Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing, crashing, unexpected behavior

Keep us posted on this.  I think that I may go down the same path.

Highlighted
Nomad

GoPro support chat tech got back with me via email. Here is the reply they sent to me:

We thank you for taking the time of sending video with us. Based on the video, it seems that you have taken a video which is expose to the sun and while connecting to the external charger. There is no wrong of using camera underneath the sun however, this is regards on the use of external charger that is not recommended for us to do. I would like to inform you that using camera while connecting to external charger is not advisable do.The reason why the camera keeps on heating is due to over use of the camera. As we can consider that camera is like our phone that heats when we use it while charging. 

What kind of tech support is that??? Once again, they gave me conflicting information (based on what they had told me earler the same day). What in the world is going on at GoPro?  After getting this email, I proceeded to call and asked to speak to a manager. I was never connected to a manager. The support person immediately issued an RMA for both of my Hero 7 Blacks to be sent back. I was assured that I would NOT be receiving any refurbished replacements, but they will be new cameras. I don't have much faith in that they will work as advertised, but we'll see. In the meantime, I don't have my cameras (that I use for work) for 2 weeks. Huge inconvenience, but they only worked "sometimes" so guess I'm not missing much. I'm hoping that maybe there could possibly have been a hardware change between the very first cameras that were produced and the ones that are being produced now. Maybe they've made a change somewhere? 

In the meantime, I bought a DJI Osmo Action specifically so I could use it outside, on sunny days, with external battery power. GUESS WHAT?? It ran for 5 hours (I don't record the entire time - I record when there is action - but the cameras remain turned on and waiting) without any random shut downs and NO OVERHEAT issues. It ran perfectly and it was connected to external battery the entire time. The DJI camera has a heat vent on the front of the case. And yes... it's still waterproof to 11 meters.

FWIW.... I've owned every GoPro since the Hero HD and this hero 7 is the most unreliable ever. I don't want to jump the GoPro ship, I want GoPro to step up and put out a reliable camera and not try to b.s. the customers who are having issues. Stop giving me the runaround please. Customer support seems to have really taken a nose dive.

Highlighted
Hiker

Keep updating on how the osmo action performs. I’ve been debating going that route.

Last weekend I had some luck keeping the 7 running while on external power by pulling the battery. Only problem is when the rain hits, you have to pull the plug and reinstall the battery to keep videoing.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @tj311. Thank you for sharing and apologies for the inconvenience, and the confusion. The information on using an external charger or power source for the camera is not quite complete. The camera should continue working even when connected to an external power source. The use of external power source is recommended for extended recordings or shoots as the camera battery can only provide up to about 1.5 hours of continuous use depending on the resolution used. See HERO7 Battery Information .

Some users share that removing the battery helps prevent any further increase in temperature due to the camera's operation. The battery does not get charged anyway when the camera is recording as noted here

In addition, the GoPro camera could overheat and then shut down after a period of time while recording and while connected to an external power source. This has been found to occur when the camera is connected to a power source with an amperage rating that is too high. There is a current limiter in the camera so using a charger that is greater than what the necessary current is will not damage the camera.  The external power source that we support should be 5 Volts & 1-2 Amps. As much as possible, use the charging cable that came with the camera package as it has been fully tested to support the camera. Caution must be taken though with a setup involving cameras and external power source as this exposes the charging ports to dirt, dust and water

Other instances that the camera may be too hot while in operation are detailed in this article Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures . There are tips as well on how to improve camera performance that are included. 

We are communicating with Support regarding this matter. We're always looking to our customers to help shape the direction of our products and services, so we appreciate your feedback. 

Highlighted
Nomad

@mariustanya I totally understand what you're telling me. The problem is.... seems that GoPro support staff are constantly contradicting each other. I really felt that the tech support person was giving me the runaround and just wanted to get me off of the chat session. So inconsistent.
Highlighted
Nomad

So far.... rock solid. I have been using it for 2 weeks as a replacement camera for the gopro I had to send back. I don't have my replacement hero 7s back yet. They told me that it could be 2 weeks still. They got my 2 cameras last week. I don't understand why it takes so long since they're just replacing them.
Highlighted
Nomad

@mariustanya why does it take 2 weeks to send out my 2 replacement cameras? GoPro received my cameras last week.
Highlighted
Explorer

@tj311 

Hows the GPS, TimeWarp, 2.7K/120fps, stabilization in 4:3, 1080p/120fps stabilization, voice commands and wake to voice in English (U.S.), English (U.K.), English (Australian), English (India), French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish (EU), Spanish (N.A.), Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, SuperView, Bluetooth > Wi-Fi connection, Vanity mirror (I mean front display) that has 1-2 second delay and condensation issues, Auto scene detect and underwater color correction, Auto Cloud uploading, Auto Quik Story creation, and no-lag display when stabilized?  All Rock Solid? Smiley LOL