Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing, crashing, unexpected behavior

I did a full format of de SD Card on my desktop computer.

Today I took 50.000 pictures while charging it with a USB C data connector.

I had no problem at all.  The camera was even very responsive with its beep  and beep beep beep.

The next days I will take no pictures, at least not so many because it wil be raining.

Let us hope that this solves the problem.

Highlighted
Tourist

After copying the SD files to the desktop computer, I reinserted the SD card in the camera.
At first the beepbeepbeep took time. But that improved after 10 minutes.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Some of the replies to this thread are insane. As if it's our fault for trying to use our cameras to do things they are advertised to do.  Besides, it's hard to find "quiet time" when the camera forces me to constantly shout profanity.

If the solution is to use a 64g card to record 4k video, then it's a flawed product.

If the solution is to not record long video, but it will allow you to record long video, it is a flawed product.

If the solution is to actively keep it from overheating, then it should not be marketed as an action cam, for it is a flawed product.

I had a 3 year old dash cam from VanTrue recording next to it in the exact same conditions using the exact same memory card and it performed beautifully.  I even swapped and formatted the cards so they'd both have a shot.

The GoPro Hero 7 Black is absolute crap.  My brother also had one, but it was stolen by a shark in the first 15 minutes of using it.  I envy him, as he doesn't have the burden of trying to make use of or RMA a total turd lump.

Highlighted
Hiker

Great idea, I am going to contact the BBB too. 

I traded in two working cameras (hero 4 black), paid the $600, bought a bunch of their accessories for the new camera format, and have been paying for the Plus membership.  

Garbage... 

Freezing using recommended Sandisk cards (bought form GoPro), lost my son's graduation ceremony due to the freezing (had it on a tripod up in the front).

Dumping my GoPro stock, I have already lost a ton on it, it is only going to get worse because of GoPro camera problems and the new DJI coming out.

Highlighted
Hiker

This is exactally how I feel.
Highlighted
Tourist

yeah im embarrassed to own a gopro and tell everyone i meet, how crap they are.

today my 7 black decided to not turn back on until i had to pull it out of its frame, take the battery out then put it back in.

if you have a chance and haven't bought accessories for it, then take it back for a refund.

i use it on my bicycle as a safety measure and i just hope the faults don't come at a time its needed.

shame on you gopro!

welcome to gopro hell!

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Might as well add my 2 cents on this thread. I've been using GoPros since the Hero HD. I've owned them all and all have been good up until the 7. I have two Hero 7 Black cameras and they both do the exact same things..... Randomly freeze - have to do a battery pull to get them turned back on. This isn't exactly convenient since I'm on a kayak out in the river. Both cameras also overheat and shut down when using an external battery power. Keep in mind that I'm NOT continously recording. I'm doing multiple short recordings of 5 -10 minutes length. Then I stop the recording, but leave the cameras turned on for the next bit of action that might come up. I use them both paired to a single GoPro Smart Remote so that they start simultaneously. One camera is on external battery and the other camera is chest mounted with  just the internal battery (this camera also uses external audio mic). I'm recording in 1080/60 with stabilization on (I've tried with it turned off and I still have the issues). GPS is OFF, Pro Tune is OFF.

Yes... I did firmware updates, yes I did hard reset, yes I'm using approved SD Cards (even downsized from 128 GB to 64 GB - no difference). I've done everything they suggested.

I contacted GoPro support shortly after I received the cameras and got the run around. No resolution. Well... summer is approaching and our temps are heating up outside. Guess what.... both of the cameras are experiencing even MORE freezes / shut downs. I contacted GoPro support again yesterday and once again, got no resolution. At first, the tech tried to tell me that GoPro WAS NOT MEANT to be used with external battery power. He told me it will damage the gopro. I had to cut and paste some of the posts from the forum GoPro techs that said just the opposite. Then I asked to speak to a manager, but they wouldn't allow that. Finally... the tech said YES... GOPRO CAN USE EXTERNAL battery. He asked me to submit a video of me duplicating the malfunction, which I did yesterday after my support chat. We'll see if they contact me back. I don't expect they will. I was told that GoPro support could not do anything for me. (even though I had not asked them to). They were very defensive and very unclear in what the camera can and cannot do.

My camera doesn't even have to be in the "recording" mode in order to overheat. It can just be plugged into the external battery and power turned on. After a short while, it'll heat up and shut down. What good is an action camera if you can't use it outside in sunny skies??

NOTE: I also have a Hero 5 Black and Hero 6 Black. Both work absolutely great on external battery power, outside in sunny skies.

Highlighted
Hiker

There is a serious flaw with this camera and GoPro will not admit to this cameras design/manufacturing failures. No SD card, SD format or "manual firmware update" will fix these issues.

This I promise you, you will not ever, as in never, receive a refund. The refund period is ONLY 30 days from purchase from GoPro.  And IF you request a refund during this time they will not do so and tell you that your MUST accept a warranty replacement. By the time all of this happens your 30 day window will have expired. So, their internal policies are such that you WILL NEVER RECEIVE A REFUND. 

I have been round and round with GoPro and am on my FIFTH camera in 67 days. I currently have a case open with my credit card company, have contacted the consumer protection agency (Federal Trade Commission) and am about to contact my states Attorney General. 

Good luck.