Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero 7 Black - live stream to Facebook PAGE

You can use the RTMP instructions at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/getting-started-with-live-streaming to stream to a Facebook page. Here are the specifics:

1. Choose your live streaming platform​.
Follow their instructions to create an RTMP URL. The setup will vary by platform.

Example: YouTube

- Enable live streaming on your YouTube account. (*​Can take up to 24 hrs​) - Select Live Streaming, then go to Encoder Setup.
- Create an RTMP URL by combining Server URL + Stream Key.

2.​ ​Open the GoPro app.
Make sure your HERO7 Black is paired and tap ​LIVE ​in preview mode. Then tap

the Facebook icon to change platforms and select ​Other.
3. Paste your URL in the required field.
4.​ Tap ​Go Live ​or press the Shutter button to start streaming.

Hiker

@jefft wrote:

You can use the RTMP instructions at https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/getting-started-with-live-streaming to stream to a Facebook page. Here are the specifics:

1. Choose your live streaming platform​.
Follow their instructions to create an RTMP URL. The setup will vary by platform.

Example: YouTube

- Enable live streaming on your YouTube account. (*​Can take up to 24 hrs​) - Select Live Streaming, then go to Encoder Setup.
- Create an RTMP URL by combining Server URL + Stream Key.

2.​ ​Open the GoPro app.
Make sure your HERO7 Black is paired and tap ​LIVE ​in preview mode. Then tap

the Facebook icon to change platforms and select ​Other.
3. Paste your URL in the required field.
4.​ Tap ​Go Live ​or press the Shutter button to start streaming.

Jeff,

Thank you for your response and a defined process.  However, if you look back through the posts, what the group is looking for is a 1 step process.  Using your method (which was discussed early on in this thread) is usable, but not practical; specifically when out in the field using a smartphone.  Mevo does this very well.  So it is certainly doable.

Thanks,

Josh Greer, Owner
LynkSpyder - Chain Link Fence Sports Camera Mount
Baseball * Softball * Tennis * Pickleball
www.LynkSpyder.com
www.facebook.com/lynkspyder
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi all,

I have been just as disappointed like most of you that the GoPro App doesn't allow streaming to Pages and Groups natively.

Over the last couple of years, I've developed and experimented with different solutions for livestreaming from GoPros.

As I'm doing Motorsports my main purpose is to stream from the race track to the Pitlane, which is why I call my livestreaming projects "Pitstream".

I have now developed a small Web App that allow you to retreive the RTMP Link for streaming to Facebook Groups or Pages, that works in any browser, also on smartphones, which is what was mostly requested in this thread ( @lynkspyder@photogromer @mariustanya ).

Here you can see how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRX4X-aJ8NE

Since I have not submitted the App to the Fecebook App Review process yet, it can only be used by invited testers until then.

If anyone is intrested in testing, just drop me a PM.

I still hope GoPro will implement this feature natively in the future, as there are certain functions that are restricted in the Facebook Live API for normal users/small app developers that might not apply for the GoPro App Developers.

Best

Chris

Uploaded by CROMEX www.cromex.org on 2018-12-25.
GoPro

Thank you for sharing @chrisrb32

We'll have this forwarded to the team in charge.

Please continue to check our website for updates. Software Update Release Information

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

It gives you the option for the server url. but not your unique stream key. so it just fails

Tourist

so i figured it out

you have to combine the server url and the key. 

ie.

for facebook business pages example:

server url: rtmp://live-api-s.facebook.com:80/rtmp/

server key: 449829282218760?s_ps=1&s_sw=0&s_vt=api-s&a=Abye_2NrofN4Omm4

so they need to be combined with "/" seperating them, like below

rtmp://live-api-s.facebook.com:80/rtmp/449829282218760?s_ps=1&s_sw=0&s_vt=api-s&a=Abye_2NrofN4Omm4

on the gopro app this is what it should be pasted into the url area. i tested and confirmed it works.

GoPro

We appreciate you sharing this @bruhstep

We'll take note of this step.

Has anyone tried this on their end?

Let's see if other users can confirm this.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

@aragon1006

There is is no new information in the posts from @bruhstep.

This exact same information was already posted by lynkspyder and photogromer on page 2 of this thread on ‎10-04-2018 08:09 PM, almost three months ago:

It's mentioned above, the process works for pages too. This is the only work around currently and you have to do it from a computer. 

"We too are disappointed that it is not natively configured to accommodate FaceBook Groups. But, using RTMP is an option. When you are on Facebook and click "Go Live" you will see 2 tabs at the top: Camera and Connections. Click the Connections tab to get to the RTMP page. Check the checkbox to use persistent stream key. Then copy the Server URL as well as he persistent stream key. I send this to my device via email so I can copy and paste it into the GoPro app. Then from the GoPro app, Go to the Live section and click on the FaceBook icon. Then select "Other" or "RTMP" (I have seen it different ways on different devices). Paste the RTMP URL in this format: rtmp://URL/PERSISTENTKEY
Click start live session on your GoPro. This will feed a stream session to FaceBook, but you will not be live until you click the button in FaceBook to start the live session.

But yea, native group support in the App would be just a touch easier."

The dialog from Facebook to generate the Server URL and Stream Key can be found in post options for pages and groups or by this direct link: https://www.facebook.com/live/create

So yes this process works and has been verified already. The dialog can only be opened on computers and not on smartphones or tablets however.

To actually stream to Facebook Pages or Groups with a Hero 7 Black you have to follow these steps:

1. You need a Laptop/PC/Windows-Tablet to open the dialog for retreiving the RTMP Link.

2. You have to send that link to your smartphone with the GoPro App on it.

3. There you have to use the fetched link to configure the RTMP stream manually and start streaming using a mobile hotspot or WiFi.

4. Once the GoPro is streaming you have to go back to the Laptop/PC to actually publish your live event, which can only be done after facebook has received a video signal from the GoPro.

Especially when being outdoors (which is likely when using a GoPro), this process is a real pain...

This is the reason why I wrote my app to eliminate the necessity of having to use a Laptop.

I can open my Pitstream webapp in the safari browser on my iPhone, fetch the RTMP links in seconds, paste it into the GoPro app and Go Live. I also eliminated step 4, so my Live stream is automatically published once Facebook receives a signal from the GoPro.

All the information your developers need is publicly available here:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/graph-api/reference/live-video/

Feel free to have a look at my source code:

https://github.com/chrisrb32/Pitstream-Live