Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hero 7 Black freezing

Gopro hero 7 black, manual upgrade to 1.70 firmware, using an approved card, trying to shoot 1080 video at 60fps.

Three minutes and 12 seconds into my shoot, it froze. The screen froze. The camera stopped recording. The camera became unfunctional and required me to remove the battery to force it to reboot. I was shooting indoors, in a perfectly comfortable temperature.

I had similar problems with another Hero 7 Black and returned it for a replacement.

I've seen enough of this freezing reported on this board that it looks like a problem with the camera.

My questions -

Is this something that can be repaired with a firmware upgrade? 

Could this happen with every Hero 7 Black they've made, or is it a select few?

Shall I keep trying to return these until I get one that works?

I love the camera. When it works, it's incredible. It looks good, and the stabilization is remarkable.

However, if I can't count on it to work, it's useless.

I'm a video professional, and I need equipment I can count on. It completely failed for me today, and I'm livid.

Gopro... please let us know that this is a problem you're aware of and working on. Don't keep us in the dark.

Thanks.

-Mark

Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing

Same problem here

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @Anonymous,

Please try to update your firmware again manually.

If you have a spare SD card we can confirm that. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Jay...

You guys are sounding like broken records.

I upgraded it manually, and I have an approved brand new card.

I have a work camera and a personal camera. This is my work camera.

I was using the GoPro as a third camera, on a cooking demonstration with a famous chef, when the camera froze up 3 minutes into the shot. Dependability is a must. Are you going to tell people they'll need to jump out of a plane again, or go back up the zip line to get the shot when their camera fails?

My personal camera was freezing quite a lot. Performing a manual upgrade did nothing. Buying a new card did nothing but take $20 out of my bank account. I sent it back for a return, and just got the new camera today.

It arrived with version 1.0 of the firmware, so I performed an update to 1.7 - MANUALLY to be sure! And gave it a test. WIthin a few minutes it froze up. 

I pulled the battery and put it back and I've had it running in the background while I work and it hasn't frozen again, but I have little faith in it.

This makes 3 cameras out of three that have had problems.

I'm befuddled. How common is this problem? 

Highlighted
Tourist

Same here...

Chat and phone support is always busy.

The camera freezes so often that I've tried for almost half an hour to do update.

In this condition the camera is worthless.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @chuckschnorris,

May I know the time zone you're following or country. 

I would suggest to contact them on United States working hours.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

On our website. Try to change the language and country to United States. It's located on upper right hand corner of the screen. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Jay,

I'm from Germany. 

I would like to contact the support in German. 

regards,

chuckschnorris

Highlighted
Tourist

The freezing issue is there with both GoPro 6 and GoPro 7. Rather than rectifying the issue, GoPro support gives stupid reasons like update card, upgrade firmware. It does absolutely nothing.

Although the camera offers good quality, it's the worst action camera in the market as far as reliability and dependability goes.

Shame on GoPro for launching 7 without rectfying the 6 first. Same they will do with 8 as well. Let customers suffer with a pathetic camera which freezes as per its own whims.

And once you remove the battery, the file repairing starts on next turn on, it ruined my shoot as the stupid third grade camera was froze the video and only recorded audio.