Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing, crashing, unexpected behavior

Quick update: I'm back to 1.70 now. Even shortly before I wanted to perform the manual update the cam was stuck again. The fourth time.

Since the Gopro Hero I was a big fan, even had to of them. Hero 4 still is a great camera. But with Hero 7 I've had it. This piece of crap is my last Gopro. Bye!

Tourist

[ Edited ]

I've been following this conversation every since I posted about the same subject many months ago. It's apparent to me that GoPro either doesn't know what to do, or doesn't care to expend the time, effort and money to resolve it once and for all.

Tourist

I’m on vacation in Turkey and I also experienced a lot of issues. I will check all stuff later when I’m back home.
One of the strange issues I had was when I turned of camera and plugged it for night charging. In the morning the camera had around 50-60 degrees Celsius around the lens. It charged only to 90% over night.
Freezing is quite common. Even when I don’t record anything it freezes. Then you can’t start recording. It’s crazy. Such much money spend. I can understand failed SD card but why it freezes in preview mode? Right after powering up. It was not overheating as it was cooled by the water in swimming pool. Can you imagine better cooling? It was not in cover. Just camera carefully closed, gaskets checked.
Also the camera has 3 bad pixels shining full white all the time on the right and upper right corner. WTF?
GoPro

Hi @volkhen

If a camera is freezing up, it is usually an indicator the camera's software needs to be updated or there is potentially an issue with the microSD being used. Try removing the SD card and see if the camera still freezes up. If it no longer freezes, then the issue is likely stemming from the SD card. Here's some information on SD card recommendations.

Also, make sure that the camera's software is up to date.

It will be best to update the camera manually. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

19 pages of problems that are definitely not the Hero 7 Black's fault. The common denominator is clearly thousands of high quality sd cards that work fine in other high bandwidth devices.
Tourist

Come on Ej. Is that all you've got. Quit blowing smoke up people rear ends and take some responsibility. The Hero 7 Black is a huge failure for GoPro. We know it and you know it. Why not come up with a real soultion and quit dancing around the issue.

Tourist

Hi @aragon1006,

Yes, I know, I read all 19 pages. I have firmware just 1 revision old 1.7 so it’s not that old. I don’t understand why people don’t recommend doing update by app. What’s the difference? I doubt it’s done without checking the checksum anyway so there should be no difference.
Also I discovered that I don’t need to take out battery. If I hold power button for about 10s and release it the camera starts to work normal again. I’m not sure if it’s doing anything or it’s just how long it freezes but I did it about 10-15 times and it always worked.
Explorer

Buddy and I just got done surfing with out HERO7 Blacks. As always, no issues. I did have that time months ago when I was using a crappy SanDisk Extreme v30, but luckily I identified the problem card and no longer use it. No issues since. Considering I use my camera 3-4 times a week, I think I've certainly given it plenty of opportunities to give be issues.