Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 battery drain

Dear GoPro Team, 

I have just bought my news GoPro Hero 7 Black Camera last week. 

And most of time i can not use it because my battery is empty ! 

It look as if  I have an issue : Sometimes, my camera is very hot. And my battery draining quickly.

What's happen ?

Thank you for your reply. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @phabi,

Sorry to know that. 

Have you tried installing the new update?

It was an issue before but it's already fixed on the last update. 

Please install the new update manually and make sure to turn off voice command and wireless before turning off the camera. 

Here's how to install update manually.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

I just upgraded to a Hero 7 Black and updated to the latest release 1.61 Dec 11).

I just discovered this issue where the battery discharges while the camera is turned off.  I checked the release notes on the manual update page and there is no mention of the issue being fixed.  It still occurs for me.

GoPro

Hi @hardypike52118,

It is already fixed. 

Please try to update the camera manually. 

Follow the manual update steps here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

Hello all, after studying this forums threads for many’s days and trying evry possible solution to stop the battery drain with manual updates, rests, all remote functions turned off sd card in sd card out ( from the recommended list) my 7 Black still looses charge when switched off. Is this widely reported issue going to be addressed by GoPro support or are we expected to keep faith by swapping units until we drop luck ??
Thankful Amazons service has been outstandingas this is my second unit since xmas. Looks like another conversation is about to take place ☹️
Nomad

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

yesterday I was talking to my friend who got GoPro 5 and I asked him what about his battery while camera is in the closed for a long time... .. he promesed to check but it is not the point of this story.

He also said that battery slow drain is normal and must be.....he brought an example of his Mavic drone. He said, battery of his drone is slow discharging while is not use. So asked why ? He said is some protection of this kind battery to extend battery living to keep cycle of charge and discharge.....personally I don't get it but maybe it happend with GoPro.....to keep this life cycle or it is just rumor.

Here is a thread:

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/discharging-mavic-batteries.30300/

They said you can setup in app for Mavic 

"...........They will self-discharge to a safe level by themselves."

Hiker

So what we have to do ?

Does GoPro Team will solve this issue ?

It is abnormal to spend more than 1200 USD for somethiong doesn't work correctly.

I am going to post this GoPro HERO 7 Black issue on HiTech review in France, for no more people's going corrupt by this issue.

I am so upste about GoPro. It was my first GoPro camera, and probably the last one if nothing is done for solve this issue.

Is that hard camera issue or firmware issue ?

For the last time my firmware was updated manually with the last firmware, My micro SD is a SAMSUNG EVO Plus 128Go (original one).

Thank you for your help.

Nomad

Hi @phabi

I know you are upset because of this issues, so do I. This is my 1st GP camera. I read a lot of threads here and belive me GP is looking solutions for this issue. They are looking for.... or at least check what is the cause of discharging. I think it is some how connected with turn on/off algoritm. I dont understand why this camera has so slow start and much slower off. I had/have many other video devices which starting like in a blink of an eye. Panasonic G6 - mirrorless, SJ4000 - faster than light. I supose that this camera has something like POST in motherboard - loading something in the background like operating system. Maybe here is a problem or maybe this camera checking some sum control of sd card.... really hard to say. I think GP engineers should check.

Anyway it is really high quality camera... I mean video quality and I really enjoy use it. Don't give up maybe next patch will help.We always should give 2 chance ;) last patch was 1st patch.

Have good day.