Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Hero 7 External mic issue

Hey danf

That's good ro hear, I purchased a GoPro 7 Black (first Gopro ever) only a few weeks ago, and have had nothing but problems with the app and the Rode Videomicro/adaptor that I also purchased.......

Like you, spent hours trying all the so called 'fixes' out there, and nothing works. I'll be hitting the 'CHAT' button tomorrow morning first thing! 

I'm this close [holding my thumb and forefinger about 10mm apart] from giving up and getting the DJI thingy.....very frustated.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Unlike the user who had a painless telephone discussion with GoPro's support, my call was exactly the opposite. I spent over 1 hour on the phone with them as they made me manually update my GoPro, quizzed me about the external mics that I was trying to use, etc. They even tried to make me take my concerns to Rode when nothing we tried work. I refused & I had to insist that they agree to send a replacement adapter to me. Of course, they are out of stock & they couldn't tell me when they would get adapters back in stock so I'm not holding my breath. The only thing that appears to work is to partially plug my Rode mic into the adapter. Next I need to try it with real world filming to see if it is a real soluiton. 

GoPro has really dropped the ball on this accessory. Its disgraceful that we are forced to buy the adapter to get high quality audio out of our cameras & they are providing such inferior quality control. This will be my last GoPro purchase. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

The trick of pulling the microphone 3mm out of the adapter works for me - THANKS!

However, obviously massively dissapointing that it should be necessary and especially since it not a $2 piece of adapter, so @GoPro, if you charge premium, please deliver premium!

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello everyone, 

I have 2 GoPros (5 Black and 7 Black) to run my Vlog, also I bought this Movo VXR10 that was super recommended by the community. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723D3FVL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This Mic comes with 3.5mm TRS Output Cable (For DSLR Cameras, Camcorders, Recorders), 3.5mm TRRS Output Cable (For Smartphones, Tablets, and Mac). No matter what both cameras gives me a LOOOOOOOOT of crackling sound recording inside or outside. Quiet or Loud places.

First I tought was the cable adapter so I quickly bought a second one, so now I have 2 Mic Adapter (official goPro products) and both of them are giving me the same results.

I tried every possible setup on the camera (Standard Audio, Standard + etc). I'm browsing solutions on the last 24h and I found a couple informations in here but not sure what to do yet. 

I'd appreciate tips and hints to solve my isssue. 

PS: C'mon GOPRO, anything you guys can do fix that? 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @agilegorge84754

To try and isolate the issue, see if starting the recording before plugging the adapter will make a difference.

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Slightly off-topic but may be of use/interest.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned interference being picked up on their audio recordings on their Hero 7. I experienced the same thing with my new Rode VideoMic Pro and was really frustrated until I found this message on the Rode website:

http://www.rode.com/faq/why-is-there-interference-on-my-gopro-audio

In short, the Hero 7's wifi function causes static on the audio if it's left on while you're recording. Turn off the wifi - problem solved.