Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

[ New ]

"No, I'm going to have to disagree with that one. Mine was out of sync WITHOUT the use of an external battery pack."

They may have fixed something in the last firmware update.  It definatley only does it on mine with the battery pack plugged into the adapter.

The initial reports from last october said it got worse as the video went on and could not be fixed in post, but I was able to fix mine by adding .5 seconds of silence to the begining of the audio track.

Tourist

[ New ]
I sent you a PM.
Nomad

[ New ]

@snorkel12068 wrote:
@ tj311 Are you by chance using a external power bank with the camera that is using the mic adapter?

@snorkel12068 NO. The external power supply is on the gopro mounted in the rear of my kayak.  I use the external mic on my chest mounted camera and I just swap out the battery every hour or so. Then I also have an external power supply mounted on my third camera, which is mounted on the front of the kayak. I have started using my hero 5 for that mount because it never has any issues with freezing up. I put a hero 7 on that external battery and it freezes the camera up. The Hero 7s are so unreliable. Constantly having to do battery pulls to unfreeze them. I got rid of one of them and now just use 2 Hero 7s, 1 hero 6 and 1 hero 5.  The 5 is the most stable of all of them. So frustrating.

Nomad

[ New ]

I ran my H7 on my behind the shoulder mount and ran it all day last saturday and it never froze up, it did stop recording because the camera kept draining the battery and it would get down to 2% and then shut off even though external power was still connected with plenty of power left.

Good to see another Kayak fisherman on here Do you have a youtube channel?

Mine is bassman strikes.

Here is the H7 video from last sat where I caught a small Muskie, check it out:

Hiker

[ New ]

Some powerpacks, mine is an Anker 10,000 mah, require the side status button to be pushed to wake the pack up. The pack sometimes decides that the draw from the camera is so small that it is not needed.  I have had this problem where the camera battery goes flat and the power pack does not start. Pushing the side button that shows the led status lights starts the process off. 

Hiker

[ New ]
That's interesting. So it could be just the mic connection is causing the issue?
Hiker

[ New ]

There's no question the adapter, or use of the adapter is the cause of the audio delay. I have found a fix, which should not be necessary if GoPros developers cared a bit more about their customers, which is to edit the video using GoPro Studio, export the result as an MP4 and use AVIDEMUX, a free download, to build, in my case, an 800Ms delay into the video stream with no apparent corruption of the video quality.

Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro Hero 5 Black external Aud works fine

GoPro hero 6 black extenal Aud works fine

GoPro Hero 7 Black  ISSUE. and      the next question and concern is who did a Livestream and is it in Synch I am sure gopro did one  let them chime in on this Pleasee   @gopro engineer    McFly

Tourist

[ New ]

My Hero 7 Black seems to have the same or similar issue. After discovering the problem and doing some testing -- it appears that plugging in external power to the mic adapter is what is causing the audio to be out of sync. My Saramonic mic plugged into the external mic adapter alone does not seem to be causing any problem. Adding external power pac to the external mic adapter seems to throw out of sync any audio recordings made while attached.

Please advise when this issue is fixed. Hopefully with camera software update OR...?

Sightseer

Betreff: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

[ New ]

Same issue here.

Delay caused either by using the microphone adapter using a power bank or when HyperSmooth is active.

I'm using the GoPro as live camera using the HDMI connection. It is no option for me to edit the video later.

I can't use my Hero 7 Black like this. the store does not take it back.

@gopro Can I exchange it with a Hero 6 Black through GoPro?

Tourist

Betreff: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

[ New ]

There is not date for fix or even a clear commitment to get this fix. This issue is well documented, widely reported, easy to replicate and known for month.

@GoPro: Time to either make a clear commitment and provide a reasonable timeline or to offer your customers an alternative solution.

GoPro

Re: Betreff: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

[ New ]

Thank you, everyone, for the details that you provided. 

@erickgibson, @sveng368 - We have passed the information on this thread to the team but we have not heard of any update or fix yet. We just made a follow up and no new information was provided. We will continue to check with them and keep you posted as soon as we hear back from them. 

@noblemesa5655 - It would best to get in touch with our Support team for your particular query. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Adventurer

Re: Betreff: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

[ New ]

SO as the issue continues and there is no fix, if you own a Hero 6 or older that is the solution till the Hero 7 gets a resolution in the future. like they say No news, is good news.

Tourist

[ New ]

Definitely an unfortunate discovery. I had just upgraded from the Hero 6 because of the Hero 6 having the audio clicking popping noise problems when using an external microphone and also using wifi control. I had hoped the 7 would be free of that issue and now it has its own similar one. It's like I should have just stuck with my Hero 4 all along for ease of use?!!?

DJI Osmo pocket and Sony RXO ii are looking really good right now after all the troubles with GoPro lately. Bummer. Had high hopes.

Hiker

[ New ]

@erickgibson I went back to my Hero 4 Black for motovlogging where I use an external battery and mic. I have (2) Hero 6 Black and a Hero 7 Black sitting on my desk literally collecting dust because the audio is so unreliable when using an external battery and mic. I foresee GoPro releasing a flip screen GoPro next ignoring this issue and creating a bunch of new issues trying to catch up to trends. I really really really wish DJI or Sony would come up with a similar flat action camera that allows external mic and battery hookup without audio issues. If it wasn't for the shape of the Sony ActionCam I'd go back to that but just doesn't fit on my helmet as well as the GoPro. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I hear you on all that! Seems the Sony RXO ii would be the most likely to win. Osmo pocket a tough shape for anyting but in the hand...

Just still in shock to have just received this Hero 7 I ordered hoping for the best and thinking I had it and after shooting something important with it (where audio was also important) thinking I had gotten it only to find another strange unexplained glitch in audio after just having similar with Hero 6...

Anyways I guess we wait to see what develops.

Adventurer

[ New ]

thought the hero 6   worked no issue just the hero 7 has it?   guess   when  every one else on the other thread are  looking to buy their mic adapter should research about this issue  and they can decide tehir fate.

Nomad

[ New ]

The problem with the RX0 and II is it is not wide angle and it's super expensive.

Hopefully they fix tis is the next firmware update...

Not sure why no one can get the external mic thing correctly done.  The Sony action cams have issues as well apparently they run the mic input way to hot and don't provide any means to adjust the level and they never update the firmware and that was one of the reasons i went with the H7 over anything else.

Nomad

[ New ]

@snorkel12068I sure do. Old Lady Angler is the youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_yk9_YGykR0mkzdX-M6iuw/

Tourist

[ New ]

Goodbye GoPro. DJI is finally releasing a action camera that will compete with the GoPro:

https://www.dronegear.tv/post/dji-to-release-new-action-camera?fbclid=IwAR1JzOgJS1U6jCqCwp-op-Qus-44...

Tourist

[ New ]

GoPro may always have a place in the kit bag, but a lot of issues lately since after the Hero4. This DJI rumor comes true and it could be a game and kit changer for a lot of us. Many really do not need the fisheye look for what we use the GoPro for. I would prefer less of the extreme fall of the planet wide angle. Hence the Back-bone mod kits are always on my mind, the DJI Osmo pocket looks appealing, and also the latest Sony RXO ii now that they added 4k internal finally. This DJI machine becomes a reality and I think a lot of folks will jump ship right away.

Tourist

[ New ]

This should be a simple fix for GoPro.  To me, it seems like it is a startup problem.  Cause if I start my camera on the battery then start the recording with the adaptor it seems to be in sync and then if I plug in the external power it stays in sync.  I have noticed the sync issue is more pronounced if I try and do a quick record.  you have to turn the camera on first then start the video then plug in the external power.  The quick start should check for the adaptor then give it time to be initialized and transfer power from the external source then start recording.  I know it will not be immediate but it should work.

Tourist

[ New ]

Would like to believe that, but the audio issues using external mic while also using wifi control were never fixed with Hero 6, so I have my doubts. More likely the Hero 8 will be out and maybe will be a camera without these issues...Or maybe it will have its own new random ones to figure out workarounds. Not a tenable work situation for many of us to be solving mysteries always. Praise the Hero 4...

Nomad

[ New ]
I have the quick start and voice control disabled only thing I have enabled is the wifi smart remote and it still does the sync issue.
They better release at least one more firmware update it's barely been out 6 months.
GoPro

[ New ]

For any one looking for the mic adapter, it is now available at https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-3/pro-3.5mm-mic-adapter/AAMIC-001.html

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya Thank you for the update about the mic adapter being back in stock. How about an update from the team working on this case on how progress is coming along with an update? This is a thread dedicated to this issue, not selling mic adapters.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@mariustanya wrote:

For any one looking for the mic adapter, it is now available at https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-3/pro-3.5mm-mic-adapter/AAMIC-001.html

Hey Ladies andGents they are back in stock so more people ....  At least did you put another note in the box saying rephrain from using with an external powersource and no battery, that will be our Fix.  Like the  Mic and quiick capture, rephrain from using quick capture

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello GoPro:when will be out of sync problem be fixed ???

Just bought me a camera € 400,00 and an external mic adapter € 65,00 !

I want it to work properly as you can imagine,

Adventurer

[ New ]

Promic seems to be the Issue and  will they fix that?

Tourist

[ New ]

I feel totally ripped off. I bought an expensive camera, then an expensive adapter and noticed the problem right away.

I came here to ask for a fix (wasn’t the first one) and gopro said they’re working on one. That was how many months ago now!?

I was dumb enough to believe you would deliver as promised, so I didn’t return my camera, though I was still in my 30-days return period. 

Now I’ve been stuck with this peace of c**p that doesn’t work as promised.

Thanks a lot gopro! Is this honestly the way you handle buying customers?

Adventurer

[ New ]

Sorry to hear that maybe sell and move on if  a loss is what you can accept. if not rephraine from using the power cable to the promic until further info is released   

RIP VAN WHINKLE

Tourist

[ New ]

Ok so yet another report of this exact problem.

We bought the adaptor (£50 in the UK) and immediately had the sync problem. Also been waiting for a fix via firmware update or whatever.

Maybe an interesting snippet of info, and apologies if this has already been posted earlier in the thread, I haven't been through every one of the 17 pages, but:

We've found that we can get a) external line-in audio in sync, b) external power supply connected alongside 3.5mm audio jack ONLY when we follow these steps, in order:

1. Camera on
  2. Press record, leave 2 seconds
  3. Plug in external mic adaptor with audio line-in connected BUT NO POWER
  4. Leave 2-3 seconds
  5. Plug in power to external mic adaptor

This powers the camera from the external power whilst recording is underway, as well as allowing audio to be in-sync with video.

Also, GoPro, you have seriously dropped the ball here. Our next cameras won't be yours.

Tourist

[ New ]
Promic is sold as original GoPro accessoire so GoPro is responsible for fix as well.
I saw this topic started almost a year ago and still no fix.
If I had known this problem before I would not have bought the Hero 7 black and the promic as replacement for my Hero 4 black,
Tourist

[ New ]

Here is the latest on this issue. Contacted GoPro again and ask for a refund. Just sharing the support chat.
Have to admit that I really got super frustrated and had to stay calm...

Net: GoPro offered a replacement unit which does not solve this issue and they promised (again) to escalate the issue and come back to me via email.... 

It was very clear that the support does either not know about this issue or simply does not care.

------ chat with sensitive stuff and comments that might violate forum rules removed --------------------------

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 3:58:42 PM): My name is Jenny Ann. How can I help you?

Me (5/13/2019, 4:00:29 PM): Hi, I purchase a GoPro Hero 7 black last year (order number NAXXXXXXX). Have been contacting GoPro several times and also posted in the forum about an issue with the external mic adapter causing out of sync audio. Issue is known to GoPro for well over 6 months now and no fix. https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-7-External-Mic-Causing-Out-of-Sync-Audio/td-p/245538

Me (5/13/2019, 4:00:42 PM): I would like to return the camera for a full refund.

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:01:41 PM): Hi there, good day!

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:01:48 PM): Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:01:50 PM): ... You too. :-)

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:02:24 PM): I do apologize but refund is not applicable as we only have 30 day money back guarantee.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:03:23 PM): Ok, you have a product that has a defect that is known to GoPro since October 2018. The product is not doing what is designed to do. This is bit different than a normal return.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:04:20 PM): I am not asking for a return because I changed my mind or do not like the product. It is defect, GoPro is offering no fix and it is a paperweight for me right now.

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:06:01 PM): I understand that. The issue might be with the Pro Mic Adapter, we can replace it to further isolate the issue. Please bear in mind that we can only replace an item if it is within our warranty period.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:07:20 PM): Did you take a minute to read the forum posts I pointed to? I will clearly show you that this is not an issue with the MIC adapter. The adapter works fine on a Hero Session 5 and a GoPro Hero 6 black I also own.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:07:48 PM): This is a defect with the Hero 7

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:07:51 PM): I see. Thank you for that additional information. If that's the case, we can go ahead replace the HERO7 Black.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:08:42 PM): Again, please take a minute to read the forum. This issue effects all Hero 7 Black. It got acknowledged by GoPro as a defect in the software, but no fix has been provided for more than 6 months now.

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:10:37 PM): Alright. Technically, you haven't proceed with any replacement. All replacement cameras that we have need to undergo 14 point inspection before it ships out to make sure that our customers won't encounter the same issue with the replacement. If we will not replace the camera, we cannot justify that this issue hasn't resolved yet.

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:10:55 PM): Please let me know if you want to proceed with replacement as refund is not possible.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:12:31 PM): This makes zero sense. So, I can get a refund if your replacement does not solve the issue? How many times do I have to get it replaced? Again, reading the forum, reading that GoPro acknowledges the issue and that this effect all Hero 7 camera (including the replacement you are offering) would make it clear that this is not a solution.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:15:05 PM): There is a total of 17! pages in the forum on this issue.

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:15:36 PM): As I mentioned above, refund is not possible. Even if the camera was purchased on our website, we cannot process a refund once it is no longer within the 30 days from the date it was purchased. You may check the link below. https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/Warranty-Information

Me (5/13/2019, 4:16:31 PM): Can you please escalate this issue? 

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:16:44 PM): Alright. If you don't want to proceed with the replacement how would you want me to help you?

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:17:41 PM): Sure, I can let our Team know about this.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:18:38 PM): ok, you are really not taking the time to even understand what the issue is and why a replacement is not solving this. Here is what I will do. 1. I am going to make this chat public. 2. <removed to not violate forum rules>. 3. <removed to not violate forum rules> Hard to believe that GoPro really wants to treat customers like this. I own/have owned well over 10 cameras from GoPro over the years, but this is just ridiculous.

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:22:36 PM): Alright. I understand where you're coming from. I am here providing a resolution that can fix the issue by replacing the camera. I clearly state earlier that all replacement camera undergo with 14 point inspection before it ships out to make sure that our customers won't have the same issue.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:25:47 PM): Please take a minute to read the forum post. This will explain it. You are currently shipping all Hero 7 camera with this known defect. The issue is acknowledged by your engineering team (status update posted in the GoPro forum). There is no fix for it. Can I kindly ask you to bring this up with your internal teams and get back to me regarding a real solution? Sending a replacement is wasting money for GoPro and wasting my time. Let's not do this knowing that it is no solution. Really trying to help here...

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:26:37 PM): Okay. I will do my best to do that. Is there anything else in the mean time?

Me (5/13/2019, 4:27:14 PM): No. Appreciate the help. How will I hear back from GoPro? 

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:27:38 PM): Via email. Is this your email address, xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com?

Me (5/13/2019, 4:27:59 PM): Yes, correct. Any idea how long it will take?

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:28:29 PM): Cool! I have no idea how long would it take. Please check your email from time to time for an update.

Me (5/13/2019, 4:28:40 PM): ok, will do. Have a nice day.

Jenny Ann (5/13/2019, 4:28:56 PM): You too.

Tourist

[ New ]

Im not going to far out on a limb here but guessing that you will not hear any updates. I would also like to return my Hero 7 for a refund. I know that the CS agent you talked to could not offer this but I am wondering if talking to a manager would get this any further. I may try to call them when i have time and see if i can get a refund.

Hiker

[ New ]

I’m wondering if the tactic at this point is to take the issue off this community chat and get more public with it—tweeting publicly at GoPro, commenting aggressively on relevant YouTube reviews/vids, bringing the issue to the awareness of various consumer watchdog/advocacy organizations. But GoPro’s stock has not been doing great and it seems the company is not at its strongest these days. This, I suspect, is why something like this is a low priority for them—they’re just trying to stay afloat. Sadly, ignoring this kind of thing is exactly what will kill your company, rather than engendering a loyal support base who might buoy you through rough waters. Smdh. 

Nomad

[ New ]

I would take an exchange for a Hero 6 or two Hero 5s at this point.

It's just insane they have not fixed the firmware yet.  They probably have a fix but because of risk management or some other lame thing they make the developers do they can't release it......

Does anyone know how to let the CEO Mr. Woodman know about this?

I am using a Hero 5 now on my Kayak because it works perfectly with the mic adapter and external power.   If it's something related to the hypersmooth add a option to disable it.   

I suggest everyone go on social media i.e. facebook twitter etc and complain so the executives see it, if it becomes a reputation thing their risk management should kick in and force them to fix it.

Make as much noise as possible or it will never get fixed.......

Nomad

[ New ]

Post a coment on Casey Neistats video on the Hero 7 lots of people see that:

https://youtu.be/4EEiRtxU3aw

If people start seeing a lot of negative comments it could get noticed.   I still can't believe no one in charge looks at these forums.....

it does other stuff too. i just dont really care about live streaming. the app is finally great.. suppose i couldve mentioned that.Intro song: AllttA - All...
Hiker

[ New ]
Good news is DJI is announcing their action camera on the 15th of May so hopefully they kill GoPro with a nice product
Tourist

[ New ]
Have a chat with online support, they've setup an exchange for a new H7B for me. My hope being there's a hardware issue that later devices won't have. I'll update accordingly once I have it in-hand!
Tourist

[ New ]
Please do let us know. Very interested to see if this gets fixed and how it is handled. Hero6 issues with audio during WiFi operation were never addressed to my knowledge. I’m
Wondering if they will just not address and release hero 8 instead without fixing at all the 7.
Tourist

[ New ]

This will be most likekly what happens. The absent support on this page will then show back up and advise that we purchase the H8 to fix our issues with the H7.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I find the Hub support is not part of the actual gopro company. And why they limit   and reply with  c/p answers or should we say with minimal help. on the subject but stay tuned we are working on a solution and yet ever har of anything more.

Nomad

[ New ]
A hardware issue is highly unlikely...
They just don't care, well we will see how fast their stock drops on weds...
Hello Osmo Action..
Adventurer

[ New ]

Actually not a Person knows because no one has a fix or think there is a trouble according to GoPro. they are stumped, So Yes When DJI  llaunches.  . and Youtube increasesDJI action  vids...

Tourist

[ New ]
I think you're right, but a free exchange is always worth a punt.
Nomad

[ New ]

I actually used a Hero 5 on my last video from the Kayak and it worked flawlessy with the external power and Mic adapter.

Here is the 5 (browns lake):

https://youtu.be/XYIEPSR67HI

and here is the 7 (pike)

https://youtu.be/MTVI9XIeEcA

The 7 is with corrected audio using Audacity, and it was a pain in the rear.  I had to extract the audio from the source .mp4 add .500 seconds of silence and then mute the original audio and then pair the fixed track with the video track in Power Director.
It's not bad for one file, but I had to do it for 8 files, while with the Hero 5 I did nothing and I don't think the H7 looks that much better and the audio is exactly the same (minus the sync issue of course).

4 Pike from Big Muskego Lake. #topwater #topwaterpike #bigmuskego #kayakfishing #bassfishingAll caught on topwater wake baits. One Pike actually hit the wak...
Explored new water (to me) at Browns Lake, Burlington WI.#bassfishing #largemouthbass #kayakbassfishingWeather conditions where terrible but I still manged t...
Nomad

[ New ]

I also did the online chat support and they had me upload sample files.

I suggest everyone who is having the issue do that as well as posting here so a support ticket gets created.

Nomad

[ New ]

Hey, interesting developement.

I was messing around with the whole external mic issue and I thought lets turn off the stabilaztion completeiy and see what happens....guess what with it completely turned off no sync issue when the external power is used.

I did this in 1080p 60 wide and in the setting you can turn off the stabiliztion and then I pulled the battery plugged in the mic module plugged the power and mic into the adapter and turned it on.  Voices match the mouth movement etc.

Not sure why stabilization woudl have anything to do with the pass through power on the adapter, but it does.  my guess is it a just inadvertent bug.

So if you are using your camera for long recording and it's mounted on something sturdy and you don't need the stabilization just disable it and the audio should sync properly.

Next time I go out in my Kayak I am just going to disable it and see what it looks like.

Nomad

[ New ]

Ok, guess what on 1080p if you set the fps to 120 it sets the stabilization to standard and guess what no sync issue. The only issue with setting it to 120fps is it drastically decreases the recording time available. but it's better than nothing. This issue is directly related the the hyper smooth and the pass through power on the audio adapter.  It's super werid that where the power comes from would have any bearing on the stabilization.  It has to be some stupid bug in the firmware.