Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

Hello @tj311

Have you been able to try the solution posted by @photogromer? There is more information on using external microphones with the the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter here that might help. 

Thanks, 

Marius

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

@mariustanya   Yes it does seem to sync when I plug the mic in while the camera is already recording.

Note that I also have the same out of sync results (aforementioned) when I'm using the smart remote to start / stop the recording. 

Another thing I've noticed, if I'm connected to external mic, AND I ALSO have an external power source plugged into the USB C connector on the mic adapter.... the audio is even FURTHER out of sync. It's WAY OUT OF SYNC. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Interesting findings, @tj311. Thank you for sharing results. By any chance, have you been able to factory reset and manually update your camera? See if this helps. We are sharing the results you posted to the team in charge as well. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Not sure it will help but same thing occur with me if the power bank is plugged. I hope it may be fix with a firmware upgrade.

Highlighted
Tourist

With Hero 7 Black and the external mic adaptor, the audio is almost 1 second early if I plug in an external battery. All's well if there is no external charger.

Highlighted
Tourist

Follow up: If I start the recording before i plug in the external adaptor the sound is in synch even if a usb power supply is plugged in.

Highlighted
Hiker

@mariustanya I did a factory reset, and a clean manual install of 1.51 update. Still the exact same results. The audio is a split second out of sync.

Highlighted
Hiker

I will also confirm and second the audio sync issue. I noticed this on 3 separate videos when syncing the WAV file with the normal MP4 file audio. The WAV audio is about 1/2 second ahead of the MP4 audio.

When I drop the WAV file under the MP4 file in the FCPX timeline, I can hear the two files being out of sync as well.

It does this in any 4K setting, 60, 30, and 24. Audio set to Standard Mic. MicroSD card is Samsung 128GB Evo Plus.

Yes, running v1.51, manually updated and reset camera, so no need to ask me to do that.

The HERO7 Black is plugged into the ProMic Adapter (brand new) and powered by an external Anker powerpack. The mic is a Hooke Verse and plugged into the ProMic Adapter.

The camera is started and stopped using the Smart Remote three button.