Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 File isues

[ New ]

I continually get file issues while recording. The recording stops, GoPro says fixing, then says fixed, then stops the recording. It happens all the time.  I have tried 3 differernt of the recomended sandisk extreme memory cards and still have the problem. Can someone please help me before I make a move to send this things back!!

Kevin,

GoPro

Re: Hero 7 File isues

[ New ]

Hello @agileoasis83814. Which firmware is your HERO7 Silver camera running on? If you haven't yet, re-flash camera firmware following manual update instructions below: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Doing this will clear out any possible error associated with the current installation. Make sure that the camera is fully charged and that the SD card(s) is formatted prior to the update process. We would also like to get information on the specific cards that you have used. This will help with further isolating the cause of the trouble. We hope to hear back from you. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]

I updated the Hero 7 the other day and still have the same problem.  I have used these 3 cards:  Sandisk extreme 64GB, Sandisk Extreme 32GB, Sandisk Extreme Plus 128GB.  All those cards should work just fine with this camera but I have file issues.  Should I proceed in sending the camera back and if so, how do I do that?

Kevin, 

Tourist

[ New ]
If you updated Hero7 other way, try manual update first.

Manual update is different from other ways like Gopro App or Quik for desktop.
It's not only updating firmware but also reset firmware so issues with camera software will be solved with manual update.

1. Format your SD card on Hero7
2. As Masiustanya already told you, try manual update
Tourist

[ New ]

Attached is picture of the uploaded update file and the contents of the camfw.zip file.  What files am I suppoed to transfer to the sandisk and which are not?  I tried with just the 3 contents files and it did not update at all and I tried with the camfw.zip files and that did not update anything when I turned the camera on either.

Thank you,

20190401_142343.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

20190401_142359.jpg
Adventurer

[ New ]

IF your three files are not in the update Filefolder, it will not accept the update, you do not have  the three files per your photo on here, that  is why you have A issue.

Un.png

Tourist

[ New ]

The directions specifically say NOT to transfer the entire UPDATE file to the micro disk.  JUST the contents.  Is that INCORRECT??

Adventurer

[ New ]

If you take the three files that I shown and it's in the update  then there is no issue at all to update,   anything outside of this is incorrect.

Tourist

[ New ]

Moving the entire UPDATE folder with the 3 files finally had the hero 7 conduct the firmware update.  I think someone needs to change the directions on the website that SPECIFICALLY says NOT to trasfer the file.  Unfotunately 1:12 into a video test the Hero 7 has the same file error and the video stopped.  Do i send the hero 7 back now?

Kevin,

Adventurer

[ New ]

glad you got that step done.     Can you do a format to your card in a computer not in the camera and do it as a  full uncheck thequick format. if its a 64 gb it will take 30 minutes a 128 an hour and then do a test video.

Tourist

[ New ]

I did the full/long format on the computer.  Put the sandisk back in the camera and it worked for 8 minutes 42 seconds before having the same file problem.  Any more ideas?

Kevin

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @agileoasis83814

We have checked the update instructions both on a Mac and a Windows computer, and both provides the correct update instructions of transferring the unzipped UPDATE folder.

Please reach out to our Support Team regarding the issue on your camera.

Let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken or you may refer them to this thread.

They are available by phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Maybe I am missing something but I read this as saying to NOT move the file itself to the SD card.

Be sure to move the files inside of the UPDATE folder to the root level of the microSD card only. Do not move the UPDATE folder itself.

Do not drag an update folder with numbers added to the end such as UPDATE(1), UPDATE(2) if they appear.

I will call gopro tomorrow about returning the Hero7 Silver.  Even though we finally got the firmware update completed and the disk format completeted on the computer it still fails to have file issues.

Kevin,

Adventurer

[ New ]

There  is nothing more you can do.  if another card  can be tried and  the issue still persists, then you are on the right track to request a new camera and  get a working one.  I agree cal lthem  get the RMA going and in a few weeks you will be good to go, report back with the new camera and it working?

For the instructions gopro had years to correct it they did not.