Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black - live stream to Facebook PAGE

I can only confirm it worked with my business page on Facebook. That was my main concern. I’ll test my twitch on Sunday and report back.
Tourist

@chrisrb32

At the advice of another user on this forum, I realized you can install Chrome on your phone and use it to request a desktop version of a site.  I've used this to successfully launch the live stream from my mobile device.  So, it's a workaround, albeit not one that saves a lot of time.

For what it's worth, I stream to a facebook business page and have set my page to use a persistent key, so it doesn't need to be renewed for each broadcast.  So, now I have the URL and key saved in my phone so I can just copy/paste it each time I start a stream.  (Also, GoPro are you listening, here's a feature request:  Let the GoPro app *save* the URL and key so we don't have to re-enter it every time.)

Tourist

I had the same idea initially, but it didn't work for me. My mistake was, I guess, that I opened facebook.com/live/create without the "desktop version" option active and got redirected to m.facebook.com/live/create
When you then activate the desktop version option in chrome still the mobile version is displayed...

I can confirm this solution works on both iPhone and iPad. Very good hint!
Tourist

@chrisrb32

You proibably have it figured out now, but you have to manually change the address from "m.facebook.com" to "www.facebook.com".  It's another step in an already needlessly tedious process, but it works.

Tourist

Thank you for all your answers. To be honest the best option is Liv4 app. It costs some 20-30euros, but at least it works the way gopro app should work. When sett up live you can see icons, and you can choose whether you want to live stream to your personal profile or to one of your pages. I understand that with gopro app also possible go live to facebook page, if "I chagnge rmpt" "if I change some stuff" but the point is: I'm a basic user, with a basic knowledge, I dont want to change nothing. What I want is go live to facebook page with 2-3 clicks.  liv4 app works this way, gopro doesnt. Maybe later they will refresh the app.

Tourist

I agree with you that the Live4 App is what GoPro should have integrated into their app at least 2 years ago. The usability of the Live4 App is way much better for people with less technical knowledge and more importantly allows streaming with GoPro models without native streaming capabilities.

If you have a Hero 7 Black however the technical approach from Live4 is inferior the native solution. This is because they are using the preview stream that the GoPro sends via Wifi to the smartphone, re-encode it and send it to Facebook via LTE. Because of this the image quality is limited to the maximum resolution and bitrate that is specified for the preview stream. The re-encoding on the phone adds latency and you always rely on your smartphone and it's data connection.

GoPros native solution in the Hero 7 Black allows you to use a wifi hotspot with a dedicated sim card and the RTMP stream is directly encoded in the camera, which to me appears to be the cleaner implementation.

Highlighted
Tourist

Dear Chris, thanks for your answer. As I wrote before, I have basic knowlodge, however it is clear from your message that using Live4 app with gopro7 will result a live stream with less quality. So it would be better to use the native Gopro app for streaming to my facebook page.

BUT! I havent found a clear description about the settings for this basic knowledge users like me. ( I havent got a clue what is "rmpt", and what is LTE, Im only a gopro lover, who bought this camera becuase of hypersmooth and because of promised "simple live streaming". I dont know other users knoweldge, but if I have to set 234533 thing before going live, I will not choose gopro. I will choose my phone or for example Live 4. Please if you have a clear, and basic description, send me. Csaba

Hiker

@chrisrb32 wrote:

Hi all,

I have been just as disappointed like most of you that the GoPro App doesn't allow streaming to Pages and Groups natively.

Over the last couple of years, I've developed and experimented with different solutions for livestreaming from GoPros.

As I'm doing Motorsports my main purpose is to stream from the race track to the Pitlane, which is why I call my livestreaming projects "Pitstream".

I have now developed a small Web App that allow you to retreive the RTMP Link for streaming to Facebook Groups or Pages, that works in any browser, also on smartphones, which is what was mostly requested in this thread ( @lynkspyder@photogromer @mariustanya ).

Here you can see how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRX4X-aJ8NE

Since I have not submitted the App to the Fecebook App Review process yet, it can only be used by invited testers until then.

If anyone is intrested in testing, just drop me a PM.

I still hope GoPro will implement this feature natively in the future, as there are certain functions that are restricted in the Facebook Live API for normal users/small app developers that might not apply for the GoPro App Developers.

Best

Chris

I would love to join the test panel.

Interesting that we are 11 pages and some months further and the only reply from GoPro is a workaround. Better would be to inform us why it isn't t possible (maybe due to Facebook policy or the harder programming) so at least we know why. That saves a lot of people '' losing faith'' if you will.