Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 7 Black multipule issues

Hi All, 

I've recently purchased GoPro Hero 7 Black from the store. 

I encounter multiple issues with the product: 

1. Camera turns off without noticeable reason: I usually encounter this while using my GoPro as a dash cam and my first thought was hitting issues BUT it also happened while the camera was cold [at the beginning of a recording] and also not in loop mode.
  2. After turned off with no reason, GoPro won't respond or open for a few minutes. First, I thought I had to cool the device, BUT today it did not open for an hour after shutting down. I've tried plugging in & out the charger cable with no response from the device. I've tried pushing the on\off button for variant length of time - nothing happened.
  3. Loop mode, though set to 20 minutes, only loops for 5 minutes.
  4. Slow shut down response or no response at all. On several occasions hitting the off button causes the device to halt. Screen won't respond & I have to pull out the battery.
  5. Battery runs out in less than two-three hours of usage. By two-three hours of usage I mean normal usage and not non-stop video recording or anything a like.
  6. GoPro desktop app Quick won't play videos smoothly [while simple other apps have no problem], takes ages to load & crashes on various flows.

I am very disappointed of the value I got from this expensive product. Please advise. 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black multipule issues

Hello @boldrange67514,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. This is definitely no the experience we want you to have. Reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

It is also important to use a recommended SD card for your camera. You can get the full list of microSD cards that are known to work well with GoPro cameras here. Format the SD card before use. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.)

The camera will work normally when powered from an external power source. If you opt to have the camera continuously charged for extended recording, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestion when using external power source for continuous recording. On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops. 

As for the Looping mode in the camera, if you've ever recorded a GoPro video longer than 15-20 minutes and then reviewed it on your computer, you're likely familiar with chaptering; it's how the camera splits a longer (continuous) video recording into smaller files.

As for the Quik for Desktop, you may try updating your graphics card drivers and ensure that your computer met the Minimum System Requirements for Quik for Desktop.

Kind Regards,

Ann

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black multipule issues

Hello @boldrange67514,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. This is definitely no the experience we want you to have. Reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified on this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

It is also important to use a recommended SD card for your camera. You can get the full list of microSD cards that are known to work well with GoPro cameras here. Format the SD card before use. (NOTE: Reformatting the SD card will delete all data off of the card, so be sure that you save any videos or pictures you want to keep on your computer before reformatting the SD card.)

The camera will work normally when powered from an external power source. If you opt to have the camera continuously charged for extended recording, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestion when using external power source for continuous recording. On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops. 

As for the Looping mode in the camera, if you've ever recorded a GoPro video longer than 15-20 minutes and then reviewed it on your computer, you're likely familiar with chaptering; it's how the camera splits a longer (continuous) video recording into smaller files.

As for the Quik for Desktop, you may try updating your graphics card drivers and ensure that your computer met the Minimum System Requirements for Quik for Desktop.

Kind Regards,

Ann