Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 External Mic Causing Out of Sync Audio

[ New ]

+1 more having this issue. Never had an issue before with my HERO 5 & 6, but man its making editing a pain with HERO 7.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue.

Gopro hero 7 black with firmwarre 1.70

Tourist

[ New ]

Already two firmware update with no fix for this issue. Dissapointing.

This issue is very easy to replicate and should really not take too long to fix if it is considered a priority.

Can someone from GoPro confirm that this is beeing actively investigated and that there is a clear commitment to get this fixed?

Time to put a clear statement out so that people can make alternative plans as needed if there is no fix comming.

Tourist

[ New ]

Another week with no update.

@aragon1006 You indicated in earlier post that GoPro is workign on this. Can you please share an update?

Tourist

[ New ]

Give us an update. I am about to post another video on this issue due to the lack of response we are receiving. Even if things are not going well, at least tell us it is being worked on. The next video im thinking about vlogging for my youtube channel may be "Vlogger gives up on failed action camera company GoPro" or Vlogger tired of the failed GoPro attempts and ditches the camera setup for Sony or Nikon".

Tourist

[ New ]
Im sorry, I am just more disappointed in this camera than I have ever been in the past. I have supported this company for over 10 years and solely used a GoPro to film my vlogs for the last 8 years and the only thing that has improved is the MP and resolution it seems. How about some improvement in the audio? It is evident that the people that care about good audio out of an action sport camera is not GoPros market. With my new found enlightenment this will solidify my decision more than ever to walk away from this company. There are action cameras for underwater video that are equal in resolution for alot cheaper than $350 that i can use to get these shots.
Tourist

[ New ]

This I painfull. So I get the Go pro 7 with the Mic adapter like many to do vlogs etc.. Firstly Powerbank and Massive card Etc and shoulder strap to do POV and yep me to..Sync is way out..My problem is I have a Rig on my should so No real view...because if I sync with the App I cant use the Remote because It doesnt like it ! If i Sync with the Remote and It looses signal I have to take all this stuff off ! Now Im out of SYNC with the AUDIo...What makes me angry is I upgraded from a Version 4 to this Thing Because of the Crackle when using the App !! looks like I will go Back the the 4 and Just use the Remote !! Im shocked if you dont sort this Out and I promise this Time Even with Your poultry Discount to upgrade to a Product that doesnt work correctly I may NEVER return to this Product. Very disapointed in The GO pro 7 at the Moment.

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree. We need a proper answer from gopro. Will this be fixed, and when? Or should I return my gopro 7 as inoperative. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Same for us. Gopro should demonstrate more respect to customers. As for us our rig is not working properly we should be able to return our kit and get full pay back. It's a shamy situation. As said previously perhaps they are not able to debug it but a working firmware is madatory. there is ton of coder there open your code and let the community help you. Chineese competitor already copy your features and algorithm so nothing to be afraid anymore. 

Tourist

[ New ]

The silence from GoPro on this is deafening and shows a complete lag of customer service or even basic empathy. 

Nomad

[ New ]

I was out today and tried the mic adaptor and Røde Video Micro microphone. Hero7 Black was running v1.70. Linear mode 1080/25.

After reading all this I was surprised to not find an audio sync issue in my footage at all.

Maybe PAL setting in camera works better? All problems are with NTSC mode aka 30 FPS?

52014003_10218612476803505_7472420437004124160_n.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

The issue only happens when external power is used. No issue when just a microphone is connected.

Nomad

[ New ]

So much ado about nothing. Just don't use a power bank. :-p

Tourist

[ New ]

"Maybe PAL setting in camera works better?"

Unfortunately not - I use PAL settings and still get the sync issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

@agilestoke40735 wrote:

So much ado about nothing. Just don't use a power bank. :-p

You do understand that the charging port on the mic adapter is there for a reason.
Just be glad if you're able to record all you need on a single battery, or swap batteries on the fly.
However, all of us are not. As already explained here, we use these cameras for different needs. 

In my case, I need to keep my gopro running for longer times, starting and stopping it remotely.
Also, I won't be able to continuously remove and plug back in the mic adapter as I won't be next to my gopro.
I'm using multiple cameras too, so I can't keep running between them. Other examples were mentioned here, if you only would have read them.  

Gopro should be able to run on external power when using the mic adapter (as the feature is there), and still keep audio in sync.
This is obvious. 

Now gopro, please. Time to give us an answer. 
Hiker

[ New ]

We do have plenty of customer with this microphone adapter issue which GoPro is totally ignoring.

Tourist

[ New ]

Has anybody tried to return the camera for this known defect that GoPro is not fixing?
What was the feedback from GoPro?

Tourist

[ New ]

No i havent and I dont even think I have had mine for a Month yet so maybe thats an idea.

Tourist

[ New ]

Understand the reason and also do not believe that legal action is the right way to go about solving this issue. 

Can I kindly ask you to help this discussion to get back onto a path that leads to a solution of this problem?

Specifically:

1. Is there anythign that we can help GoPro with to get this problem debugged and resolved?
  2. What is the current priority to get this fix and is a fix even planned?
  3. What should effected customer do?
Hiker

[ New ]

@sveng368 ignoring us customers is not the right way to go about it either.
I have seen many many people reporting this issue and GoPro is completely ignoring to comment on the issue like its going to vanish on its own, people paid money for this device and want a functional device, if they don't have a solution, they should just credit the customers with their money and not take the money and ignore the issue.

Tourist

[ New ]
Fully understand your frustration and I am equally frustrated.
Just writing an email for GoPro's CEO (hope I have the correct email).

Issues happen. What really matters is how companies deal with issues. This is were GoPro is dropping the ball.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @sveng368 and @niceshore20718. Thank you for your concern, and for the feedback you provided. Our team is aware of the issue and a ticket has been created for it. They are working on it but as of latest check, has not come up with a fix yet. They are looking at a firmware update but there is no information about it at this time. We posted that we will provide an update (keep this thread updated) once we hear back from the team and we will definitely do it. 

If you have not done it yet, it would help if you contact our Support team regarding the issue. It is always important that details surrounding the issue are gathered and collated so the team working on it has a better understanding of what is happening. Cases created through our Support team are submitted to the team directly for a closer look. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya is any new product replacing this clunky big adapter coming up?

This Adapter is literary, not available or getting sold by anyone anymore and out of stock everywhere including GoPro shopping site it self.

Thanks

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @niceshore20718. At this time, there is no information about a replacement, or when the stocks will be replenished. Please continue to watch out for updates through https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-3/pro-3.5mm-mic-adapter/AAMIC-001.html

Hiker

[ New ]
I am experiencing the same issue with my Hero7. It doesnt seem to be a problem when running off the internal battery. However, once external power is connected to the mic adapter, the sync is thrown way off (like a full second). This is a real problem for me as I bought the gopro primarily to be able to capture live in-studio performances, with an audio line in. And the camera needs to essentially be in standby mode at all times during a session. Battery power ain't gonna cut it, I'm afraid. 

I am running the latest firmware update as of writing this (3/9/19). I reeeally really hope you can solve this. It's bad enough getting charged an additional $50 for a 3.5mm mic/line adapter dongle, but then having it not work as advertised. And it looks like this issue is going on 4 or 5 months unresolved? Come on, folks. Do better.
Hiker

[ New ]

I also would like an update. For my next video, I am comdering on going back to the Hero 6 as syncing the sound in post is so annoying and outweighs any of 7’s benefits 

Tourist

[ New ]

Using the Hero 6 is exactly what I am doign right now. The Hero 7 is an expensive paper weight for my use case until this issue is fixed. Smiley Sad

Tourist

[ New ]

Really? This is the best response you can offer?

Let's be really frank here - the audio for GoPro 7 is a disaster. The awful and clearly last minute/Friday night design, the sync issues, the exorbitant price point for the adapter, and now the stance that the company cant either consider demmand correctly or just has no viable option...

How about do your job properly? The product owner inside of the company knows exactly when a new build will be available, or they know exactly what the options are in a new product design and have dates that could be communicated. Contact the product owner if he/she is not fired already, or get your boss to contact his/her boss and provide a meaningful response to your customers - while you still have them.

This is not the quality of customer service that people expect from GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

The support and customer service being supplied here is what I would expect from DJI. The fact that GoPro has stopped to this level is disheartening. I will give GoPro 4 months to role out a fix for this issue before I sell off all of my gear and give up GoPro forever. By this time the GoPro hero 8 will almost be out, which may be what there waiting for to fix this issue. Just keep sweeping it under the rug and give people motivation to buy another Action camera that does not do what its advertised to do. I am getting very close to making another public announcement on my youtube channel commenting on the support and service gopro has provided and advising people to take there busines elsewhere. Apparently this is the only way we actually get a response from this company. The least GoPro can do is supply an update on the progress of this issue. What do you say @aragon1006  @mariustanya  ?

Hiker

[ New ]
@jordanm0130 make the video. The more negative press out there the better on these issues. Problem is not enough people rely on the external battery for them to address it. It’s been plagued since the hero 5 with that adapter. I’m went back to the hero 4 and mention it in a lot of my videos. I also made a video calling out the live feature https://youtu.be/b3z08xKdVDI
Tourist

[ New ]

@photogromer  The next video I will make will not be one about going back to a previous gopro, it will be about ditching Gopro forever and switching to the DJI Osmo Pocket. At least with DJI when they have an issue they fix it immediatly and try to improve sound quality, which Gopro has failed to do the last 6 years and the future does not look any better. Yes there cutomer service sucks but at this rate it is looking better then GoPros.

Hiker

[ New ]

Do it...post a link when it's up. Empty threats are meaningless. They don't give a **bleep** obviously by the lack of updates this far into the release. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone. An update for those who are looking for the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter. It is now back in stock at https://shop.gopro.com/International/accessories-2/pro-3.5mm-mic-adapter/AAMIC-001.html . 

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, you too can spend too much money on a mic adapter that doesn't work properly with your $400 camera! GTO of here with that crap until you post an update to the audio issue using said mic adapter why would you blast it out as being back in stock. Get the problem solved called out on this thread or provide an update and estimated fix date. Seriously GoPro ya'll suck lately.

Hiker

[ New ]

Mariustanya,

Is the out of sync issue fixed yet???

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @thorsteno1. We just checked with the team. Unfortunately, there is no update or fix on the audio sync issue yet. We will continue to monitor updates and keep you posted on this thread. Thanks!

Nomad

[ New ]

@mariustanyaanother thing to make note of concerning the out of sync audio:
I have 3 gopro 7 blacks paired to a smart remote. One of the cameras has an external mic attached. When I press the record button on the remote, 2 cameras start recording simultaneously and the camera with the mic attached starts recording a split second later. So it's out of sync with the other 2 cameras. (I use multiple angles for my finished videos and this makes it a nightmare to edit). BUT.... If I press the record button, then press the stop button a few seconds later.... and then right away... press record again.... all 3 cameras will start at exactly the same time. Works fine. Then if the cameras are stopped for more than a few minutes, I have to repeat that process again to get them to start in sync. Strange behavior.

GoPro

[ New ]

This is noted @tj311. Thank you for the details that you provided. We will share them with the team. 

Hiker

[ New ]

You guys can reproduce it right? If not, I can send my stuff in. I cannot use my 7 until this is fixed.

Nomad

[ New ]

This was reported back in Oct it seems and it's still not fixed!!!!

Just noticed this yesterday and my H7 is on latest firmware etc.

Using audio adapter with external MIC and anker power bank plugged in on a fishing Kayak and was using the smart remote.

Nomad

[ New ]
@ tj311 Are you by chance using a external power bank with the camera that is using the mic adapter?
Hiker

[ New ]

This is really not good enough. I would like to know how seriously GoPro are taking this problem?  I'd like to think there was a dedicated team working day and night to fix a problem that has been around for months now. I love my H7, especially the stabilisation, well done GoPro but when I get back home and make a film from my recordings I am hugely dissappointed. I am using an external mic and an external power supply with the GoPro adapter. This would appear to be the root of the problem but come on GoPro, you have the resources, please fix this.

Adventurer

[ New ]

I more or less no longer use the external power due to this when I first   had the issue?  Look how long it took them to say rephrain from using the  quick capture, look how quick ittook them to correct hypersmooth in firmware.  So maybe  the fix was  stopping stock orrunning out of stock on hte promic. no  GoPro come foward and offer SYPPORT to us all we ask to keep the site in touch  by saying.  There is no fix today, we are still looking into it...  Please do check back tomorrow.

Being Hush hush  just fades away.   I wonder if I should grab my Hero 5 black and try the test again to fresh my memory, gopro would want us to be  using their  latest and greatest not old and outated....

FISH

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey all. I am/was having the same issue. Start recording with external mic attached through the adapter, and audio would be completely out of sync. Today, I reset my camera back to factory settings, set it up from scratch again, and it seems to have resolved. At least mostly. Still can't connect to an external battery pack and record without it going out of sync, but when just using the internal battery it seems to be working just fine now. Your mileage may vary.

Tourist

[ New ]

This is the way it always works fine. You dont need to reset it, just dont use an external power source which is the issue.

Tourist

[ New ]

Having recently upgraded from a 3 to a 6, I wanted to start vlogging on my motocycle.  Long story short, I needed the mic adapter, which is nowhere to be found.  No one has one and no one knows when it's going to be available.  So, I have to believe that the ship from China with a deck of Conex boxes full of mic adapters sunk in the middle of the Pacific Ocean or there is a new adapter in the pipeline.  I'm hoping for the latter, especially after reading about all the problems with the existing adapter.

Tourist

[ New ]
Feel free to buy mine and my H7 with it!
Nomad

[ New ]

For applications like on a Kayak the external power supply is a must.  When the camera is mounted behind you on a painters pole stuck in a rod holder you don't want to be swapping batteries all day.

Anyways I found that the delay, as i read elsewhere is exactly .500 seconds.  What I did was to use a program called audacity to extract the audio and then insert .500 seconds of silence and then use that extracted and fixed auido track instead of the embedded one.

What that being said there is no excuse on GoPro's part for not resolving this as it was reported back in Oct 2018.

to fix it while watching and  listening you can use VLC media player and under tools it has a option to ajust the audio and video sync on the fly.

Sightseer

[ New ]

No, I'm going to have to disagree with that one. Mine was out of sync WITHOUT the use of an external battery pack.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I've got an extra, brand-new in the box if you want to buy it at regular retail price.