Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black recording upside down

So my last ride I had switched the screen lock to upside down. I had the camera mounted upside down and used the quick capture mode. Out of my 8 or so videos all of them recorded correctly and remained right side up.
Highlighted
Tourist

That's all well and good, but it doesn't solve the problem of playing them back on a computer, or editing them with other software.  Many programs will still see them as upside down, causing all sorts of head aches later.  I have tried the landscape lock and it doesn't solve the underlying problem.

Highlighted
Tourist

Has anyone found a solution of sorts to this?

All my footage is upside down when played back in (up-to-date) Premiere Pro CS6 but plays in the correct orientation in Windows 10's media player etc.

Video was recorded with landscape lock set to down

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, temp fix is to manually flip each and every clip after having cut the bits out of the upside down raw clip but that's no good as that's absolutely mind numbing...

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Explorer

This has to do with individual programs not reading the metadata correctly.  It's not a GoPro issue.  As far as editing multiple clips in Premiere, just correct the orientation in one clip and copy the attributes and then select all clips (other than the first) and paste the attribute.  It shouldn't be taking any time at all.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I did see it was about meta data further up the thread i was just seeing if anyone knew an overall fix to essentially get Premiere to read said meta data as we shouldn't even need to be flipping the video at all considering that Premiere is one of the best softwares on the market!!

Thanks for your response
Highlighted
Explorer

True, although you are talking about an Adobe product released seven years ago and as of January 9, 2017 is no longer distributed by Adobe, and therefore not on the market . I, for example, have no issues with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2019 (which can be argued to be one of the best software on the market). You might want to consider DaVinci Resolve 16 if you would like to stay current with video editors (it's free and in many ways considered better than Premiere Pro).
Highlighted
Tourist

Christ... had no idea it was that old! That could be the issue haha. Will see about the alternatives and check back with the outcome later

Cheers Dan
Highlighted
Tourist

Someone at GoPro made the (in my opinion stupid) decision to rely on the meta data to establish orientation, and as we have seen here that makes their video essentially incompatible with a whole bunch of programs.  That IS a GoPro problem.  If they just physically flipped the video as the older versions of their camera did, it wouldn't be an issue, regardless of what program the video is edited or played back in.  If it's not a GoPro problem, it will become one if people stop buying their cameras since their video will only play back / edit correctly in certain programs.

Also, the program I personally am having problems with is Dashware, which is OWNED BY GOPRO.  This is a GoPro problem.  The least they could do if they want to rely on meta data is release updated versions of their own programs that properly read the meta data.