Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7: How to change video playback speed when watching footage on TV through HDMI connection

I totally agree with Redboost. Why is this the fast forward review not available? Can you explain why this was taken off? You act like this is a involved process and that we are asking for something unusual. This is a very basic function that people expect and is on everything!. You can fast forward videos easily on our phones, you tube and basically anything. You are a camera company for goodness sake!. It's like buying a car and then finding out it didnt come with blinkers or headlights!
I just recently found this out as I had a lot of videos I took and tried to review them quickly and found out I couldn't and had to watch all the footage. Very frustrating.
This is a very basic function and this issue should be immediately resolved. The general response of will pass onto our engineers and you can look here for updates is ridiculous.
If I would have known this feature was not available, I never would have bought the GoPro and therefore cant recommend it to anyone. Feels like Go Pro pulled a fast one on their customers.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7: How to change video playback speed when watching footage on TV through HDMI connection

That unacceptable. Putting it back on your consumers to keep checking on it to see if something is going to be done which it isnt. It is a common feature on everything else and should be included. .
Highlighted
Sightseer

Is there any way to stop fast forward once it’s begun? There is almost no point to having HDMI connection if you can’t use basic FF and Rewind functions. Don’t think I can even skip to my tagged highlights.
Bought the remote but that’s a $60+ start/stop button with very few other features and definitely no basic “VCR” functionality during HDMI playback. Really awful.
Highlighted
Tourist

FIXED! Hero 7: Return to normal playback speed by pressing & *holding* shutter button
How to change video playback speed when watching footage on TV through HDMI connection
Found in Firmware 1.9 for the Hero 7 Black.
While H7B is connected to a TV via HDMI, playback controls along the bottom of the screen can be selected using taps on the camera;s MODE, a.k.a POWER button. Each control will turn blue when it "gets focus"/becomes selected.
Each control (including Fast Forware and Rewind arrows ) are activated by tapping the camera SHUTTER button. It will retain this speed until you press and HOLD the SHUTTER.button to return to normal play speed. 
You can also PAUSE, but when you UN-pause, the Fast/Rewind will still be selected.
You can also switch mode between REW and FF, but normal play speed only returns when you press and HOLD the SHUTTER.button while REW or FF has control focus.
This may have been the case all along, but I have not seen it explained ANYWHERE, including the forums & RevC H7B manual.
If you have older firmware in your H7B, I'd love to know which Firmware versions support the long shutter press to return HDMI playback to normal speed. The release notes are far too vague, but I'm glad it works now!

Highlighted
Tourist

timm872 I tried your solution, and can confirm that when playing a video back via HDMI and holding down the shutter button on the forward and reverse buttons, it does cause it to skip through the played video at double the speed, both with Hero7 1.70 and 1.90 firmware updates. However I can still find no controls to play the video at 1/2 1/4 or 1/8 speed. Looks like that feature has still been overlooked in the 1.90 firmware update. I've given up waiting for GoPro to bring this feature back. Better to find another camera if this feature is important to you. Not sure if the Hero8 is the same deal.