Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 Black no easy way to control media playback through micro HDMI (screen goes black)

[ New ]

I recently purchased a micro HDMI to HDMI cable so I could view my media on my TV.  I have an older Macbook Pro which wont effectively  render the 4K, so this was the easy way to watch video.  I seen a thread on this site from about 2 years ago that was basically the same thing.  I connected camera to TV, my 7 Black's screen goes black, I am still able to blindly control it by touch, but with little certainty.  I have a 15 year-old Sony mini DV where I was able to do this basic function to watch video.  Has this basic playback functionality issue really  not been resolved??  I played with the output settings, but Live and Monitor just shows what the camera sees, not media playback.  Am I being forced to purchase a remote to control this, or use the rudimentary button control for this?  I could live with it if I could use my app on my smartphone to control it, but it says the camera is busy.  I love the camera, and the video quality is amazing, so I'm just frustrated about this playback problem, PLEASE HELP!!

Tony

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black no easy way to control media playback through micro HDMI (screen goes black)

[ New ]

Hello, @nw12-4life. There is a third option, MEDIA. When the camera is set to this mode, it puts your GoPro media up on the big screen for everyone to see. Follow the steps below for a guide:

1. From the camera’s main screen, swipe down to access the Dashboard.

2. Tap Preferences > Input/Output > HDMI Output > Media.

3. Use a micro HDMI cable to connect your camera to an HDTV or monitor.

4. Select the HDMI input on the TV.

5. Press the Mode button on your camera to move through the controls, then press the Shutter button to select the control. For example, use the Mode button to go through the thumbnails until you get to media, then use the Shutter button to select it. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black no easy way to control media playback through micro HDMI (screen goes black)

[ New ]

Hello, @nw12-4life. There is a third option, MEDIA. When the camera is set to this mode, it puts your GoPro media up on the big screen for everyone to see. Follow the steps below for a guide:

1. From the camera’s main screen, swipe down to access the Dashboard.

2. Tap Preferences > Input/Output > HDMI Output > Media.

3. Use a micro HDMI cable to connect your camera to an HDTV or monitor.

4. Select the HDMI input on the TV.

5. Press the Mode button on your camera to move through the controls, then press the Shutter button to select the control. For example, use the Mode button to go through the thumbnails until you get to media, then use the Shutter button to select it.