Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black recording upside down

I only have this problem on my Windows 7 machine. Quicktime displays it correctly, but Windows Medial Player plays it upside down. Windows Explorer also shows the icons upside down as well. Windows 10, on the other hand, shows icons in File Explorer are right-side up and Windows Media Player plays them correctly.

Anybody know how to get Windows 7 to do things correctly?

Hiker

@sweetvista76726- the problem is not with windows 7.

The problem is because of the way the gopro 7 records upside down video. It records it upside down with metadata indicating that it's recorded upside down. This is a problem for many video player that don't pay attention to the metadata information. Some do, some don't. It's got nothing to do with windows 7.

This problem gets even worse with video editor that don't properly carry the metadata forward to the final video. You have to manually flip everything in order to get it to work.

Your only real choice is to find a player that works and just use it. Or hope that Gopro will eventually update the 7 and add an upside down mode that works like the 6 did.

Tourist

Or in my case Hero 4 Black.

Tourist

I just read through this thread.

This is stupid. My Hero 5 easily handled recording either way without this metadata monkey business.

I have to flip each clip while editing - this is a pain the @ss. I can't properly review the clips on my computer as NONE of the players take this metadata into account.

This is definite step backwards and should be fixed to work like the Hero 5 & 6.
Tourist

Let us know if you need further assistance.????

Nothing has been fixed, what do you mean "further assistance" just answered with the settings I was using

GoPro

Hello @elmoeod. When Landscape Lock is Off, the photos should automatically be oriented right-side up and this should be seen on both the camera preview screen, as well as in the computer after importing the photos through Quik for desktop. I just tested with a few photos - taken in different orientations (camera upside down, upright, portrait) and all the resulting photos are correctly oriented as viewed in Quik and in Windows Media Player. Will you be able to check on your end is your stills behave the same way? Could it be that LightRoom may have a different orientation detection system? 

Tourist

Windows 10 is just fine. File Explorer shows thumbnails corretly and videos show correctly. The problem is the videos produced by the Hero 7 are upside down when viewed by Windows 10. My Hero 4 Black worked the way it should.

This is a GoPro problem with their Hero 7. The only program I can get to show videos correctly is Quicktime and the color is off. 

Tourist

Correction to above post, "The problem is the videos produced by the Hero 7 are upside down when viewed by Windows 10." should be "The problem is the videos produced by the Hero 7 are upside down when viewed by Windows 7."