Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 External mic issue

[ New ]

Hi,

So I got the new hero 7 and bought the mic adapter and I am using the Rode Videomicro.

Unboxed everything, plugged it in. Got one video with sound and then it stopped working completely.

I checked every youtube video out there for fixes, from different types of jacks to one touch recording solves, pretty much tried everything and every audio setting possible, still nothing, no audio...

Pretty disappointing when you buy brand new products and they dont work, does anyone have a solution for this?

It has been a problem for all I know, since the hero 5.

Firmware issue or not ? I see people use their videomicro on the gopro just fine, what is my issue?

Thanks in advance.

Adventurer

Re: Hero 7 External mic issue

[ New ]

Please tell us you are not using quick capture?  Are you?  The Ext mic must be used with Mode on for non-powered mics no battery mics like the Rode.  also make sure your mic imput is set to  standard or standard +  higherDB, your choice.  Hit  record.

You are on FW 1.51  no where does it state there is separate firmware for a external mic but to update as soon as you get.  even youcall gopro they state to update your H7 right away,  does that say there are issues (to me it says for hte latest things).

so if you watched all thevids for the H7 i have yet to sem many complain about htis  but for the older yes.

Tourist

[ New ]

Quick capture has been off all the time.

Mic input is set to standard but tried every other option also, no success.

My firmware is the most recent one and I updated the camera when unboxed.

Like I said I tried every setting. I even tried the trick where you plugin the adapter, power the camera on, then plugin the mic and hit record right away. Still nothing for the audio... When played back there is just some silent noise or no audio at all.

I should be able to hit record and record audio. This is day 2 of trying everything but I just get more frustrated about it...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @jmverbeeck

Thank you for the details that you provided. On its own, does the camera capture audio for recordings? If yes, please check this article which provides information on external microphone with the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter. If you have done the settings described and still not getting audio for your recordings, there is a need to isolate if the issue is with the adapter or the microphone. Our Support team here will be able to walk you through the next steps if the adapter is identified to be defective. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Adventurer

[ New ]

contact gI contact gopro.  see what htey come up with, a new adapter and or a new camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Marius,

Thanks for the reply. I've went over all the steps multiple times and still no result.

Because of my frustration with this issue I went to buy the new Rode videomic pro plus (powered mic).

Still the same issue with NO AUDIO and also it has a really noticable noise now...

Buying two brand new microphones tells me its the gopro or the adapter...because I have no issues with these mics on my Canon.

I find it absurt that I buy a new hero 7 and a brand new adapter and that one of these possibly is defective, this blows my mind for a company as big as gopro, why would you give your customers defective gear....

I'll talk to the support team tomorrow and I hope they can make up my time that I lost on this annoying issue.

Tourist

[ New ]
Im really losing my patience with everything Gopro related!!!!!!
I contacted the support, told me to update manually, my MacBook Pro doesn't have an SD card so I have to go out and invest even more money into this to make this stupid camera work!!!!! And then when I go to actual update page it won't even let me access it, it keeps bringing me to this PICK YOUR PICTURE robot check thing, I keep doing it and verifying but doesn't actually load another page. IM SO DONE with this product! The hero 5 session gave me headaches already and now this.... I want my money back!!!
Tourist

[ New ]

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 7.28.22 PM.png

I am up to date, why should I do it manually anyways, what is this system of people buying new cameras and still have to go through all of this to even get it to work, this is beyond me !

Adventurer

[ New ]

A manual update may not have  interrupted  inf, that be the  one good reason why.  a reflash may also  place in something that  did not get placed on.

but like said it should work out of the box  Zero issues.

I been there and  done that day one.

Tourist

[ New ]
Use trs jac between adoptor and your mic problem solve i am also faced this problem ✌️
Sightseer

[ New ]
You might need to buy a female trrs to male trs adapter. I've just purchased one from amazon. I'll post an update if I'm successful.
Hiker

[ New ]

Try getting a new mic adapter. I had a friend that went through 3 of them until he found a working one.

Sightseer

[ New ]
any luck with this? i have just brought a new mic and adapter and no audio on the videos
Tourist

[ New ]
Use trs to trrs adaptor between adoptor and the mic
Sightseer

[ New ]
I have my go pro 7, i tried so many kind of mic adapter, but when i go to audio output it say N/A. May go pro 7 is brand new. I just bought it last week. I also try go pro mic adapter and still no sounds it always use the microphone on go pro
Adventurer

[ New ]

@kuyzmack wrote:
I have my go pro 7, i tried so many kind of mic adapter, but when i go to audio output it say N/A. May go pro 7 is brand new. I just bought it last week. I also try go pro mic adapter and still no sounds it always use the microphone on go pro

you used so many mic  adapters? only one mic adapter works the gopro one

Sightseer

[ New ]

All,

After days and many hours of frustration trying every possible power-on combination to make the external mic adapter work with my brand new GoPro 7 Black (same issues with the 6) and Rode VideoMicro, I realized that this may not be a software/hardware issue, but a connector issue.

Following a tip from one of the thousands of forums I came across, I moved the adapter out of the fully plugged position, around 3mm outside of the plug (see picture). It works every time, audio is there and clean. Most probably it will be only mono, have not checked yet, but it is something.

Could someone also make the same test to have some kind of verification?

I am planning to fix the plug in that position and keep using it for a few days, have not made any serious use after I found this out.

Vassilis

gopromicadapter.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]
Try a new audio adapter. I went through 4 of them until it worked. A friend of mine went through 3 of them. Just buy and exchange them until you get a working one.
That's the only recommendation I have. I fought this issue for over 1 year. They even sent me a new Hero 7 Black.

You will have to keep forcing GoPro customer service to keep exchanging them for you, or if you have a local retailer do it there.

GoPro customer support is absolutely garbage. They are ignorant and don't know what they are talking about. I had a tech support representative tell me the camera was not designed to capture clean audio.

Good luck! 🇬🇷🇬🇷
Adventurer

[ New ]

wit hteh plug not fully seated that fuxes your issue? 

Hiker

[ New ]
The plug was always fully seated, I never tried it any other way. There is no reason for it not to be. Plugs were designed to be fully seated not halfway out.

It's GoPro faulty quality control.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Sadly, not really a solution. Mine won't even work partially pulled out of the jack. I had the same issue. Adapter worked and stopped working mid use. If I wiggle the microphone connector around in the jack, I can force static, but otherwise, no audio through the external mic adapter. The mic itself (videomicro) works fine. Tons of examples out there about how bad these overpriced adapters are.

@bboulo wrote:

All,

After days and many hours of frustration trying every possible power-on combination to make the external mic adapter work with my brand new GoPro 7 Black (same issues with the 6) and Rode VideoMicro, I realized that this may not be a software/hardware issue, but a connector issue.

Following a tip from one of the thousands of forums I came across, I moved the adapter out of the fully plugged position, around 3mm outside of the plug (see picture). It works every time, audio is there and clean. Most probably it will be only mono, have not checked yet, but it is something.

Could someone also make the same test to have some kind of verification?

I am planning to fix the plug in that position and keep using it for a few days, have not made any serious use after I found this out.

Vassilis

Sightseer

[ New ]

Just wanted to provide an update for anyone else who discovers this thread. I just had the most painless experience with GoPro support via chat in which they are sending me out a replacement adapter. They asked for proof of purchase and a GoPro serial number and that's it. They're shipping me out a new one under warranty no questions asked and no troubleshooting hoops to jump through - almost as if they recognize they had a bad run of these adapters or something.

GoPro

[ New ]

@danf6828, glad to hear that our Support team was able to assist you. Let us know how it goes with the replacement Mic Adapter.

Adventurer

[ New ]

awesome  keep us posted how it goes.   

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey danf

That's good ro hear, I purchased a GoPro 7 Black (first Gopro ever) only a few weeks ago, and have had nothing but problems with the app and the Rode Videomicro/adaptor that I also purchased.......

Like you, spent hours trying all the so called 'fixes' out there, and nothing works. I'll be hitting the 'CHAT' button tomorrow morning first thing! 

I'm this close [holding my thumb and forefinger about 10mm apart] from giving up and getting the DJI thingy.....very frustated.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Unlike the user who had a painless telephone discussion with GoPro's support, my call was exactly the opposite. I spent over 1 hour on the phone with them as they made me manually update my GoPro, quizzed me about the external mics that I was trying to use, etc. They even tried to make me take my concerns to Rode when nothing we tried work. I refused & I had to insist that they agree to send a replacement adapter to me. Of course, they are out of stock & they couldn't tell me when they would get adapters back in stock so I'm not holding my breath. The only thing that appears to work is to partially plug my Rode mic into the adapter. Next I need to try it with real world filming to see if it is a real soluiton. 

GoPro has really dropped the ball on this accessory. Its disgraceful that we are forced to buy the adapter to get high quality audio out of our cameras & they are providing such inferior quality control. This will be my last GoPro purchase. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

The trick of pulling the microphone 3mm out of the adapter works for me - THANKS!

However, obviously massively dissapointing that it should be necessary and especially since it not a $2 piece of adapter, so @GoPro, if you charge premium, please deliver premium!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello everyone, 

I have 2 GoPros (5 Black and 7 Black) to run my Vlog, also I bought this Movo VXR10 that was super recommended by the community. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723D3FVL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Mic comes with 3.5mm TRS Output Cable (For DSLR Cameras, Camcorders, Recorders), 3.5mm TRRS Output Cable (For Smartphones, Tablets, and Mac). No matter what both cameras gives me a LOOOOOOOOT of crackling sound recording inside or outside. Quiet or Loud places.

First I tought was the cable adapter so I quickly bought a second one, so now I have 2 Mic Adapter (official goPro products) and both of them are giving me the same results.

I tried every possible setup on the camera (Standard Audio, Standard + etc). I'm browsing solutions on the last 24h and I found a couple informations in here but not sure what to do yet. 

I'd appreciate tips and hints to solve my isssue. 

PS: C'mon GOPRO, anything you guys can do fix that? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @agilegorge84754

To try and isolate the issue, see if starting the recording before plugging the adapter will make a difference.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Slightly off-topic but may be of use/interest.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned interference being picked up on their audio recordings on their Hero 7. I experienced the same thing with my new Rode VideoMic Pro and was really frustrated until I found this message on the Rode website:

http://www.rode.com/faq/why-is-there-interference-on-my-gopro-audio

In short, the Hero 7's wifi function causes static on the audio if it's left on while you're recording. Turn off the wifi - problem solved.