Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 7 Black keeps turning on by itself

I got my Hero 7 Black on the 17th of July, 2019. I was messing with it and trying to figure it out. I am a first time GoPro user by the way and have high expectations and am excited to use it and edit it footage with my phone/laptop. I woke up on the 18th and decided to mess with it some more and when I decided to shut it off a few seconds later it would power on by itself. I did what other forums stated and videos on YouTube. I would turn off certain settings such as the voice settings and I would shut the GoPro app itself off, turn off the automatic upload just incase that was the issue. I even factory reset the camera. I took the battery out and put it back in to see if that would do anything. Nothing. I had hope because for a few uses it did fine, but then connecting it to the app it would start back up with powering on by itself until I finally just took the battery out. I would do that and put the battery back in and plug the charger and it would power back on once it was charging. My laptop is running too old of software for Quik. When I dowloaded the update to manually update it the file would appear in the folder as an image instead of any other type of file. I tried to update it with the GoPro app and it doesn't do anything. Please help. I don't want to feel like I wasted hundreds of dollars and something useless.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black keeps turning on by itself

Hi @ponceevan,

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your camera. This isn't the kind of experience we want you to have. Reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the manual update instructions specified in this article: Software Update Instructions for HERO7 Cameras

Additionally, to consistently achieve the best results with your GoPro camera it is important to select microSD cards that are known to work well with the model you have.  We recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through official resellers. Check this article to see our list of the most up-to-date GoPro recommended microSD cards.

If the issue persists, despite going through the suggestions above, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Kind Regards,
Ann

Highlighted
Tourist

I have tried to do the manual update, but I am currently unable to get a computer/laptop that has the software needed to run the update. I can't use Quik on my laptop. I tried to download the file and transfer it to my SD card, but that failed. I purchased the SD cards through your own accessories section.

Highlighted
GoPro

Let us know how it goes once you have tried the manual update. @ponceevan

You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs   

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

Hi, I just manually updateded my hero 7 a few mins ago. It still has the problem that's mentioned above even after the manual update. However, I can manage to make it stay off by turning off the wireless connection via the camera prefs. Otherwise, the camera just turns itself on a few seconds after I turn it off, draining the battery in the process.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I uninstalled the app on my android phone.  Restarted my phone and the camera stops turning on its own now.

The app is probably the cause - sending either wifi or bluetooth signals to the camera to turn on for some reason.

I can live without the app on my phone until they fix it.  Otherwise, awesome camera!

Highlighted
Tourist

I've narrowed it down to Bluetooth. If I turn off BT, the camera will not turn on. This is a serious software flaw that needs to be addressed ASAP.
Highlighted
Tourist

Just signed up to post a response here - you need to turn off "Auto Offload" in the app (you don't need to uninstall it). I thought this feature would be helpful as the task of getting images off the device and into a cloud (a non-GoPro cloud without a PC) shouldn't take 3 stages (download to "app", save to phone, upload to my own cloud (Onedrive)). I just wanted to have my new clips automatically transferred to the app (or my device preferalbly), turned it on the night before only to find my battery half dead the next day - all because the app keeps waking the thing up.

From a UX perspective I would call this a bug, especially in 2019. But I can live with the compromise (i.e. plugging the device into my PC and transferring files like it's 1999).

Screenshot_20191208-150611_GoPro.jpg