Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black recording upside down

This is a GoPro problem. It's as if the developers did their development on a Windows 10 system (or Mac; just an assumption, since QuickTime Player plays them correctly on Windows 7) that displays thumbnails and videos correctly and didn't even test on other systems/OSs. 

As mentioned before, by numerous people, previous versions (Hero 4 Black, in my case) didn't have this problem. Only one thing changed. My OS didn't change at the same time I got my Hero 7. 

If I developed something like this and sold it and refused to fix it, I'd be fired. Any time something goes wrong with our instruments, it's "all hands on deck" to fix it ASAP.

Highlighted
Tourist

I’m having the same problem with my hero 7 using v01.70.00. I am recording upside down, and both on the camera playback and when videos are transferred to the GoPro app on my iPhone, half the videos are upside down and the others are right side up. Even worse is It doesn’t give the option to flip the videos. I can do it in the quick app for the story but the original video stays the same. I am using the quick capture mode where I push the shutter button while the power is off and the camera is in the same position every time. I don’t get why it is doing this.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @brandonp24

You may try to save the file from the app to your phone's gallery.

Once it's there, you should be able to rotate the video.

Regarding shooting with Quikcapture, it is possible that the camera has not established the correct orientation before the recording has started.

It will be best to turn the camera from the Mode button before recording.

Or keep the orientation locked either Up/Down before if using Quikcapture.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Ej, this doesn't work unfortunately. 

Yes, the problem seems to be in Quickcapture mode. Firstly, when I skydive and my camera is hooked to my helmet - Quickcapture is the only way to operate it (and the reason I bought it in the first place). 

Secondly, as mentioned before, locking the orientation doesn't help it - I had it Off, locked up and locked down - in all 3 cases resulting videos end up being either in correct orientation or upside down with no apparent logic behind it.

Highlighted
Tourist

@rapidtree65255 wrote:

Ej, this doesn't work unfortunately. 

Yes, the problem seems to be in Quickcapture mode. Firstly, when I skydive and my camera is hooked to my helmet - Quickcapture is the only way to operate it (and the reason I bought it in the first place). 

Secondly, as mentioned before, locking the orientation doesn't help it - I had it Off, locked up and locked down - in all 3 cases resulting videos end up being either in correct orientation or upside down with no apparent logic behind it.

Are you using Windows 7?

Highlighted
Tourist

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hi @brandonp24

You may try to save the file from the app to your phone's gallery.

Once it's there, you should be able to rotate the video.

Regarding shooting with Quikcapture, it is possible that the camera has not established the correct orientation before the recording has started.

It will be best to turn the camera from the Mode button before recording.

Or keep the orientation locked either Up/Down before if using Quikcapture.

Thanks!

Ej

This is not a solution. My Hero 4 recorded upside down just fine and I could view it on Windows 7 up right. My Hero 7 does not. 

NOT A SOLUTION!

Highlighted
Tourist

This has been a huge hassle for me as well.  I use my Hero7 for autocross, and the best way to mount the camera is upside down.  I post process all of my videos in Dashware (a GoPro owned program I might point out). 

All of the videos load into Dashware upside down, and even if I check the "rotate video" option in the view menu, the resulting output video is still upside down.  Within Dashware the video will display correctly after checking the "rotate" option, but it still outputs upside down regardless of the status of that option.

The only workaround I have found is to manually rotate the video in an editor before working on it in Dashware.  While I like the overall video quality and image stabalization, the rotation issue is a huge pain.  This was never an issue with my old Hero Session.

Highlighted
Hiker

Exact same issue with my GoPro Hero 7 Black.

On my most recent MTB ride I had my GoPro chest-mounted upside-down.

Some videos are recorded correctly while others upside down. Even when watching directly on GoPro they are simply upside down. So no matter the camera was all the time chest-mounted in the same position the results are totally inconsistent.

Is there any quick way to rotate those upside-down recorded by 180 degrees?

So far I did not have such an experience, it maybe occurred on 1 or 2 videos but during last ride I have quite a few such videos. I am on the latest firmware btw.

thanks

lukas