Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black recording upside down

Got it. Thank you for sharing, @sweetvista76726. We are unable to replicate the views on Windows 7 but Windows 10 view them correctly, according to the Landscape Lock chosen and how the camera is oriented when filming. When Landscape Lock is Off, the footage is automatically switch to the correct (upright) side when viewed. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Landscape Lock on or off doesn't matter. Thumbnails and video is always upside down when recording upside down. I have is upside down when recording offroad trips and Landscape Lock is off. When recording with Landscape Lock Up or Down or Off, thumbnails and video is always upside down on my Windows 7 Home. Period. No if, ands or buts.
Highlighted
Tourist

Registered just to post this. Are you guys in GoPro seriously don't undestand what he's talking about?! Can you please somebody who undestands the feature answer this questions, not just a customer service rep with "thank you, let us know if you need further assistance"?

I have the same issue - just bought the Hero 7 Black. I use it for skydiving and the mount I use for my helmet mounts the GoPro upside down, plus the fact that I am rotating in all directions when I am falling - I need to lock the orientation, which is not an issue since I can change the orientatioin, right? Wrong! All videos are shown properly on the camera itself - but upside down when I transfer files to the computer.

This is huge pain in the ass.. Please address it, feel like I should be returning the camera now..

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @rapidtree65255

Which media player are you using? There is a tag embedded in the .mp4 video file that tells a video player that the image is upside down, and will correct the video for the viewer.  Since you are mounting the GoPro upside down, and if you haven't yet, see how it goes when the auto-rotation is set to Down. Hope to hear back from you. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

I understand this is a Windows Media Player problem. Both Up and Down auto-rotation settings end up with a video being upside down on WMP, so I need to post-edit to rotate it. This is not a problem for me per se, as I can use other software to watch the video that can read the 180 tag, however the problem is when I am sharing this video file with somebody who's not really into all these tech things (i.e. parents) - and the only software they have on their computer is WMP, good luck explaining them how to download/use another program for it. I am a new GoPro user and not sure about this, but it was mentioned here before that previous versions didn't have this issue (assuming the video was rotated properly by GoPro without need to attach a tag). On another note, the entire auto-rotation feature is buggy and may or may not function as expected depending on the mode (quick caputre seems to be pretty unpredictable, especially after shutting GoPro off once).

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the feedback, @rapidtree65255. We will forward this to the team for a closer look. We will post about it here once we hear back from them. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the same problem...

I must mount the camera on my hangglider in upside down.

My old HD Hero (9 years old!!!) had in the settings a feature "UPd". Wonderful, no problems!

Now I bough the 7 black and all my videos are standing on the head. Bullsh**!

Of course I can turn all my clips in the video cutting software (MAGIX) but this is addiional work and - much more important - it needs a lot of computing performance to work with all those "manually turned" videos.

The landscape feature only have his impact on the LCD -  NOT on the video which is stored on the SD card!

It's incredible to remove the feature "UPd" from the firmware, dear GoPro!

Bring it back into the next FW version please!

Highlighted
Hiker

@rapidtree65255 wrote:

I understand this is a Windows Media Player problem.

That's the thing - This is not just a Windows Media Player problem.

This is a problem with many media players and even more media editors.

There are a lot of programs out there that don't pay attention to the orientation data correctly.

Even GoPro Quik doesn't always display correctly.

It's going to take years for everyone to update their software - if they even ever do.

Bottom Line - the GoPro 7 should support the same 'upside down' mode the earlier GoPro's used. Flip the video at record time and mark it's orientation as right side up. Problem solved for EVERYONE.