Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 7 Freezes - 2nd replacement

[ New ]

Starting a new thread so this post doesn't get lost on page 26 of some other post.

Just received another replacement and this is the 3rd camera in two months.The camera is experiencing the same freezing issue as MANY others have reported. It appears to be an issue with the accelerometer or the firmware controlling it. I can cause it to freeze at will.

https://vimeo.com/330263183

Please, GoPro, something has to be done about this. We all paid top dollar for best of the best action cam and we should not have to accept this malfunction. Your silence on this matter is deafening. What rights do we as consumers have when a company misrepresnts a product?

BEWARE!!! I bought mt Hero 7 in the trade-up program, meaning I traded in an old Hero 3+. And if I choose to ask for a refund I DO NOT get my Hero 3+ returned. It's gone, never to be seen again so I end up losing money if I insist on a refund. This can't be seen as acceptable business practice in any manner. 

Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 Freezes - 2nd replacement

[ New ]

Watched your clip and I  tried to replicate your issue, whic I can not, you  did insert the card and that  you showed the crash.

I tried without and with a card.   exact settings. I  was going to record  me doing so.  but it did not lock up.  I agree  that gopro must get tehir act together stop all tehse isuses .   I get that video on youtube and let people know  and hope you resolve this issue. with GoPro.

FISH

Hiker

[ New ]
It happens with or without a memory card.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Do you  think it relates to the firmware as well?  you got the camera out of the box at FW 1.51  Maybe Ill do a comparison run your vid in the background duplicating  the same moves.   

Hiker

[ New ]

Firmware out of the box is the current release; 1.70.

Adventurer

[ New ]
So you got the latest and newest camera. Great.
Hiker

[ New ]

Finally, hopefully, positive movement. Called GoPro and talked to Atilano. Updated my case by providing a link to the above video. He recognizes the freezing and said it should not freeze (duh) but if it's still recording then you're not losing any video. Seriously? If you can't tell if it's recording then what value does that statement have? So now instead of simply sending another replacement, he recognized continuing to replace them likely adds no value (duh). Next step he will provide 2nd level software support the video as evidence of the problem and promised a email/call back by end of today (good luck Tim).

Adventurer

[ New ]
Tou may get it resolved Just May take more replacements. Or if GoPro is willing to set you up with a perfect working unit. And that is what you want
Hiker

[ New ]

Hopefully.

I want a working camera as for what it does it is still be best on the market in this form factor. 

I do not know what interactions everyone else has had with GoPro and what evidence everyone has been able to provide them, but this vidoe makes it very clear, and undeniable, that an issue exists. So if it allows them to focus on some hardware issue (cause others don't seem to have this issue) or firmware, which should be an easy fix, then we all win...IF GoPro CHOOSES TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

Adventurer

[ New ]

I do wish tyou the Best if this issue ever gets resolved.   only a select few may pop up with it.  Been there done that and seen gopro  simply let things slide liek the Quick capture and promic adapter 6 months later  its 3 to  4 years  the problem is clearly in the camera. if it is  or not. good luck

Hiker

[ New ]

So...camera number 4 on it's way. "I give you my personal assurance the replacement will work as we have great quality testing".

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Stay tuned for testing results of camear 4 in about 2+ weeks as that's how long it will take to ship this one back, their receiving department to receive/put it through their system the FORTH to be shipped.

Adventurer

[ New ]

keep usall posted?

Hiker

[ New ]

So warranty replacement #3, or cameara #4 in hand. The good news is freezing does not appear to be a problem. I've set low light to Auto and off. I've set stabilization to Auto and Off. I've set Landscape Lock to Up, Down and off. I've had a SD card installed and removed. I cannot get this thing to freeze. I WILL KEEP TESTING.

On another note, when I tried to connect it to the Android GoPro App the app said I needed to update camera firmware. This is odd since the last two cameras came with version 1.70 already installed so they apparently sent me an older camera. After the firmware update I was unable to change the cameras name and had great difficulty connecting to the GoPro app. I eventually chatted with support FOR 90 MINUTES. It was a truly horrible experience. I can't believe everything that wanted me to do. Film yourself pairing the camera to the phone's GoPro app so we can see exactly what you're doing. I kinda get it but if this thing is so difficult to pair then their UI is a horrible design. So I had to have THREE cameras in front of me to get all of this done; the GoPro, my phone and a pocket camera. I ended up disconnecting from the chat as I felt I wasted enough of my time. 

After closing the chat I continued to play with the camera. I noticed the "reset to factory" setting in the camera. I reset the camera and went through a new setup. VOILA! It connected the first try and I was able to change the cameras name. WHY WASN'T THIS THE FIRST THING THEY SHOULD HAVE ME TRIED?

A few oddities: (a) the camera seemed to power itself off way earlier than the 15 minute setting. Pressing the power button didn't turn it back on. I had to remove the battery to get it to power back up. (b) Sometimes it doesn't want to connect to the phone. If I power them both off/on I am able to connect. (c) I can't get this thing to freeze up. Yes, and oddity :-O

In the end I'm not sure if this is a perfectly functioning camera. I will keep testing.

Hiker

Betreff: Hero 7 Freezes - 2nd replacement

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]

I received the 3rd replacement in 3 months, all due to freezing. I think I am happy to report I finaly got a good one. It worked perfectly today on a 2 hour MTB ride recording 20 clips with no freezing.

KEEP SENDING THEM BACK FOR WARRANTY REPLACEMENT UNTIL YOU GET ONE THAT WORKS!

And if this one freezes it will go back too.

Hiker

[ New ]

I am at my wits end. I purchased the original camera on Feb 2, 2019. Now, on May 16 I am on the 4th camera, the 3rd replacement, all due to camera freeze. Yes, I reported a few days ago that this camera was finally working. On it's 2nd outing I was never able to get a single recording. I had to pull the battery 5 times before I finally put it away. 

I just called GoPro and after 4 non-functioning cameras I requested a refund, realizing I will lose the Hero 3 I sent in on their Trade-up program. I was told I am now more than 30 days since the original purchase date and a refund will not be provided. WHAT? I'VE NEVER HAD A WORKING PRODUCT!!!! Nope, now way, no how will they provide a refund. So now I am either stuck with a non-functioning camera or will have to continue down the warranty replacement trail.

How on this planet is this ever considered good customer service? I've litleraly never had a working product and I can't get my money back! I cannot begin to explain how pissed I am. We, as consumers, should have some protection from companies like this. Steal your money and give you nothing. 

I guess my only option is to contact every consumer protection agency I can find. I could try my local news TV station but they'll probably pass on the story. I am at a complete loss. What else can I do? I just want my money back because after nearly 3 months I've never had a working product. This companies customer service policies are to benefit them, not you. Good Luck.

Hiker

[ New ]

There is a serious flaw with this camera and GoPro will not admit to this cameras design/manufacturing failures. No SD card, SD format or "manual firmware update" will fix these issues.

This I promise you, you will not ever, as in never, receive a refund. The refund period is ONLY 30 days from purchase from GoPro.  And IF you request a refund during this time they will not do so and tell you that your MUST accept a warranty replacement. By the time all of this happens your 30 day window will have expired. So, their internal policies are such that you WILL NEVER RECEIVE A REFUND. 

I have been round and round with GoPro and am on my FIFTH camera in 67 days. I currently have a case open with my credit card company, have contacted the consumer protection agency (Federal Trade Commission) and am about to contact my states Attorney General. 

Good luck.

Backpacker

[ New ]

my Hero 7 works fine, yes i did return my original one (which I bought on the day of launch) that had the big software bug causing double screen etc. As soon as they released the newer firmware I bought a replacement & has been fine since

if your on your 5th I can only see one common cause, you. 

Hiker

[ New ]

So how could I be the issue causing the camera to freeze? Carry it? Runnig with it? MTBing with it? How can I be the reason 5 cameras freeze and refuse to record any video? It can't be the 3 different SD cards, all from the recommended list, even when not recording.  I'm not being smart, I really want to understand your point in the event you can provide an explanation/assistance on why 5 cameras won't work.

Backpacker

[ New ]

they may be recommended cards, but are they genuine, are they even good stock (were they rejected by SanDisk & being sold on as 2nd's)

Hiker

[ New ]

Very good point. But, I don't even have to be recording or even have a card in place for the camera freeze. I am very open to any suggestions that will make the cameras work. I can't even press record and it's already frozen. I truly appolgize if anyone feels I'm trolling/spamming, but after $400 and four cameras I'm way past frustrated, that and there's no way to escalate within GP.

Backpacker

[ New ]

even without recording the GoPro has to prep & get the card ready (put a blank card in a GoPro then turn it on, check the card after & it'll have files on it). Not having a card in has me stumped

SD cards are very easy to fake, especially with cheaper ones just being black cards. So easy to print the SanDisk or whatever colouring onto it & then sell & 10x the price. I always buy mine from Argos, a big retailer who's going to get stock direct from the manufacture

I also never buy my camera's direct from GoPro either (except Fusion which I had no choice), but I buy in person from again Argos. That way I've got a direct store I can take it back it, & they are responsible for the refund/swapping not GoPro.