Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

I'm using my Black 7 to record video and my radio communications with the control tower when I'm flying a Cessna 172. My recordings were way out of sync, and is why I dug around on the web and came across this thread. Since my flights are a couple of hours long, I need to power my Black 7 with an external power brick. After reading this thread, I did some experiments with my setup to see if the results would agree with the posts here. Yep, I get the same results. Here is what I've tested and the results:

Recording with no external mic or power: no problem

Recording with an external mic but no external power: no problem

Recording with an external mic and external power from the start: significantly out of sync

Recording by starting with internal mic, then plugging in an external mic and external power: no problem

Recording with internal mic and external power: no problem

Recording by starting with internal mic, then plugging in an external mic and external power and running for an hour: no problem

So I would concur that the problem occurs when you start the recording with the external mic and power already applied via the GoPro mic adapter. So my workaround in the cockpit will be to get all cameras rolling and then switch on the external power bricks. Inconvenient, but doable.

Tourist

I'm having same issue. I'm just using the HDMI out to a video capture solution (Slingstudio). With internal mic and external mic audio is about a second to fast.

Haven't tried the plug in after record solution but that won't work if you don't use an external mic.
Hiker

Leave it up to a pilot to do a proper pre-flight check and providing all of us with a temporary work around Smiley LOL

Thank you for doing a thorough test and determining the issue and the working external power plugin sequence. This will help me a great deal in video production till GOPRO provides a firmware update......hopefully VERY soon.

Bought 4 of the H7B's for the stabilization and traded all 4 of my H5B in. My fault for not waiting a bit since historically GP is known for having major professional issues from the get go with every new release.

Tourist

Come on GoPro! Over two weeks and no update or acknowledgment to fixing the issue yet? All the troubleshooting has even been done by the community. You already know what works on the Hero 6. Find the code you changed in the Hero 7 and change it back to what was working in the Hero 6.

Tourist

I usually dont post on here but this is a bit ridiculous. I will be going on vacation in less than a month and will be recording with external mic and powerbank and figured this issue would have been resolved by now.

@epicdive87847 Great work and very helpful workaround! Did you by chance check this scenario?:

Start recording with an external mic and then plug in external power after?

This would not be to bad if you did this and would be the scenario I would most likely to do when the battery gets low.

Tourist

I just read in another group that turning off stabilization fixes the audio sync issue. The feed must pre-load to much. I haven't tested it yet but will later today. Sucks for action filming, but on a tripod it would be fine.
Tourist

I created a short video explaining the issue and the workaround to use here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfqfp53KBQI

Hopefully the more this gets out there will put some more pressure on GoPro to fix the issue. Feel free to share the video and get the word out there.

Quick video I shot explaining the issue GoPro is having while recording with an external Mic while supplying an external power source. I explain ways to fix ...
GoPro

Hi @jordanm0130

Thank you for sharing this workaround.

Our team is aware of the sync issue and they are working on a fix.

We will have this shared with them.

Regards,

Ej