phones or tablets I have can see the camera and connect to it. This is the other big Problem of this Camera.

I have to cancel the setup Process, change the WiFi from 5 to 2.4 and then there is no Wizzard/Setup process anymore.

I have one week left, until I can return also the second camera and get my money back. With the current situation, I think this is what I will choose to do.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,  Sorry to hear of your issues esp since you are on holiday you state after recording you had 70% battery used or left ? how long did it take to transfer vids via wi fi and what battery percentage left after that   depending on  how old those batteries are they might say 100 % but may lack the capacity  depending on condition under real use

or the random shutdown bug may be the cause does this happen ocasionally or all the time  as for the wifi 5 ghz issue I wass un aware of this and think this is a serious oversight on gopros part whilst it does not effect me  as far as I'm aware I think it is apalling on gopros part

they would have been aware that channel 161 was off limits before production of the hero 7 as it seems it was an issue with previous model/models I'm  getting more and more brassed off with all these issues I'm hearing of

As I said previously if you know you will be using the camera next day charge all your batteries the night before  and leave the one in the camera on charge overnight till you are ready to use it next day like I do

Cheers,Brent

Highlighted
Hiker

That's interesting.
You guys are using 5GHz or 2.4GHz WiFi? In my case 5GHz never worked with my phone, even if the phone is compatible, so I'm using 2.4GHz. In my case, I just got a couple of battery drains in several months, and the freezing issue got fixed after disabling Low light setting.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi yer 2 lockups 2 drains since purchase in January when turning off dont know if it actually happend i let button go as soon as i hear beeps dont know if holding it any longer may trigger a startup without display dont thinkso but you never know but I still think considering the number of people with these issues and the fact that that channel should never been used by gopro in the first place is sad but I presume if you are using a frequency on the 5 ghz band you have to buy a license well the company that wishes to use it dunno not up with this stuff pretty sure I still got low light setting turned on and quick start turned all the other stuff off i use usb to transfer any vids etc otherwise pop the sd card out and use usb 3 thats a hassle at mo cause its in a shoot alloy case so just using slow usb 2 shame it hasn't got real usb 3.1 C but as far as i know there isn't a chip that supports it yet well in the type the go pro uses anyway
cheers,Brent
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Brent, try to use some punctuation marks and make some real sentences. That would make it easier for us to understand what you mean :)