Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

Feel free to buy mine and my H7 with it!
Highlighted
Nomad

For applications like on a Kayak the external power supply is a must.  When the camera is mounted behind you on a painters pole stuck in a rod holder you don't want to be swapping batteries all day.

Anyways I found that the delay, as i read elsewhere is exactly .500 seconds.  What I did was to use a program called audacity to extract the audio and then insert .500 seconds of silence and then use that extracted and fixed auido track instead of the embedded one.

What that being said there is no excuse on GoPro's part for not resolving this as it was reported back in Oct 2018.

to fix it while watching and  listening you can use VLC media player and under tools it has a option to ajust the audio and video sync on the fly.

Highlighted
Sightseer

No, I'm going to have to disagree with that one. Mine was out of sync WITHOUT the use of an external battery pack.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I've got an extra, brand-new in the box if you want to buy it at regular retail price.
Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

"No, I'm going to have to disagree with that one. Mine was out of sync WITHOUT the use of an external battery pack."

They may have fixed something in the last firmware update.  It definatley only does it on mine with the battery pack plugged into the adapter.

The initial reports from last october said it got worse as the video went on and could not be fixed in post, but I was able to fix mine by adding .5 seconds of silence to the begining of the audio track.

Highlighted
Tourist

I sent you a PM.
Highlighted
Hiker

@snorkel12068 wrote:
@ tj311 Are you by chance using a external power bank with the camera that is using the mic adapter?

@snorkel12068 NO. The external power supply is on the gopro mounted in the rear of my kayak.  I use the external mic on my chest mounted camera and I just swap out the battery every hour or so. Then I also have an external power supply mounted on my third camera, which is mounted on the front of the kayak. I have started using my hero 5 for that mount because it never has any issues with freezing up. I put a hero 7 on that external battery and it freezes the camera up. The Hero 7s are so unreliable. Constantly having to do battery pulls to unfreeze them. I got rid of one of them and now just use 2 Hero 7s, 1 hero 6 and 1 hero 5.  The 5 is the most stable of all of them. So frustrating.

Highlighted
Nomad

I ran my H7 on my behind the shoulder mount and ran it all day last saturday and it never froze up, it did stop recording because the camera kept draining the battery and it would get down to 2% and then shut off even though external power was still connected with plenty of power left.

Good to see another Kayak fisherman on here Do you have a youtube channel?

Mine is bassman strikes.

Here is the H7 video from last sat where I caught a small Muskie, check it out: