Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing, crashing, unexpected behavior

[ Edited ]

Hey there, Welcome to the suck! 

Isn't it a great feeling to blow $400 on a total turd?! 

I get my replacement tomorrow, they're sending me a second battery too. This has been a nightmare.

GoPro, you guys better fix this for everyone. Figure it out, because that $400 times God knows how many people... This is especially because of the whole bait-and-switch behind the card approvals. Formal list says all of these high-class cards are recommended, then I am told they're unstable after purchase? Seriously what is that? 

I don't want anyone to read this and think, who is this guy, why does her think he's special... No, we are on the same side. We are the consumers who paid really good money for a totally bogus product. 

I still can't believe that NOBODY from corporate has reached out to me over this, after making a big stink here. At the end of the day, I just want the **bleep** camera that was paid for, and I want it to work as advertised. IF my replacement is showing issues, I am filing claims with the BBB and every single organization that I have time for, in great detail. There is so much "Superior product by superior marketing" going on here it's not even funny.

Yes, I am mad as hell about this, and everyone else should be too! >:(

Highlighted
Hiker

I just sent in another scathing feedback message with my contact info attached. Maybe that one will get someones attention. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone,

Ok few things. I just received my replacement, have to use the old battery for now until the second one gets here, fine, whatever I use external power the whole time anyways.

Secondly, I know I didn't respond to everyone directly. I haven't had time or didn't notice until now. To address a few things, I realize that some of you were commenting on others' posts/comments, but I have check out everything that you guys mentioned already or I wouldn't be on here throwing an absolute **bleep** fit.

I have used multiple cards, high density, low density, single bit per unit, 2 per block, I only have the more expensive cards. At least, the cards I DO have that are large enough to record more than 5 min of video are low density cards, I believe the exception was the 256 gB Samsung I was using. However every single card I used had at least a write speed of 30-40 mB/sec (note the big B for byte, not bit). Also, every card media that I own gets tested, both in logically structured and raw/volume destructive type r/w testing. Everything I still own meets or exceeds it's specifications. If it doesn't meet the OEM specs, it goes back to Amazon (everything I buy these days is Amazon Prime unless I physically cannot buy it somewhere else. The exception being my GP7 Black because I traded in my old hero session, but I digress).

I will update this thread in at least 48 hours, maybe a week. I will update sooner if there are issues.

----------------------------

Now, THE FOLLOWING IS 100% CONJECTURE, so I don't want to hear it from anyone. Put on your tin foil hats for this theory;

I suspect it is possible that GoPro or one of it's contractors/affiliates have created/received/distributed a hardware OR software module that has critical issues, and they (ANY entity) was not made aware of this critical issue until post production. At which, it's almost more wise for GoPro/affiliate to just keep mum on the issue. Think about it, if the issue is persistent, they quietly fix the issue on new hardware/software, hope that some folks' cameras aren't affect or the issue doesn't cause concern for some people, and quietly accept RMAs without much question. It would be incredibly costly and damaging for them to issue a platform wide recall RIGHT before Xmas/whatever religious gift giving holiday you celebrate. However, it's almost just as suicidal for the company to do nothing, but if they replace units without question, the given consumers are put some of their time, but ultimately receive a product that functions as advertised.

Call me nutty, but the amount of other people I'm finding online complaining of near catastrophic failures of the initial batch of these cameras leads me to believe that some form of upper management level obfuscation is occurring in hopes that the consumer, et al, will be too stupid to figure it out, albeit powerless to really do anything about it anyways as an individual.

The TL;DR of this is, it's possible there's a bad egg of a component in the first batches of the platform/model/submodel, it's too late to do anything about it, so they're letting it run silently, replacing the bad units, hoping there aren't TOO many bad units, and fixing the issue on the current/future batches.

Not impossible, maybe not super likely, but I have seen this with mainstream products multiple times. Since nobody's safety or health is at risk, there's no need for the company to proverbially shoot themselves in the foot issuing a mass recall.

All said and done, I just hope this replacement isn't a turd. 

I am so disappointed. I used to recommend GoPro's to everyone, used them professionally when I was a data acquisition engineer for an Indycar team ON TRACK, and so many other positive image stuff.

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm thinking about sending my back for a replacement AFTER Christmas, or Newy Year's so there's a higher chance that they've already fixed the initial issues.

Highlighted
Hiker

Yeah, the later the better sometimes. The completely silent and swift acceptance of my RMA still made me feel like they were expecting this... Or it's just possible that they have a customer-is-always-right approach in training and policy now. The cs reps I spoke to the phone were polite, relatively helpful, pretty much couldn't do anything to really make up for the issues I experienced beyond a standard RMA service. I did get to keep my first battery, but I suspect there was something wrong with it due to the temps, one way or a other by either causality, so this isn't exactly a bonus. I'm currently running the new camera on that battery while I'm waiting for a new one to arrive that they promised me.

The new camera was mostly ok so far, only recorded maybe 45 minutes worth of stuff. It froze twice, but it didn't last very long and didn't require a hard reset. It's possible that the design is very very dependent on asic quality of the core, leaving much to be desired as far as QC failed CPUs, etc along that line. Something seems different about this camera for sure, but I can't yet place it. A bad batch of almost any SMD components could cause critical failures if the specifications needed by the design is more narrow than the tolerance of manufacturing for a given component. Been there, managed that, not fun and everything is basically a roulette spin quality wise.

We will probably never know unless this remains a severe enough issue to land in a public court. What is one conventional wisdom for maintaining consumer confidence may well go against conventional wisdom for maintaining a profit margin. As I said before, mass recalls have mixed results for a company, and nobody's life is at risk here. ....Unless you start seeing fragmentation explosions from fully charged and well overheated lithium ion packs. Who knows for sure right now??
Highlighted
Tourist

I'm having same issues as you as well running 1.61, screen showing some negative colors and then the whole camera freezes and hang, have to keep restarting my camera to shoot it. I'm trying to downgrade to 1.51 to see if it's working
Highlighted
Nomad

[ Edited ]

VERY few GoPros are actually DOA or bad.

GoPro has a "we want you stoked" strategy so they will send you another camera. 

But often those are just returns from somebody else, factory reset.

Combined with the knowledged gained along the way, the person hopefully get his situation sorted. 

But you can save a ton of time if you get what I am saying here.  

I mean we have people here with days upon days, threads on 5 pages all over trying to app-update.   

Some are on their 10th session of the update effort via app. 

Whereas a manual update is duck simple, factory reset too.   

Highlighted
Hiker

Ok, new camera, same **bleep** issues

All equipment tested again and again. For the new folks, please read the entire thread before commenting.

After I am done eating, I will begin the process of filing consumer complaints at every available agency in the United States, including the BBB.
I encourage all of you to do the same.

We we're advertised a device that works without issues for long term recording. More than half of the time, I experience these extreme interruptions while using manufacturer recommended equipment. The device consistently and predictably overheats, even when used in extremely low ambient temperatures. High resolution recording causes issues faster than low resolution recording, for reference. Nobody has reached out to me, I have had to RMA the camera once and that was of my own accord.

At this point, I have to assume that a company has provided a non-working product to a large volume of customers under false pretenses and misleading advertising. I need to look around, but I will try to find representation that works consumer cases pro bono. I strongly believe that this is an issue of poor design, engineering and lack of testing. I know for a fact that if I personally was in charge of quality control or engineering, I would say that this product does not deliver anywhere close to what's promised. I mean, I have <$100 GoPro clones that run way better than this.

I will update this thread as I proceed through consumer affairs.

If anyone from GoPro corporate is reading this, contact me directly. We need to solve these issues. This is absolutely unacceptable to have a $400 camera with less than 40% reliability when used as directed with OEM recommended storage devices (removable storage that has also be thoroughly tested on an individual basis by an experiences hardware engineer to verify there are no issues with each card).

I do have the free time to work with consumer services to bring the light upon this. Let's figure it out.

Please, anyone and everyone, back up this thread data and post your negative experience.