Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 Black - "lock in landscape" feature

[ New ]
I recently bought the Hero 7 Black and was very confused that there is no "lock in landscape" feature which automatically switches between up and down. As a diver I want the GoPro locked in landscape mode. Of course I'm using the under water housing. Most of the time I'm holding the camera "up" but sometimes I want to take some shots just above the sea floor and therefore I hold it upside down. So as far as I know there is no option the camera switches between these two orientations and ignoring the portrait mode. With the Hero 6 this was possible, of course due to its lack of portrait mode. Is there any chance GoPro will implement this in a future update?
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black - "lock in landscape" feature

[ New ]

Totally has the lock mode, menu or via app, it's under preferences > touch display. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Sure there is a lock mode but not with the options I described. I want the GoPro automatically switch between "up" and "down", but ignoring "portrait" orientation. I can only choose between permanently "up", permanently "down" or "auto" which includes portrait. So all I want is a fourth option to choose from in the menu.
Tourist

[ New ]

I totally get what you're saying.  I scuba dive as well, and sometimes if it's on a floating handle or selfie stick it's nice to invert the camera and have it still capture right side up.  I don't even have "auto" in my options.  I have "up" "down", or "off".  I can't figure out why you'd ever want to shoot in portrait mode. 

Tourist

[ New ]
You are right. In the menu it's called "off" not "auto". But in this case it is the same because the camery automatically switches between the three orientations. I totally agree that the use for portrait mode may be very limited. For me there's no use for it. Too sad you can't turn it off and force the Hero 7 in landscape mode as described above. Some response from GoPro would be nice!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi Everyone!

We'll have this shared to the team in charge.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Software Update Release Information

Thanks!

Ej