Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black - live stream to Facebook PAGE

[ New ]
UPDATE: I did finally figure out that you can, in fact, use the device with the GoPro app as the wifi hotspot. I don't know if I was doing something wrong before, but I was just able to make it happen now. When on the 'set up live' page, there's a drop down menu for the wifi network. One option on that menu is 'turn on personal hotspot' (notice, this will appear even if your hotpsot is already turned on). Tapping this option will take your phone to its settings page (on an iPhone, at least), at which point you have to go BACK to the GoPro app, open the network drop down menu again, and wait a few seconds for the hotspot to appear in the list. Again, this step is necessary even if your hotspot was already on you made no changes on the iPhone settings page after being taken there by the GoPro app.
Tourist

[ New ]

Hello everyone

problem solved, by doing several tests

I managed to make a live facebook on my personal account with the choice FACEBOOK

I managed to do a live youtube with RTMP that I was able to share on my facebook page (instead facebook just place a thumbnail for live youtube)

Finally I made a live facebook on my page thanks to the RTMP (url server page and page key) against cons it requires a computer to connect to my facebook page to validate the broadcast.
to get back the server and facebook page go into publishing tool then studio creator then direct live choose your page and facebook will give you your codes that you will place in your app gopro in direct mode with the choice rtmp, attention copy server url and cle key next to no space

it is validated so we can make a live on his facebook page, but the manipulation is very technical, can be an update to simplify would be welcome

Hiker

[ New ]

@lasko wrote:

Hello everyone

problem solved, by doing several tests

I managed to make a live facebook on my personal account with the choice FACEBOOK

I managed to do a live youtube with RTMP that I was able to share on my facebook page (instead facebook just place a thumbnail for live youtube)

Finally I made a live facebook on my page thanks to the RTMP (url server page and page key) against cons it requires a computer to connect to my facebook page to validate the broadcast.
to get back the server and facebook page go into publishing tool then studio creator then direct live choose your page and facebook will give you your codes that you will place in your app gopro in direct mode with the choice rtmp, attention copy server url and cle key next to no space

it is validated so we can make a live on his facebook page, but the manipulation is very technical, can be an update to simplify would be welcome

It is also important to note that while it may be possible as you mentioned (I have not tested and will not), requiring a hotspot is a show stopper for us.  I have (as do our customers that have communicated with us) unlimited data, but not unlimited hotspot data.  Requiring hotspot data means we will not use it.  The Mevo device uses our regular data and therefore do not need to worry about overages when we are in the field.  Untils this and other issues are addressed, the Mevo Plus is the device we use and recommend to our customers for livestreaming their games.

UPDATE: This is intended to be a reply to the previous post about streaming to the same device connected to the GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]
You don’t need a hotspot, you can use the hotspot on your phone. I have a hotspot for ours but I have tested with my iPhone and that works as well.
Hiker

[ New ]

@bolddive3043 wrote:
You don’t need a hotspot, you can use the hotspot on your phone. I have a hotspot for ours but I have tested with my iPhone and that works as well.

Agreed.  I'm not saying an external hotspot.  I'm saying that my carrier limits my hotspot data on my phone.  It does not limit my standard data.  Mevo uses my standard data and GoPro requires hotspot.

Tourist

[ New ]

Ah, I see.  To me this is an advantage.  I have a mobile hotspot, which by the way is an amazing setup on my LynkSpyder with the extra mount i purchased.  It's literally perfect at this point other than not being able to publish direct to our teams page.  Anyway I like that i can walk to the backstop and kick everything off and keep my phone in my pocket and even power it off if i want or use it for gamechanger or whatever.  Once the feed is live streaming, it doesn't need the phone anymore, just the hotspot connection.  Maybe GoPro could add the option to use the App to stream the data like Mevo does, but I would hate if they forced it to be that way!

Tourist

[ New ]

Is GoPro working on an Update to be able to stream Live to FB Business pages?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @toughshore10,

We're not sure yet but all suggestions and feedback is collected so that we can submit them. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Nomad

[ New ]
@toughshore1,

You can stream to business pages, you just need to access the desktop version of Facebook and generate the rtmp url/key and paste that into the gopro live page in the app.
Tourist

[ New ]

You can stream to your business page with LIVE4 app. Available for iOS and Android.

Check this out: https://live4.io/

Tourist

[ New ]
I can confirm LIVE4 works a treat. A small cost to stream to a business page but worth it
Tourist

[ New ]
It didn't work with my Hero7 Black. It wouldn't even connect to my camera.
Tourist

[ New ]
Hmmmm bit odd, worked perfect on my hero 5 black
Tourist

[ New ]

LIVE4 team working on support for Hero 7.

At this time you can use cameras, mentioned in the app description:

"Camera Compatibility:
HERO6 Black
HERO (2018)
HERO5 Black
HERO5 Session
HERO4 Session
HERO4 Black
HERO4 Silver
HERO+
HERO3+ Black Edition
HERO3+ Silver Edition
HERO3: Black Edition
HERO3: Silver Edition
HERO3: White Edition"

Tourist

[ New ]
Sounds like a simple code GoPro could include in a software update.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I too just purchased the GoPro 7 for the express purpose of using to FB live stream videos for one of the business pages I manage.  I was disappointed tonight when I started messing with it to realize it could only stream to my personal FB account.  Please GoPro developers in your next update include the option to choose to stream to managed pages.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @robertb65260

We do not have specific information on this, but this has been shared to the team in charge.

Please continue to check out website for updates.

Software Update Release Information

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok, so I have been playing around and I think found the issue. When I connect to the GoPros WiFi the connection is istant and everything works great till you try to go live. Obviously the GoPros WiFi has no internet connection so once I connect to my phone's WiFi hotspot the GoPros WiFi is dropped and everything just hangs and times out. My phone allows for my internet to be shared via hot spot and over Bluetooth connection. I have tried to connect live with Bluetooth internet sharing on and off with zero difference. I also have master reset the GoPro and reinstalled the app a few times. It seems the initial set up of the livestream works though it take a while to connect and the delay is pretty substantial vs the Facebook live on there own app. I also noted that renaming the GoPro might be an issue as when I look for the GoPros WiFi it is always the GoPro original name not the changed name. I tried not renaming the GoPro after a reset but the reset name is different than the orinal name that hasn't changed. Perhaps this is way trying to live times out? The network names are mismatched? Getting this livestream to work and run correctly would be a game changer! Currently it is a royal pain in the.... Easier connection, saving hotspot/network connection settings and greatly reduced delay are needed.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kouc52

If you choose a Wi-Fi connection for live streaming, the connection to your camera will switch to Bluetooth.

If you continue to get issues when live streaming, ensure that you have the camera and the app on the latest version.

Uninstalling/reinstalling the Facebook app also helps.

Regarding the connection name, once the Wi-Fi name is changed, your phone(through Settings) should also detect/pick up the same Wi-Fi name.

You may be referring to the Bluetooth ID as it will stay the same.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

EJ,

Thank for the Intel. I ment to hop back on and post about how I got the system up and running. 

If I connect the camera normally to the phone via bluetooth connection only and make all the correct settings -

720, 60fps

scroll over and set up the live settings throught he cell phone app (I use Android).

Now and only now turn on the phones Hot Spot WiFi,

*****Note - if you trun on your hotspot prior to seeting up everything via bluetooth you will lose your connection to the phone, you will get repeated error messages because the WIFI connection times out (just hangs, searching).*****

Select your phones hotspot WIFI and make sure you have at least 3 bars 4g LTE or the connection stutters or loses connect all togeather.

*****Note if you lose your connection due to low WIFI bandwidth/connection you will have to turn off your Hotspot WIFI, exit out of live on your app and start all over again by connecting to your gopro via bluetooth***** (FYI GoPro huge pain in the ass)

Other issues, Facebook live on the Facebook app has zero lag or delay in HD,  the GoPro live has about a 30sec delay. I think 0 to 5 sec is an accepable so the delay is a too much.

Live settings done save last used setting or allow for perrered connection settings to be saved. This would be a great feature your coding staff should be able to code up quickly for a future update. 

WIFI over bluetooth would be a great idea to look at if the connection speeds are fast enough.

Personally as a motovlogger I would like to be able to set up my GoPro, Connect to my phone, click a button and be live. I think a great majority of GoPro users would perfer this. 

The abity to connect an external microphone with a water resistant/Proof connection wether it be by 3.5mm jack or Type C connection with out the need of an adapter is something GoPro should invest time engineering into future models. 

Final note, Battery. HUGE battery drain when live 30 to 45 min tops. This includes the cell phone as even with my cell phone plugged into a charger it will lose charge at a very accelerated rate with the hotspot on and brodcasting live! Luckily, I have 5 GoPro batteries and a 3 port charger at home. Battery life is much overdue improvement... call up Elon Musk I am sure he can help with a better Tesla style battery. ;-)

After all this, still love my GoPro! It is awesome! 

Jay

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kouc52

Thank you for sharing these feedback and suggestions.

We will have this forwarded to the team in charge,

You may check this link for information on the latest updates: Software Update Release Information

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello! Is any solutions to live to facebook page topic? Thats why I bought my gopro. So what I need: just go live to FACEBOOK FAN PAGE instead of personal page in one or two clicks. 

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

You can use the RTMP instructions at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/getting-started-with-live-streaming to stream to a Facebook page. Here are the specifics:

1. Choose your live streaming platform​.
Follow their instructions to create an RTMP URL. The setup will vary by platform.

Example: YouTube

- Enable live streaming on your YouTube account. (*​Can take up to 24 hrs​) - Select Live Streaming, then go to Encoder Setup.
- Create an RTMP URL by combining Server URL + Stream Key.

2.​ ​Open the GoPro app.
Make sure your HERO7 Black is paired and tap ​LIVE ​in preview mode. Then tap

the Facebook icon to change platforms and select ​Other.
3. Paste your URL in the required field.
4.​ Tap ​Go Live ​or press the Shutter button to start streaming.

Hiker

[ New ]

@jefft wrote:

You can use the RTMP instructions at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/getting-started-with-live-streaming to stream to a Facebook page. Here are the specifics:

1. Choose your live streaming platform​.
Follow their instructions to create an RTMP URL. The setup will vary by platform.

Example: YouTube

- Enable live streaming on your YouTube account. (*​Can take up to 24 hrs​) - Select Live Streaming, then go to Encoder Setup.
- Create an RTMP URL by combining Server URL + Stream Key.

2.​ ​Open the GoPro app.
Make sure your HERO7 Black is paired and tap ​LIVE ​in preview mode. Then tap

the Facebook icon to change platforms and select ​Other.
3. Paste your URL in the required field.
4.​ Tap ​Go Live ​or press the Shutter button to start streaming.

Jeff,

Thank you for your response and a defined process.  However, if you look back through the posts, what the group is looking for is a 1 step process.  Using your method (which was discussed early on in this thread) is usable, but not practical; specifically when out in the field using a smartphone.  Mevo does this very well.  So it is certainly doable.

Thanks,

Josh Greer, Owner
LynkSpyder - Chain Link Fence Sports Camera Mount
Baseball * Softball * Tennis * Pickleball
www.LynkSpyder.com
www.facebook.com/lynkspyder
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all,

I have been just as disappointed like most of you that the GoPro App doesn't allow streaming to Pages and Groups natively.

Over the last couple of years, I've developed and experimented with different solutions for livestreaming from GoPros.

As I'm doing Motorsports my main purpose is to stream from the race track to the Pitlane, which is why I call my livestreaming projects "Pitstream".

I have now developed a small Web App that allow you to retreive the RTMP Link for streaming to Facebook Groups or Pages, that works in any browser, also on smartphones, which is what was mostly requested in this thread ( @lynkspyder@photogromer @mariustanya ).

Here you can see how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRX4X-aJ8NE

Since I have not submitted the App to the Fecebook App Review process yet, it can only be used by invited testers until then.

If anyone is intrested in testing, just drop me a PM.

I still hope GoPro will implement this feature natively in the future, as there are certain functions that are restricted in the Facebook Live API for normal users/small app developers that might not apply for the GoPro App Developers.

Best

Chris

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing @chrisrb32

We'll have this forwarded to the team in charge.

Please continue to check our website for updates. Software Update Release Information

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

It gives you the option for the server url. but not your unique stream key. so it just fails

Tourist

[ New ]

so i figured it out

you have to combine the server url and the key. 

ie.

for facebook business pages example:

server url: rtmp://live-api-s.facebook.com:80/rtmp/

server key: 449829282218760?s_ps=1&s_sw=0&s_vt=api-s&a=Abye_2NrofN4Omm4

so they need to be combined with "/" seperating them, like below

rtmp://live-api-s.facebook.com:80/rtmp/449829282218760?s_ps=1&s_sw=0&s_vt=api-s&a=Abye_2NrofN4Omm4

on the gopro app this is what it should be pasted into the url area. i tested and confirmed it works.

GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate you sharing this @bruhstep

We'll take note of this step.

Has anyone tried this on their end?

Let's see if other users can confirm this.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006

There is is no new information in the posts from @bruhstep.

This exact same information was already posted by lynkspyder and photogromer on page 2 of this thread on ‎10-04-2018 08:09 PM, almost three months ago:

It's mentioned above, the process works for pages too. This is the only work around currently and you have to do it from a computer. 

"We too are disappointed that it is not natively configured to accommodate FaceBook Groups. But, using RTMP is an option. When you are on Facebook and click "Go Live" you will see 2 tabs at the top: Camera and Connections. Click the Connections tab to get to the RTMP page. Check the checkbox to use persistent stream key. Then copy the Server URL as well as he persistent stream key. I send this to my device via email so I can copy and paste it into the GoPro app. Then from the GoPro app, Go to the Live section and click on the FaceBook icon. Then select "Other" or "RTMP" (I have seen it different ways on different devices). Paste the RTMP URL in this format: rtmp://URL/PERSISTENTKEY
Click start live session on your GoPro. This will feed a stream session to FaceBook, but you will not be live until you click the button in FaceBook to start the live session.

But yea, native group support in the App would be just a touch easier."

The dialog from Facebook to generate the Server URL and Stream Key can be found in post options for pages and groups or by this direct link: https://www.facebook.com/live/create

So yes this process works and has been verified already. The dialog can only be opened on computers and not on smartphones or tablets however.

To actually stream to Facebook Pages or Groups with a Hero 7 Black you have to follow these steps:

1. You need a Laptop/PC/Windows-Tablet to open the dialog for retreiving the RTMP Link.

2. You have to send that link to your smartphone with the GoPro App on it.

3. There you have to use the fetched link to configure the RTMP stream manually and start streaming using a mobile hotspot or WiFi.

4. Once the GoPro is streaming you have to go back to the Laptop/PC to actually publish your live event, which can only be done after facebook has received a video signal from the GoPro.

Especially when being outdoors (which is likely when using a GoPro), this process is a real pain...

This is the reason why I wrote my app to eliminate the necessity of having to use a Laptop.

I can open my Pitstream webapp in the safari browser on my iPhone, fetch the RTMP links in seconds, paste it into the GoPro app and Go Live. I also eliminated step 4, so my Live stream is automatically published once Facebook receives a signal from the GoPro.

All the information your developers need is publicly available here:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/graph-api/reference/live-video/

Feel free to have a look at my source code:

https://github.com/chrisrb32/Pitstream-Live

Tourist

[ New ]
I can only confirm it worked with my business page on Facebook. That was my main concern. I’ll test my twitch on Sunday and report back.
Tourist

[ New ]

@chrisrb32

At the advice of another user on this forum, I realized you can install Chrome on your phone and use it to request a desktop version of a site.  I've used this to successfully launch the live stream from my mobile device.  So, it's a workaround, albeit not one that saves a lot of time.

For what it's worth, I stream to a facebook business page and have set my page to use a persistent key, so it doesn't need to be renewed for each broadcast.  So, now I have the URL and key saved in my phone so I can just copy/paste it each time I start a stream.  (Also, GoPro are you listening, here's a feature request:  Let the GoPro app *save* the URL and key so we don't have to re-enter it every time.)

Tourist

[ New ]
I had the same idea initially, but it didn't work for me. My mistake was, I guess, that I opened facebook.com/live/create without the "desktop version" option active and got redirected to m.facebook.com/live/create
When you then activate the desktop version option in chrome still the mobile version is displayed...

I can confirm this solution works on both iPhone and iPad. Very good hint!
Tourist

[ New ]

@chrisrb32

You proibably have it figured out now, but you have to manually change the address from "m.facebook.com" to "www.facebook.com".  It's another step in an already needlessly tedious process, but it works.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you for all your answers. To be honest the best option is Liv4 app. It costs some 20-30euros, but at least it works the way gopro app should work. When sett up live you can see icons, and you can choose whether you want to live stream to your personal profile or to one of your pages. I understand that with gopro app also possible go live to facebook page, if "I chagnge rmpt" "if I change some stuff" but the point is: I'm a basic user, with a basic knowledge, I dont want to change nothing. What I want is go live to facebook page with 2-3 clicks.  liv4 app works this way, gopro doesnt. Maybe later they will refresh the app.

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree with you that the Live4 App is what GoPro should have integrated into their app at least 2 years ago. The usability of the Live4 App is way much better for people with less technical knowledge and more importantly allows streaming with GoPro models without native streaming capabilities.

If you have a Hero 7 Black however the technical approach from Live4 is inferior the native solution. This is because they are using the preview stream that the GoPro sends via Wifi to the smartphone, re-encode it and send it to Facebook via LTE. Because of this the image quality is limited to the maximum resolution and bitrate that is specified for the preview stream. The re-encoding on the phone adds latency and you always rely on your smartphone and it's data connection.

GoPros native solution in the Hero 7 Black allows you to use a wifi hotspot with a dedicated sim card and the RTMP stream is directly encoded in the camera, which to me appears to be the cleaner implementation.

Tourist

[ New ]

Dear Chris, thanks for your answer. As I wrote before, I have basic knowlodge, however it is clear from your message that using Live4 app with gopro7 will result a live stream with less quality. So it would be better to use the native Gopro app for streaming to my facebook page.

BUT! I havent found a clear description about the settings for this basic knowledge users like me. ( I havent got a clue what is "rmpt", and what is LTE, Im only a gopro lover, who bought this camera becuase of hypersmooth and because of promised "simple live streaming". I dont know other users knoweldge, but if I have to set 234533 thing before going live, I will not choose gopro. I will choose my phone or for example Live 4. Please if you have a clear, and basic description, send me. Csaba

Hiker

[ New ]

@chrisrb32 wrote:

Hi all,

I have been just as disappointed like most of you that the GoPro App doesn't allow streaming to Pages and Groups natively.

Over the last couple of years, I've developed and experimented with different solutions for livestreaming from GoPros.

As I'm doing Motorsports my main purpose is to stream from the race track to the Pitlane, which is why I call my livestreaming projects "Pitstream".

I have now developed a small Web App that allow you to retreive the RTMP Link for streaming to Facebook Groups or Pages, that works in any browser, also on smartphones, which is what was mostly requested in this thread ( @lynkspyder@photogromer @mariustanya ).

Here you can see how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRX4X-aJ8NE

Since I have not submitted the App to the Fecebook App Review process yet, it can only be used by invited testers until then.

If anyone is intrested in testing, just drop me a PM.

I still hope GoPro will implement this feature natively in the future, as there are certain functions that are restricted in the Facebook Live API for normal users/small app developers that might not apply for the GoPro App Developers.

Best

Chris

I would love to join the test panel.

Interesting that we are 11 pages and some months further and the only reply from GoPro is a workaround. Better would be to inform us why it isn't t possible (maybe due to Facebook policy or the harder programming) so at least we know why. That saves a lot of people '' losing faith'' if you will.

Explorer

[ New ]
@musiqman
That's just not how this community support site works. The Mods try to avoid jumping in as much as possible. This is not where GoPro makes or releases any official statements. The purpose of this support site is meant to by a member to member support and discussion site.

In general, announcements are made
here https://gopro.com/news
here https://investor.gopro.com/overview/default.aspx
and on the GoPro Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter Feeds.

Feedback for GoPro should be left here https://gopro.com/feedback
And for direct 1:1 Customer Support, here https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Tourist

[ New ]

Is anyone else having an orientation issue with their GoPro when streaming live?

I have my camera mounted upside on a roll bar.  The image looks fine on the camera display, but for whatever reason it streams the video upside down to facebook.

Anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

All the orientation settings seem to just be for locking the display settings and have nothing to do with the actual video itself. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @deputydog95,

For facebook the default orientation will be landscape.

Portrait mode is not yet available. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Sightseer

[ New ]
Amen