Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing, crashing, unexpected behavior

[ New ]

Got my 2 replacement Hero 7 Black cameras yesterday and ended up sending them right back. They both had wear marks on the lens cover. I guess I got someone else's returned cameras. Another 3 weeks of waiting for the replacements. Once again... I got conflicting information from GoPro concerning the replacement cameras (are they new cameras like they tell me on the phone OR are they repaired cameras from the refurb center like they tell me on the chat). Also, I was told two different things when it comes to shipping. One says they'll expedite my replacements and one says they NEVER expedite replacement cameras. Which is it GoPro? Why do I get different answers depending on whether I'm chatting or whether I'm talking on the phone? What's going on at GoPro??

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi there, I feel like I'm in the same situation as you but not as highly qualified or with the approved SD card. I have a SanDIsk Pixtor 64 GB microsSD card. For my GoPro, I have the 1.7 update and I've restted my gopro and I still have similar issues such as yours. Has GoPro resolved your issue? If so what's the resolution? By the way, I have an older microSD card and I've tried testing out my gopro by removing the card and just basically using it as a live camera and guess what?! It freezes! When I thought it was the SD card, now I'm sure it isn't. Does GoPro have any resolution?

Tourist

[ New ]
If you just bought it and can return it for refund do it immediately.
Explorer

[ New ]

@grandstar18637 

You may need to get an exchange.  Using a recommended SD card and installing the manual update may help (even if you are on the latest firmware), but if it doesn't, either exchange where you purchased or contact the GoPro Support Team.  Although it's easy to see the post here and think that this is a rampant issue, it isn't.  Most people do not have this issue.  I, for example, purchased three HERO7 Black cameras and only one had freezing issues, but only when using a particular card.  Once I stopped using that card, I haven't had any issues.  Yes, there are frustrated/angry people on this post, and I do feel sorry for them, but you should first try replacing the camera (and of course using a recommended SD card and performing a manual update).

Manual Update

Recommended SD cards

GoPro Support Team

Nomad

[ New ]

@markd2563   I bought one of them from GoPro directly. I did the trade up program. I tried to do a refund but gopro told me that I would lose the $100 that they credited me for my trade in. And they were NOT able to just send my trade up camera back to me. So I would have been minus $100. SO NOT RIGHT. The other camera I bought at REI. I wish I would have just dealt with REI on that one camera. Too late now. GoPro has both of them. Still waiting on the SECOND set of replacement cameras. SO FRUSTRATING.

Explorer

[ New ]

@tj311 

It's spelled out in the Trade Up program agreement:

"Trade-in transactions are final; after you trade in your Eligible Used Device, you cannot get it back. Upon GoPro’s physical receipt of the Eligible Used Device and processing of the full payment for the Eligible New Devices by GoPro, title and ownership in the Eligible Used Device transfers to GoPro and you disclaim any further right, title or interest in and to the Eligible Used Device or any items (including without limitation memory cards) or data contained therein."  

You agreed to this when you sent your old camera in for Trade Up.

Additionally, while GoPro usually does send out brand new replacements, they make no promises to do so in the warranty agreement, which you agreed to by keeping the camera past the return period.  They do test the cameras before sending them out, so even a new camera will have some usage.  However, if stock is low, then I'm sure they have to go to return/refurb cameras to be able to get replacements out in a reasonable time.  The only thing GoPro is responsible for is, "GoPro's sole obligation in the event of such defects during this period is to repair or replace the defective part or product with a comparable part or product at GoPro's sole discretion."

Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15
As far as sending out USED / REFURBISHED cameras as a replacement to a BRAND NEW camera... that's wrong when you specifically TELL your customer that BRAND NEW cameras are coming. Don't send me a camera full of scratches and a power button that's so far pushed in that it doesn't work. That's just WRONG!

Explorer

[ New ]
I don't send you anything. I don't tell you it's a brand new camera. I am not GoPro or an employee of GoPro. I have had replacements sent out to me in the past. I have received new cameras. I have read program details before engaging in them. I have read warranty information. I do pay attention to find print. I do own and use many GoPro cameras and accessories. I do think the HERO7 is by far the best action camera GoPro has ever made. I have used and tried competitors like Garmin, Yi, and DJI. I have also engaged those companies customer service. I do feel that GoPro not only makes the best Action Camera, they also day surpass the other companies in customer service. I don't throw temper tantrums on public community web pages. That's just WRONG! 😉
Hiker

[ New ]
Danielr15, if you don’t work for them a close friend or family member does.
Tourist

[ New ]

@weisserb wrote:
Danielr15, if you don’t work for them a close friend or family member does.

don't say this as the shill will fall over themselves to call you a troll.

Tourist

[ New ]
Lol at the person that ignores pages of pathetic customer service then claims they have good customer service and that it's our fault for not reading the "find print".
Tourist

[ New ]
Don't know about yi customer service every one I have bought is flawless no matter what SD card .My hero 7 is flat out unreliable period .did not waste my time on accessories for it bought a extra battery at purchase .
Made the mistake if just taking it to events .Will not do that again I can just take my Yi to a event . But if I go to a event with my hero 7 I have to bring my Yi also do to free up .So way bother bringing it at all .
Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15 Look..... I wasn't referring to YOU specifically when I was commenting. I was just reiterating what I thought when speaking about gopro support. And I'm not asking YOU for your opinion on MY issues with gopro. You love their cameras... that's great. They work flawlessly for you??? If so, that's great too. I love my gopro .... when it's not shut down from overheating. If not for that.... it's an amazing camera. I'm posting to this forum in hopes that GOPRO will read it. There's no tantrum here. It's just plain crappy customer service when you (meaning me) can't even get a straight answer. I get the runaround . Like right now..... I shipped my 2 hero 7 black cameras back on June 10th. (for the second time - because the replacements they sent me were USED - with damage to one of the power buttons) Not a peep out of gopro. I called today, 15 days later and they tell me that the fulfillment provider "went down" on the 17th and no cameras have been sent out since then. WHAT?? What do you (gopro) mean WENT DOWN?? So here it is almost 5 weeks that I've been without my cameras. I think I have a right to be ticked off.
Explorer

[ New ]
You, meaning you, are posting in a community support site. GoPro Support you are already in contact with, so I assume you know that this is not the place to reach GoPro. Yes, sometimes moderators (who's job it is to moderate this member to member support forum) do comment. However, the two avenues of reaching GoPro and expressing your frustrations, which I understand you are experiencing, are to the GoPro Support Team and via the feedback form. https://gopro.com/en/us/feedback

Best of luck!
Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15 it's a GREAT place to reach gopro. I've gotten more reliable info from the gopro moderators in this forum than I have on chat, that's for sure. Like I said, I'm not asking you for advice. Just explaining my situation and hoping to see if there are other folks that are having the same problems that I'm having. It certainly helps to narrow down whether I just got bad camera or if there is some sort of design issue. Obviously..... I'm not alone.
Explorer

[ New ]
@tj311
Right, you want to see if others are having the same issue. By my reply that I am not helps to identify that it's not a systemic problem with all cameras. Your complaints about the trade up program or your exchange cameras were widely off tilt. I was merely pointing out that the terms were clearly laid out and that you agreed to them by participating in the program.

Plenty of people have made comments about me and my post. Although I have absolutely no affiliation with GoPro, including not having any friends or family members working for GoPro, it's their prerogative to do so. I'm not asking for their opinion, but they are free to give it. I chose not to respond to those post, however, I am choosing to respond to yours. Again, my choice, as it is yours to respond or not to my post. Either way, you can feel that you are right and I can have the opinion that some of your positions and presentations are wrong. Not all, but some.

However, it's my opinion and I can share it, whether you are explicitly asking for it or not. By participating in this forum, you are agreeing to receive opposing views. You don't have to respond to my post, but you are free to if you wish. Just as I am free to respond to yours.
Hiker

[ New ]

These battery drains are getting worse. I use my Hero 7 every day and at the beginning in October it drained my battery while turned off about once a week. I got a replacement camera in November with the same issue. Now in June my Gopro drains the battery 2 to 3 times a week. Is it getting worse for anyboody else here, too?

I have to remember to eject and reinsert the battery after every shot to avoid the drainage and  the camera getting hot.

Nomad

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15 Do you have any info concerning the GoPro news about moving production from China to Mexico? It appears that GoPro is right in the middle of that move and perhaps this is why they have NO cameras to fulfill warranty replacements and NEW ORDERS.
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing

[ New ]

I have two GoPro 7 blacks and have the same issue on both. Different freezing points. During filming and just when turned on it freezes .

I am not new to GoPro and have been using them since the Hero. I have went through each model now up to the 7. I do not understand 

why GoPro has not responded to this issue as they must be aware to the seriousness of the problem. I know about SD cards and what I need also about batteries..

@spiryridge28656 wrote:

Tried with multiple other APPROVED cards, resulting in different failures, almost exclusively behaving as if I removed the power source from the camera 1/4 of the time. Flashed firmware one more time for sanity's sake. Honestly, I would open it up and hard flash the EEPROM outside of the user shell, but obviously that'd be bad for the warranty, even though I have credentials. (Just.... frustrating.)

I'm really disappointed overall with this thing. What a waste of money. It will not run stably with proper cards (From hardware, to volume alignment, partition parameters, everything is correct), within the operating tempuratures anywhere, with or without external power, under a variety of framerates/resolutions/encodings, it doesn't matter. It's all correct by the book, and yet this thing keeps shutting down like it's runnning into processor die level thermistor failsafe. 

It'd be really nice if someone from the company replied, and please do not bother if you did not read the post in its entirety.

Thanks.

I am an underwater cinematographer and use the gopro on top of my main housings. When they freeze while in the water it is impossible to open it and take out the battery to rebot the unit. We need help here Gopro people!!!!! Talk to us please..

Explorer

[ New ]
@tj311
I have no personal knowledge. Just what has been publicly announced.
Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15 They've known about this move since last year. I don't understand how GoPro could run out of cameras.
Tourist

[ New ]

What happened to GoPro? They are out of cameras?

Nomad

[ New ]

Just an update for anyone interested. I contacted GoPro this morning to get an update. The update I got is that there is no update. They are still in an "OUTAGE". So frustrating.

Nomad

[ New ]

Today's update:

Joy:I can see here that the return status is still pending and that is very strange. 

Me:it's been pending for several weeks

Joy:Let me further check it.

Joy:Thank you for waiting.

Joy:What I have done is created a ticket for me to coordinate with our warehouse team to get an update about this. Really apologize for the delay. please wait for my email update once they responded to me.

Me: I've heard this same answer numerous times and haven't gotten any info from anyone

Joy:I totally understand you there, due to system outage before, we are not able to see any details of the returns and orders. Now that the system is fixed, our warehouse team will be able to further check what happened to your return.

Me:thanks. have a good day

Joy:You are most welcome. Thank you for understanding.

Me:I don't. But that's ok

Joy:I will keep you posted via email.

Tourist

[ New ]

I chatted with GoPro Support yesterday and all they gave me back was a 25% discount on a new camera, If I was to purchase, and sent me the same old same o same o about the SD card, Update instructions and bla bla bla.. Bro it isnt working I have two Gopro 7 Blks and both have the same issue. !!!

I have been buying and using GoPros since the Hero going through all the models since.. I just dont  understand why they refuse to face this issue or fix it. OR SOMETHING!!!

Nomad

[ New ]

Today's update "looks" promising. I hope it's the truth:

Thanks for holding, Tracy.

Upon checking here the replacement cameras are now scheduled for pickup.

Once our courier shipped out the item, then an automated email will be sent to you with the tracking number provided.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I can concur. I brought my Hero 7 and am using it on my vacation. It's been nothing but problems. I'm sure professional videographers can get fine results. But I don't have a pc with editing software. The go pro app and quick are absolute garbage and unstable. It doesn't auto upload to the cloud and there is no option in the app to prompt it to do so and the video output quality from quick grainy, choppy and low rez. The camera itself behaves eradically and the voice controls almost never work. Extremely disappointed with my experience.
Explorer

[ New ]
You need to go into the settings of the Quik app to allow for high resolution video.
Tourist

[ New ]

hello.

I updated to the 1.80 firmware on my hero7 black.

But unfortunately there are still many bugs.

Especialy when i use external battery: the camera is restarting often and cannot start

time to time.

I still cannot use the quickcapture mode (with external battery but without all looks fine).

It really looks for me like if the tests are done by amators.

I tried also to read some movies from the camera to an external 4k screen but

it looks to be a joke: very very slow just displaying the icons of the movies, then

once displaying the movie, the cross button is working time to time... but often not:

you just cannot go out of the video to go back to the others videos...

I am using this camera onto my helmet in paragliding filming many hours of videos

but the camera restart often, many bugs... I was already quite surprise of some technical

choices done bygopro since my gopro 2 then 3+ : repairing a movie when restarting etc... looks not stable...

But this time it is really the worst stable camera i had... it is my last gopro camera this time.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @spiryrange63110

How was the last update done?

What SD card are you using?

What phone are you using?

Can you try it with a different model to help solate the issue.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

hello,

Thanks for your message.

- The last update 1.80 has been done manualy.

(downloaded the UPDATE folder, put it onto the card

and the camera has been updated successfuly).

- Samsung evo+ 256 Go

- Phone? no phone, it is an external battery I am using:

i tryed Refuel and generic battery.

note: i did long movies (6 hours) but most of the time the 

camera restart or stop like today after half hour.

I know i am not alone in this case, we discussed about that on a french forum.

People who don't use external camera and perhaps 4k don't have this problem

for sure.

But i just want to do nice movies in 4k during several hours

using external battery but it is not working.

Using QuickCapture is worse, I cannot use it with external battery.

The navigation problem is not occuring onto a phone but directly onto the screen (camera

connected to 4k screen using hdmi cable)

Regards,

Denis.

GoPro

[ New ]

Appreciate you going through the recommended steps, @spiryrange63110. Since the issue persists, it would be best to engage our Support team at this time. This way, they will be able to walk you through additional, necessary steps. You may reach the team by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . When you do, please make sure you have access to the camera. You may also direct them to this thread for reference. 

Explorer

[ New ]
@spiryrange63110
Evo+ or Evo Plus
You wrote Evo+ and if this is the case, you are using the wrong SD card.
Hiker

[ New ]

I just had another battery drain with hot camera on firmware 1.80. So it's still not fixed. I'm going on vacation next month and I need a reliable camera. It's just a matter of time when I will throw that stupid thing against a wall. So - recommendations? Sony? DJI?

Hiker

[ New ]

OMG, it happened after a recharge again! So far it's gotten worse for me with the update. As I wrote shortly before the update came out: I'm pretty sure it just contains some cosmetic changes.

Guess I have to use my Hero 4 on vacation and donate the crappy 7 to the hydraulic press youtube channel.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi  danielr15, Cette carte est très rapide (plus de 90 Mo/s et est exactement une de celle recommandée par le site Gopro dans leur tableau). 

This card is very fast (more than 90MB per second ans is the one recommanded in their spreadsheet from the GoPro website.

Cordialement,

Denis Gallego

Explorer

[ New ]
So, it is not an EVO+, correct?
Tourist

[ New ]

mariustanya,

Désolé mais votre message me fait penser à un défilement: j'ai exposé le (les) problèmes de façon pourtant très claire je n'ai rien d'autre à ajouter ni par téléphone ni par chat. Mais visiblement ces problèmes ne vous interressent pas.

Le problème de menu dont je parle est anecdotique et est plus là pour montrer le manque de sérieux de tests du software.

Concernant le principal problème: prenez une caméra Hero7 Black en mode 4K60img/s protune, branchez-la sur une batterie externe, et 

essayez d'utiliser le mode QuickCapture (par exemple).

Vous ne mettrez pas longtemps à reproduire le problème.

Je suis ingénieur informatique et fait du montage sérieux en 4K, je n'ai pas de souci pariculier à maniper: ces caméras ont de sérieux problèmes lorsqu'on veut les exploiter. Mais sans doute l'utilisation basique de 90% des utilisateurs qui manifestement n'ont pas besoin de baterie externe (étonnant!) et abandonnant le plus souvent leur camera dans un tiroir est satisfaisant ?

Personnellement j'ai besoin de filmer pendant plusieurs heures et pouvoir compter sur un bon fonctionnement.

Malheureusement ce n'est pas le cas. Je viens de faire retour arrière de la 1.80 à la 1.70 car je viens de faire un tout petit vol de 35 minutes et parapente et je n'ai malheureusement pas pu filmer tout le vol, la caméra s'étant figée: je m'en suis apperçu à l'atterrissage.

De beaux moments perdus.

Salutations

Denis

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello Bompelbob,

Je suis également revenu à la version 1.70 qui me semble plus stable lors d'une utilisation "sérieuse" à l'aide d'une batterie externe.

Quand je dis sérieuse, c'est tout relatif... même en 1.70 mode QuickCapture qui ne fonctionne pas, des redemarrage et des freeze, mais j'ai l'impression forte que la 1.80 agrave le problème.

C'est vraiment très triste.

Une fois de plus, je suis ingénieur en informatique, je fais des montages en 4K qui necessitent quelques connaissances, et je sais maniper et me faire une opinion.

De très très loin la Hero7 me pose beaucoup plus de problèmes que mes precedentes caméra hero2 et Hero3+ qui n'étaient déjà pas parfaites en terme de robustesse (infaillibilité à l'enregistrement).

Mais là on est dans le record, terminé pour moi GoPro.

Cordialement,

Denis

Explorer

[ New ]
And you are NOT using an EVO+, correct?
Tourist

[ New ]

Danielr15: c'est une 256Go "Evo Plus" XC I  U3

J'en ai 2, j'ai essayé égalemet des 128 Go très rapides.

Tourist

[ New ]

Je viens de lire les reflexions absurdes sur les types de cartes "+" et "plus" et je comprends mieux la question.

Alors oui c'est bien une "Plus" très rapide, celle recommandée par Gopro.

Inutile de se cacher derrière les éléments externe, le simple fait que vous acceptiez le fait que la caméra se crashe si la carte n'est pas assez rapide est très surprenant pour moi:

Que des erreurs d'écritures apparaissent en cas de lenteur de la carte pourquoi pas, mais que vous acceptiez un crash... Il faut passer à un autre métier et faire developper ça sérieusement.

Il n'y a AUCUNE raison de faire planter la caméra, mémoire saturée ou pas.

Mais bon avec ce que j'ai lu, je n'ai pas d'espoir que ce sera corrigé un jour, c'est mal parti...

Vive la concurrence...

Hiker

[ New ]

As I write these lines, the camera is hot again - the third time in one day!!! This is absolutely ridiculous! With 1.7 it was only once a week. Where can I find old firmware versions?

Hiker

[ New ]

Quick update: I'm back to 1.70 now. Even shortly before I wanted to perform the manual update the cam was stuck again. The fourth time.

Since the Gopro Hero I was a big fan, even had to of them. Hero 4 still is a great camera. But with Hero 7 I've had it. This piece of crap is my last Gopro. Bye!

Tourist

[ New ]

I've been following this conversation every since I posted about the same subject many months ago. It's apparent to me that GoPro either doesn't know what to do, or doesn't care to expend the time, effort and money to resolve it once and for all.

Tourist

[ New ]
I’m on vacation in Turkey and I also experienced a lot of issues. I will check all stuff later when I’m back home.
One of the strange issues I had was when I turned of camera and plugged it for night charging. In the morning the camera had around 50-60 degrees Celsius around the lens. It charged only to 90% over night.
Freezing is quite common. Even when I don’t record anything it freezes. Then you can’t start recording. It’s crazy. Such much money spend. I can understand failed SD card but why it freezes in preview mode? Right after powering up. It was not overheating as it was cooled by the water in swimming pool. Can you imagine better cooling? It was not in cover. Just camera carefully closed, gaskets checked.
Also the camera has 3 bad pixels shining full white all the time on the right and upper right corner. WTF?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @volkhen

If a camera is freezing up, it is usually an indicator the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. Try removing the SD card and see if the camera still freezes up. If it no longer freezes, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card. Here's some information on SD card recommendations.

Also, make sure that the camera's software is up to date.

It will be best to update the camera manually. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
19 pages of problems that are definitely not the Hero 7 Black's fault. The common denominator is clearly thousands of high quality sd cards that work fine in other high bandwidth devices.
Tourist

[ New ]

Come on Ej. Is that all you've got. Quit blowing smoke up people rear ends and take some responsibility. The Hero 7 Black is a huge failure for GoPro. We know it and you know it. Why not come up with a real soultion and quit dancing around the issue.