Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing, crashing, unexpected behavior

[ New ]
Ummm, no. It wasn't.
Tourist

[ New ]

Same issues here 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have tried many sd cards running sandisk extrene pro and still issues camera is unreliable .

They need to sub  out the firmware  to someone to many issues  . The cameras i have replaced my other gopros with the firmware is bulletproof and the cameras are half the money i spent on this camera .The 7 black is the only camera in the gopro line up that can beat my other cameras  and that is in hypersmooth stabilization only .  But satbilization is very good on my other cam also .looks like i am walking away again 

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah, same here. I don't plan on buying any GP ever again

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same here. First time GoPro buyer. Bought the Hero 7 Black I think in Nov. 2018 specifically for a Feb. 2019 trip to Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea including using for diving, so extremely low use (less that 2 hours probably) before using it in French Polynesia.

Upon purchasing it back in Nov., I ran latest firware update and the VERY first time using it just walking the dog around the neighborhood while filming to "try it out", noticed it "locked up" or "froze" multiple times. Each time had to pull the battery out and reinsert and camera would work normally once again for a period of time before freezing up once again. I didn't think too much of it at first and hoped was just temporary hiccups.

During trip to French Polynesia was using FOUR different MicroSD cards purchased at different times and from different retailers, that are EXACT matches for "supported" cards on GoPros own web site... 64GB SanDisk Extreme PLUS microSDHC UHS-I (UHS3 / V30 / A1) modal SDSQXBG-032G-GN6MA.

During the trip only just a few weeks ago, the camera was CONSTANTLY freezing up on me both when just in standby mode as well as during recording sometimes. It would also freeze up when switching between shooting modes (i.e. from Video to Photo modes or vic versa). MOST of the time I had to pull and reinsert the battery to get it normal again for a period of time. Sometimes, but noticibly less often, holding the Power Button for 10 seconds would clear the issue.

I cannot tell you the outrage I was feeling. This was a once in a life time EXPENSIVE trip. There was no going back to reshoot things later. When Diving I was stressed the whole dive because was in fear the camera would freeze up and ruin any chance of capturing the once in a lifetime moments since I could not exactly pull the battery out while diving at 60 feet.

I was almost exclusively shooting in 4K 60 fps, but also some 2.7 (60fps) and 1080 (120fps). Did not notice any correlation to when it would freeze up. Also, had Protune ALWAYS 'Off', but Low Light set to default 'Auto'.

As a first time GoPro buyer, words could not express how dissappointed I was/am and how unlikley I may be to ever purchase another or recommend to anyone including all FB, Twitter, and Instagram followers UNLESS GoPro steps up and does the right thing by admitting a problem and objectively solving it for those affected for this expensive equipment. 

Since getting back home less than 2 weeks ago, I am only just now finally having a chance to start googling the issue and realizing how widespread this issue seems to be, though ironically enough, I meet a few other GoPro 7 users in French Polynesia while there just within the past couple weeks and asked them if there were expericing any "freezing" issues and sure enough both indicated they were.

Jim

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all. Exactly same problem. Just bought it for my trip in french Alps...during this day it froze...so many times...I knew that because voice control didn't respond...Freezes can be fixed sometimes just by switching off/on....but sometimes the only way was to remove battery...I mess so many greats moments because of it !!!! Damned GoPro find a fix !! You took our money ...Now use it usefully !!!

Tourist

[ New ]
I have the problem with hero 7 black even after changing my camera for a new one
Tourist

[ New ]
I put mine in a drawer and went back to my Yi
Have not used it again since about a month after original post done with GoPro .
Tourist

[ New ]

Explorer

[ New ]
Did you try a different SD card?
Adventurer

[ New ]

Yi did hte same with me back then when the company was deep into firmware fixing.

the sdxc card myst be  cleaned out if not the issues will continue on you'll get freezing, crashes etc.  I thought I did a walk on a boardwalk in  winter and every time I went to use the Yi it crashed. only way the crash stopped was to do a full format, something you can do with the Yi on the spot and not gopro they have two format levels. and that I liked.  

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes all recommend cards . This is not my first rodeo been using gopros since the hero 3+ . Was at a Jeep event and was not the only one there having to pull battery out and put it back in with this model . That was when I said this will be the last time I rely on this camera . My older gp work well just quality and stabilization sucks compared to my YI cams .No more confidence I don't believe there is going to be much of a market left for them if they come up with a new model to much competition out there to release cam with inferior sotware .
Hiker

[ New ]

Very unreliable, everytime coldsweats if my cam did not crap out during a event/game, it is just so unreliable and finnicky. I really regret spending so much money on the GP7 Pro.....

Hiker

[ New ]

Having similar issues with different (but all recomended) cards.  Usually when pressing the record button it will either start recording or restart the camera.  Occasionally it will just turn the camera off.  Throw in the occasional won't start without pulling and reinstalling a battery and it's a crap shoot of whether or not you will get the shot.  I use it mainly for capturing softball games in the same manor I used my Hero 4 black for the last 3 years without issue.  Definitely something going on with this camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue here - GoPro Hero 7 Black crashed after taking 15 pictures in photo time lapse mode. It completely shut down and also wasn’t discoverable on Bluetooth anymore. This of course happed during a once of a lifetime flight, with the camera installed on the outside of our plane, so that I couldn’t restart it. Smiley Mad

I had it set to one photo every 2 seconds, upside down (it for some reason didn’t detect the upside down installation automatically), wide, everything else standard / automatic. I used a 128 GB card recommended by GoPro. Battery was full, only about 200 photos on the card.

The other thing is, that GoPro for some reason dropped the simultaneous video + photo mode. Seriously? My fault that I didn’t check before I bought it, as I somehow assumed that GoPro would certainly keep such a key feature.

Many of our trips are difficult / impossible to repeat, I therefore need a reliable action camera. I’ll sleep on it for a few nights but will probably return it. Smiley Sad

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @swiftsand227

What is the brand/type of the SD card you are using?

Does the same happen when shooting on a different mode? Or a different setup?

Have you tried re-flashing the software? https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Though the Video+Photo option is not available on the HERO7 cameras, you may still grab photos from a video. Check out this article.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
SanDisk extreme plus and SanDisk extreme pro does it in 2,7 k and also in 1080
Tourist

[ New ]
Yes I have done all updates and reset the camera several times
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @dowde

Please reach out to our Support Team to move forward with this concern.

Let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken so far.

You may contact them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006  , thank you for your reponse.

I am using a SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MA Micro SD card, which is listed as fully compatible with the GoPro 7 Black: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

At a rate of only one picture every two seconds, I however find it hard to believe that the SD card coud have caused this problem.

Also, why would the camera completely shut down, if the SD card is too slow? 

The failure in the time lapse mode is so far the only time the camera failed, but then again I haven't used it much yet.

I have the latest firmware installed.

Considering the high prices of these cameras and that they are typically used for activities that might be hard / impossible to repeat, I would GoPro expect to do all the required R&D to make a quality product and to not leave the testing up to the customer.

Hiker

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

Me too.

I take up to 50.000 pictures a day for Mapillary.

It seems worse in the morning.

Tourist

[ New ]

I did a full format of de SD Card on my desktop computer.

Today I took 50.000 pictures while charging it with a USB C data connector.

I had no problem at all.  The camera was even very responsive with its beep  and beep beep beep.

The next days I will take no pictures, at least not so many because it wil be raining.

Let us hope that this solves the problem.

Tourist

[ New ]

After copying the SD files to the desktop computer, I reinserted the SD card in the camera.
At first the beepbeepbeep took time. But that improved after 10 minutes.

Tourist

[ New ]

Some of the replies to this thread are insane. As if it's our fault for trying to use our cameras to do things they are advertised to do.  Besides, it's hard to find "quiet time" when the camera forces me to constantly shout profanity.

If the solution is to use a 64g card to record 4k video, then it's a flawed product.

If the solution is to not record long video, but it will allow you to record long video, it is a flawed product.

If the solution is to actively keep it from overheating, then it should not be marketed as an action cam, for it is a flawed product.

I had a 3 year old dash cam from VanTrue recording next to it in the exact same conditions using the exact same memory card and it performed beautifully.  I even swapped and formatted the cards so they'd both have a shot.

The GoPro Hero 7 Black is absolute crap.  My brother also had one, but it was stolen by a shark in the first 15 minutes of using it.  I envy him, as he doesn't have the burden of trying to make use of or RMA a total turd lump.

Hiker

[ New ]

Great idea, I am going to contact the BBB too. 

I traded in two working cameras (hero 4 black), paid the $600, bought a bunch of their accessories for the new camera format, and have been paying for the Plus membership.  

Garbage... 

Freezing using recommended Sandisk cards (bought form GoPro), lost my son's graduation ceremony due to the freezing (had it on a tripod up in the front).

Dumping my GoPro stock, I have already lost a ton on it, it is only going to get worse because of GoPro camera problems and the new DJI coming out.

Hiker

[ New ]
This is exactally how I feel.
Tourist

[ New ]

yeah im embarrassed to own a gopro and tell everyone i meet, how crap they are.

today my 7 black decided to not turn back on until i had to pull it out of its frame, take the battery out then put it back in.

if you have a chance and haven't bought accessories for it, then take it back for a refund.

i use it on my bicycle as a safety measure and i just hope the faults don't come at a time its needed.

shame on you gopro!

welcome to gopro hell!

Nomad

[ New ]

Might as well add my 2 cents on this thread. I've been using GoPros since the Hero HD. I've owned them all and all have been good up until the 7. I have two Hero 7 Black cameras and they both do the exact same things..... Randomly freeze - have to do a battery pull to get them turned back on. This isn't exactly convenient since I'm on a kayak out in the river. Both cameras also overheat and shut down when using an external battery power. Keep in mind that I'm NOT continously recording. I'm doing multiple short recordings of 5 -10 minutes length. Then I stop the recording, but leave the cameras turned on for the next bit of action that might come up. I use them both paired to a single GoPro Smart Remote so that they start simultaneously. One camera is on external battery and the other camera is chest mounted with  just the internal battery (this camera also uses external audio mic). I'm recording in 1080/60 with stabilization on (I've tried with it turned off and I still have the issues). GPS is OFF, Pro Tune is OFF.

Yes... I did firmware updates, yes I did hard reset, yes I'm using approved SD Cards (even downsized from 128 GB to 64 GB - no difference). I've done everything they suggested.

I contacted GoPro support shortly after I received the cameras and got the run around. No resolution. Well... summer is approaching and our temps are heating up outside. Guess what.... both of the cameras are experiencing even MORE freezes / shut downs. I contacted GoPro support again yesterday and once again, got no resolution. At first, the tech tried to tell me that GoPro WAS NOT MEANT to be used with external battery power. He told me it will damage the gopro. I had to cut and paste some of the posts from the forum GoPro techs that said just the opposite. Then I asked to speak to a manager, but they wouldn't allow that. Finally... the tech said YES... GOPRO CAN USE EXTERNAL battery. He asked me to submit a video of me duplicating the malfunction, which I did yesterday after my support chat. We'll see if they contact me back. I don't expect they will. I was told that GoPro support could not do anything for me. (even though I had not asked them to). They were very defensive and very unclear in what the camera can and cannot do.

My camera doesn't even have to be in the "recording" mode in order to overheat. It can just be plugged into the external battery and power turned on. After a short while, it'll heat up and shut down. What good is an action camera if you can't use it outside in sunny skies??

NOTE: I also have a Hero 5 Black and Hero 6 Black. Both work absolutely great on external battery power, outside in sunny skies.

Hiker

[ New ]

There is a serious flaw with this camera and GoPro will not admit to this cameras design/manufacturing failures. No SD card, SD format or "manual firmware update" will fix these issues.

This I promise you, you will not ever, as in never, receive a refund. The refund period is ONLY 30 days from purchase from GoPro.  And IF you request a refund during this time they will not do so and tell you that your MUST accept a warranty replacement. By the time all of this happens your 30 day window will have expired. So, their internal policies are such that you WILL NEVER RECEIVE A REFUND. 

I have been round and round with GoPro and am on my FIFTH camera in 67 days. I currently have a case open with my credit card company, have contacted the consumer protection agency (Federal Trade Commission) and am about to contact my states Attorney General. 

Good luck.

Hiker

[ New ]

Keep us posted on this.  I think that I may go down the same path.

Nomad

[ New ]

GoPro support chat tech got back with me via email. Here is the reply they sent to me:

We thank you for taking the time of sending video with us. Based on the video, it seems that you have taken a video which is expose to the sun and while connecting to the external charger. There is no wrong of using camera underneath the sun however, this is regards on the use of external charger that is not recommended for us to do. I would like to inform you that using camera while connecting to external charger is not advisable do.The reason why the camera keeps on heating is due to over use of the camera. As we can consider that camera is like our phone that heats when we use it while charging. 

What kind of tech support is that??? Once again, they gave me conflicting information (based on what they had told me earler the same day). What in the world is going on at GoPro?  After getting this email, I proceeded to call and asked to speak to a manager. I was never connected to a manager. The support person immediately issued an RMA for both of my Hero 7 Blacks to be sent back. I was assured that I would NOT be receiving any refurbished replacements, but they will be new cameras. I don't have much faith in that they will work as advertised, but we'll see. In the meantime, I don't have my cameras (that I use for work) for 2 weeks. Huge inconvenience, but they only worked "sometimes" so guess I'm not missing much. I'm hoping that maybe there could possibly have been a hardware change between the very first cameras that were produced and the ones that are being produced now. Maybe they've made a change somewhere? 

In the meantime, I bought a DJI Osmo Action specifically so I could use it outside, on sunny days, with external battery power. GUESS WHAT?? It ran for 5 hours (I don't record the entire time - I record when there is action - but the cameras remain turned on and waiting) without any random shut downs and NO OVERHEAT issues. It ran perfectly and it was connected to external battery the entire time. The DJI camera has a heat vent on the front of the case. And yes... it's still waterproof to 11 meters.

FWIW.... I've owned every GoPro since the Hero HD and this hero 7 is the most unreliable ever. I don't want to jump the GoPro ship, I want GoPro to step up and put out a reliable camera and not try to b.s. the customers who are having issues. Stop giving me the runaround please. Customer support seems to have really taken a nose dive.

Hiker

[ New ]
Keep updating on how the osmo action performs. I’ve been debating going that route.

Last weekend I had some luck keeping the 7 running while on external power by pulling the battery. Only problem is when the rain hits, you have to pull the plug and reinstall the battery to keep videoing.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @tj311. Thank you for sharing and apologies for the inconvenience, and the confusion. The information on using an external charger or power source for the camera is not quite complete. The camera should continue working even when connected to an external power source. The use of external power source is recommended for extended recordings or shoots as the camera battery can only provide up to about 1.5 hours of continuous use depending on the resolution used. See HERO7 Battery Information .

Some users share that removing the battery helps prevent any further increase in temperature due to the camera's operation. The battery does not get charged anyway when the camera is recording as noted here

In addition, the GoPro camera could overheat and then shut down after a period of time while recording and while connected to an external power source. This has been found to occur when the camera is connected to a power source with an amperage rating that is too high. There is a current limiter in the camera so using a charger that is greater than what the necessary current is will not damage the camera.  The external power source that we support should be 5 Volts & 1-2 Amps. As much as possible, use the charging cable that came with the camera package as it has been fully tested to support the camera. Caution must be taken though with a setup involving cameras and external power source as this exposes the charging ports to dirt, dust and water

Other instances that the camera may be too hot while in operation are detailed in this article Camera Performance in Extreme Temperatures . There are tips as well on how to improve camera performance that are included. 

We are communicating with Support regarding this matter. We're always looking to our customers to help shape the direction of our products and services, so we appreciate your feedback. 

Nomad

[ New ]
@mariustanya I totally understand what you're telling me. The problem is.... seems that GoPro support staff are constantly contradicting each other. I really felt that the tech support person was giving me the runaround and just wanted to get me off of the chat session. So inconsistent.
Nomad

[ New ]
So far.... rock solid. I have been using it for 2 weeks as a replacement camera for the gopro I had to send back. I don't have my replacement hero 7s back yet. They told me that it could be 2 weeks still. They got my 2 cameras last week. I don't understand why it takes so long since they're just replacing them.
Nomad

[ New ]
@mariustanya why does it take 2 weeks to send out my 2 replacement cameras? GoPro received my cameras last week.
Explorer

[ New ]

@tj311 

Hows the GPS, TimeWarp, 2.7K/120fps, stabilization in 4:3, 1080p/120fps stabilization, voice commands and wake to voice in English (U.S.), English (U.K.), English (Australian), English (India), French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish (EU), Spanish (N.A.), Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, SuperView, Bluetooth > Wi-Fi connection, Vanity mirror (I mean front display) that has 1-2 second delay and condensation issues, Auto scene detect and underwater color correction, Auto Cloud uploading, Auto Quik Story creation, and no-lag display when stabilized?  All Rock Solid? Smiley LOL 

Explorer

[ New ]
Forgot about the amazing Burst Mode! How's the Auto Burst and 30/1 second photo capability? Surely they don't mean to call 7/1 second Burst, right? That has to be a typo.
Explorer

[ New ]
At least the Osmo Action has HEVC so 4K video doesn't rapidly fill up your storage card. How is it's application of the much more efficient HEVC format?
Hiker

[ New ]

I like the feature where it can operate for more than 5 minutes without overheating.  Still waiting on GoPro to catch up on that one...

Explorer

[ New ]

Overheating.... Has never happened to me, my son, my neighbor, my brother in law, or the countless people I surf, mountain bike, rock climb, and motor-cross with.  Check your SD card, manual update, try a different card, and then contact GoPro Support if it's happening to you.

Hiker

[ New ]

There are 12 pages of people commenting who have had a different experience.  We've bought the approved SD cards (and tried all of them), done the updates, contacted GoPro, received a replacement, and it's still happening.  But, it never happened to you so it's obviously a hoax...

Explorer

[ New ]
Never called it a hoax. However, there are some simple solutions to this.
1) Use a recommended SD card (If you have issues, try another)
2) Install Manual Firmware Update
3) Make sure the camera is properly ventilated
4) Remove battery if using external power source (only use GoPro USB-C cables and 5V and 1A-2A power supply.
5) If you are still having issues, contact the GoPro Support Team for a replacement.

I mention overheating not happening to me or the many people I know using the camera is to point out that this is not a universal problem. Considering the number of HERO7 Black cameras sold world wide, the number of issues reported here are minuscule. 12 pages with many people with repeat post and others reporting no issues or just offering advice. The only hoax is that the Osmo Action is a better camera. It's not.
Tourist

[ New ]

I was shooting video at a event when the camera first came out a d was freezing up and funny people came up to me there that we're having the same issue then and I have the same issue now tried every SD you can imagine format reinstalled software the camera has issues for sure . Like I posted it stays home in a drawer and I went back to Yi cams today .I have plenty of gimbels so not a big deal .They video when I need them to and don't fail while I'm videoing .For. Someone to come on here and act like himself and all these people he knows have them and they are perfect leads me to believe has not used it much possibly sponsors or possibly they put a better more efficient processor's in the newer ones and left the loyal customer who purchased early out to dry .

Explorer

[ New ]
Purchased on release day and use 4-5 times a week.
Hiker

[ New ]

1) Did that (and tried another)

2) Did that

3) Did that

4) Did that

5) Did that - got a new one that does the same thing.

Number 4 is the only thing that has made any improvements.  But, this creates other issues.  And, while there is obviously less user data to go on with the Osmo, it does seem to have better cooling.  It may be missing a few features of the GoPro.  But those features are worthless if it won't stay on.  Compared to the number of 7's sold world wide, the number of people you know with one is miniscule.  The camera working as advertised doesn't seem to be a universal situation either.

Tourist

[ New ]
Lol thanks, let me try another sd card derp-de-derpderp.

These cameras are crap. Idk if the osmo action is any better yet, but considering for my purposes the hero 7 black is completely unusable, I'm gonna guess the osmo is no worse.
Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15 it's rock solid for me. I have ZERO issues with external battery powering the camera. That's my complaint with the Hero 7. It doesn't handle external battery. Overheats and shuts off.
Nomad

[ New ]
@danielr15 I've been dealing with GoPro since I got the hero 7.