Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing, crashing, unexpected behavior

[ Edited ]

Same issue here - GoPro Hero 7 Black crashed after taking 15 pictures in photo time lapse mode. It completely shut down and also wasn’t discoverable on Bluetooth anymore. This of course happed during a once of a lifetime flight, with the camera installed on the outside of our plane, so that I couldn’t restart it. Smiley Mad

I had it set to one photo every 2 seconds, upside down (it for some reason didn’t detect the upside down installation automatically), wide, everything else standard / automatic. I used a 128 GB card recommended by GoPro. Battery was full, only about 200 photos on the card.

The other thing is, that GoPro for some reason dropped the simultaneous video + photo mode. Seriously? My fault that I didn’t check before I bought it, as I somehow assumed that GoPro would certainly keep such a key feature.

Many of our trips are difficult / impossible to repeat, I therefore need a reliable action camera. I’ll sleep on it for a few nights but will probably return it. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @swiftsand227

What is the brand/type of the SD card you are using?

Does the same happen when shooting on a different mode? Or a different setup?

Have you tried re-flashing the software? https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Though the Video+Photo option is not available on the HERO7 cameras, you may still grab photos from a video. Check out this article.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

SanDisk extreme plus and SanDisk extreme pro does it in 2,7 k and also in 1080
Highlighted
Tourist

Yes I have done all updates and reset the camera several times
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @dowde

Please reach out to our Support Team to move forward with this concern.

Let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken so far.

You may contact them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @aragon1006  , thank you for your reponse.

I am using a SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA Micro SD card, which is listed as fully compatible with the GoPro 7 Black: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

At a rate of only one picture every two seconds, I however find it hard to believe that the SD card coud have caused this problem.

Also, why would the camera completely shut down, if the SD card is too slow? 

The failure in the time lapse mode is so far the only time the camera failed, but then again I haven't used it much yet.

I have the latest firmware installed.

Considering the high prices of these cameras and that they are typically used for activities that might be hard / impossible to repeat, I would GoPro expect to do all the required R&D to make a quality product and to not leave the testing up to the customer.

Highlighted
Hiker

Highlighted
Tourist

Me too.

I take up to 50.000 pictures a day for Mapillary.

It seems worse in the morning.