Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

Same problem here!  My Hero 7 also had these audio issues with MIC Adapter (using in a music setting).

GoPro needs to ADDRESS THIS ISSUE PLEASE!  

GoPro

Hello Everyone. Sorry to hear about the trouble with the audio issues. This issue has been reported to the team. We will definitely keep this post updated once we hear back from them.

By any chance, is the Wi-Fi enabled on your camera when you use it with an external microphone? See if disabling Wi-Fi would have any effect. Some tests show that when the camera's Wi-Fi is on (whether the camera is streaming live or not), using microphones that do not have strong shielding led to audio issues.

There is a list of recommended external microphones at https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/External-Microphone-Recommendations for your reference. 

Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

@mariustanya  Are you kidding me? Does GoPro not have any hero 7's to be able to test this? 

Simply take one of the Hero 7's that your able to repeat the problem with and turn the wifi off yourself and see if this fixes the issue. BTW it does not. At least you finally responded but it is clear this issue will not be fixed until the Hero 8 comes out. If the Osmo action only had a seperate output for an external battery and external Mic you would have lost my business forever!

Nomad

It's not related to wifi, it has something to do with hypersmooth
Hiker

Disabling the WiFi also disables remote control of the camera via the app (iPhone/iPad). This is non-negotiable. To you question about mics and shielding, the issue persists as described also with a line in from a mixing desk/external audio source. So, no, this is not an external mic “shielding” issue. Please. The only acceptable work-around (for me) that I have found is to disable the stabilization. No hypersmooth, no nothin. Fine if the camera is stationary, BUT THE WHOLE POINT IS THAT THE PRODUCT IS AN ACTION CAM.
Nomad

If you turn off hypersmooth the issue goes away, if you use a resolution that only supports standard stabilization problem goes away.
It likely needs a
05 second sleep somewhere to keep things in sync with hypersmooth enabled.

Based on prior model firmware history we probably wont see a fix until the hero 8 as the 7 will be abandoned...
Nomad

Even a option to use standard stabilization instead of hypersmooth would fix the issue for a lot of people.
Sightseer

@snorkel12068 wrote:
Even a option to use standard stabilization instead of hypersmooth would fix the issue for a lot of people.

Yes, the whole reason I bought this camera over others was the hypersmooth stabilization.  If this is not resolved I’ll never buy another GoPro product, and I have bought a bunch of your cams over the years.  Garmin is looking good right now.