Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Trade-In Sales Tax Overcharge

[ Edited ]

@wowcoolbro wrote:

@bhooshand16806 wrote:

@fishycomics wrote:
Only if the camera is $299 it’s not

I paid $299.99 for the camera, but was charged sales tax on $399.99 , in WA state.

In WA state (I'm also a resident; in Seattle) It's my understanding of the tax law that we should be paying tax on the final price. The final price in this situation is $299.99.

I have been unsuccessful with GoPro support. I haven't seen any acknowledgement of the mixup. The gopro support minions are standing their ground stating 'We made sure that we charged you correctly.'

Not cool. Possibly illegal. 

@wowcoolbro : I contacted them on Chat and they were of no help. I am not exactly sure of the WA sales tax law on trade-in for electronic items, but for auto trade-ins, you definately pay on the net sale price.  I did not find any specifics about consumer electronics on the state Dept or Revenue site.   Gopro had a  lawsuit filed in Florida last year on the trade-ins for Hero6. I believe they had to refund the additional sales tax in the state of florida. looks like they have not learned their lesson yet.

Tourist

WA state residents - check your bank statement this morning. I was issued a refund for the erroneous amount, and re-charged with the correct amount of tax. 

For those interested in the numbers, I was originally charged $340.39. In Washington State, this would be a tax over-charge by $10.10. 

I was credited the $340.39 back this morning. 

I now have a charge of $330.29 on my statement. This appears to be the correct amount.

Finally, this saga is over for me!

Tourist

thanks for letting us know. 

Adventurer

SOWEET  happy filming hope it was worth the  wait,    we all love to hear good out comes

Tourist

@fishycomics wrote:

SOWEET  happy filming hope it was worth the  wait,    we all love to hear good out comes

Fishycomics - You were actively arguing against consumers about them being over-charged. That's very destructive when you don't know what you're talking about. For the sake of the GoPro community, don't do that. 

Hiker

God **bleep**!  Our tax system makes me not want to ever start and online business.  I'm pretty sure i was charged sales tax for the full msrp on the last car i purchased and i'm in florida.

Adventurer

@wowcoolbro wrote:

@fishycomics wrote:

Fishycomics - You were actively arguing against consumers about them being over-charged. That's very destructive when you don't know what you're talking about. For the sake of the GoPro community, don't do that. 

nope I was not I was   offering my opinion I know for me what I wil lbe charged and I have to accept that. we'll seeshortly when I get charged my ammount as my camera is  in shipping  in fedex hands while not a single thing from a company that can not get thigns right even the camera so lets  move forward.

Highlighted
Hiker

I can confirm my total got updated too. It is less than my original invoice. Just got a notification my Gopro 7 arrived today. Time to leave work!