Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 7 Black freezing, crashing, unexpected behavior

[ New ]

Hi there,

So, I have my new Hero 7 Black. I love the quality and features... but the camera is severely misbehaving for no known reason. In many ways, these issues happen so often, they render the camera unusable. I have an advanced backround in computer hardware and electronics, for reference. I'd like to beleive that this is not a user-error type situation.

Hardware and configuration:

1.  Version 1.51 (Have factory reset after flashing too, three times I have re-flashed the 1.51 firmware)

2. Samsung EVO 256 GB SD [Samsung 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME256GA/AM)] (This exact product is on the 'go' list. Card tested and clusters are checked, running well with no errors near 100 MB/sec for all operations)
  3. Generally speaking, the settings are set to minimalist modes; Voice control turned off, "screen saver" turned off, auto-power off disabled, WiFi disabled, GPS disabled, peizio speaker off, LED's off, landscape lock off, Video compression set to H.264/compatable, operating and recording in NTSC, HDMI OUT not in use.

4. Camera is always on power-only (NO data/device on USB type-A end) type-C connector, always above 90% battery when running, used as a dash camera in lower-middle ambient tempuratures (less than 72 DEG F). The camera is mounted "upside-down". The 5v power source it is connected to is stable and filtered; the device is not subjected to any unusual or agressive interference of any electrical, magnetics, or radio domain. (Tested with environmental tools; very low uTesla, negligible, below-average noise from power source and cable run shown on oscilloscope, and no unusual electric fields generated by anything other than the camera)

Issues I experience multiple times per day, every day:

Random shutdowns and recording stops without warning, sometimes camera is entirely unresponsive. Camera does not appear to be overheating, SD card is less than 10% fillled, camera is on power and battery is full. All manners of settings and their combinations have been used, with no change in this behavior, although it does appear to occur slightly less with looping video or lower data rate videos, but I have no data and any single instance is anecdotal at best.

Issues appear to happen more frequently with higher data rate videos, such as 4k 60 frame/sec, vs 2.7k 60 frame/sec, naturally leading me to inspect the SD card filesystem and sectors. I'm going over it again with a more aggressive burn-in test across the entire card as this is typed to rule out any issues, but so far, there is no visible cause for this behavior. Even though this happens all the time, it doesn't seem to happen when I'm paying attention to the camera, so it's been difficult to itemize any potential environmental factors.

This is kind of annoying, I just paid $400 for this camera, it wasn't dropped or anything stupid, and it's just malfunctioning right out of the box. So, what's the deal? Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I've done everything I can without breaking open the hood, so to speak, since it's brand new and has a warranty. I almost wish I didn't trade-up my session; that thing sucked a lot, but at least it didn't just shut down all the time for no reason. Are we, the customers, just beta testers? Not happy.

Hopefully, someone out there has useful information, but I suspect that these issues may be common accross the platform.

Hiker

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing, crashing, unexpected behavior

[ New ]

I will note this, I just noticed that the camera does overheat in LOW ambient temps when recording looping video in 4k, and my battery life dropped from 100% to 30% in LESS THAN 10 MINUTES! WTF? This is a very small single cell battery, I get it, I build my own lithium ion and lithium iron manganese phosphate batteries and battery management hardware, but this is ridiculous!

Hiker

[ New ]

I’d try with another SC card. I read somewhere 256GG cards may cause problems. I had Samsung EVO+ 128GB. It never worked with my Hero6 and I had some problems with Hero7. Now I’m using Sandisk Extreme 64GB and have no issues, it’s working perfectly. If you have a spare card, try it. Also, format the card with camera. Good luck!

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, I'll throw one of my older 64 GB sandisks in there and see what it does...

I have already reflashed the firmware multiple times manually. That's in my first post.

Why would the staff include explicit SD card model/product codes for SD cards that will not work with the device? 

Hiker

[ New ]

Tried with multiple other APPROVED cards, resulting in different failures, almost exclusively behaving as if I removed the power source from the camera 1/4 of the time. Flashed firmware one more time for sanity's sake. Honestly, I would open it up and hard flash the EEPROM outside of the user shell, but obviously that'd be bad for the warranty, even though I have credentials. (Just.... frustrating.)

I'm really disappointed overall with this thing. What a waste of money. It will not run stably with proper cards (From hardware, to volume alignment, partition parameters, everything is correct), within the operating tempuratures anywhere, with or without external power, under a variety of framerates/resolutions/encodings, it doesn't matter. It's all correct by the book, and yet this thing keeps shutting down like it's runnning into processor die level thermistor failsafe. 

It'd be really nice if someone from the company replied, and please do not bother if you did not read the post in its entirety.

Thanks.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have to concur - I see the same behavior with HERO7 and was wondering why I was the only one.  Firmware updated.  Samsung EVO+ 256GB.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @benj838,

Have you tried resetting the camera and install new update manually? 

If you already did maybe changing SD card might help. 

Choose a recommended SD card with lower capacity such as 32 or 64 G since they are more reliable based on my experience.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations 

Regards.

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]
I have already done this multiple times, it's in my posts.

Using a 64 or God forbid a 32 GB card with 4k video is terrible, storage wise. Right now, I'm using an old SanDisk 64 (good enough for 2.7k without hiccups) and it's *less* crabby. I just sent back the 128 GB Samsung Evo too under the guise that it, and potentially the 256 unit were counterfeits. I did test the cards on a low physical level, and a logical level using the GoPro formatting, and they passed. I'll be getting a v90 rated 128 GB SanDisk today, and a 64 GB Samsung Evo card too from an older order that's late. It's difficult to tell since my evidence is anecdotal, but it's possible that the Samsung cards are not usable, be it Samsung's fault, or GoPro's fault, I don't really care which but those cards should be investigated and promptly pulled from the top of the recommended equipment list.

It's not an acceptable answer for me, to just "use a smaller card" so the **bleep** 4k camera I (and many others) just spent several hundred dollars on from what's probably the leading (at least top three) consumer grade 'action cam' company in the world, when they tell me that their control software and opsys can handle a large storage environment without falling on its face. I expect that performance and absolutely nothing less for this price, and so should every other customer, as advertised.

I'm going to update this post after testing with the new 128 card. This is from a trusted hardware source, I do not expect a forgery. If the camera doesn't operate proper with it, I will have to blame the camera.

While I appreciate the interaction, please read the posts thoroughly before commenting. How many more people are going to suggest that I flash the firmware lol...

Since the severity and likelihood of these crashes are directly correlated with the bitstream density, I am starting to suspect a buffer overflow. Could be on the disk, could be in the processor cache, I don't know because I'm not employed at GoPro. I do have professional experience modifying the old cameras when I was working for Indycar team, I'm working in artificial intelligence hardware now to be clear, I am not some dummy who needs a quick-start guide to get this going. All of that probably makes this more frustrating to be honest, because when I'm not working or designing a part/system, and I AM on the consumer end of it, I just want the **bleep** thing to work.

Sorry for ranting on it, I am just fed up. Hopefully, on some off chance the Samsung cards were all junk somehow, the SanDisk card might let me use the camera as intended. Otherwise, I'm going to be having a phone call with the company about a refund and getting my old unit back that I traded up too.

Hiker

[ New ]

Using the SanDisk 128GB card, I'm still experiencing instability. 

I think it's time to call and complain. I'd love to hear the excuse for this. -_-

Save your money, don't buy this camera until it's ready on the software/firmware side.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm sick of this, calling the company, I want this fixed. Running in less than 20 deg C ambient temp, recording 4k/60 f/s with GPS off, The camera is getting up to 65+ deg C, the battery is dead from full in 10-15 min, I feel like I was robbed! >:( 

SEE ATTACHMENT

fr2.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

Other side..

bk.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

GoPro accepted RMA.

I will update this post to inform others who may find it on the cause, or at least if a new camera/battery solves the aforementioned issues. 

Please, I encourage others to post a reply if they are experiencing instability similar to what I've described here. If there is a problem with a specific lot, factory source, or otherwise the entire Hero 7 line, I want GoPro and other consumers to make a note of it. That way, either the problem is addressed, or it isn't and people know it's buyer beware.

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi @benj838,

be careful.

if you are talking about Samsung EVO+ 256GB is not a recomended one.

this is an older 2016 model.

the newer 2017 model Samsung replaced the sign "+" with "plus" and are differences in the write speed, minimum 10Mbps vs minimum 30Mbps.

"+" code:     MB-MC256DA/yy

"plus" code: MB-MC256GA/yy

Cap.JPG

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-EVO-Plus-2017-Model-128GB-UHS-I-U3-microSD-Card-Quick-...

Card Name                           Model #                HERO7 Black HERO7 Silver HERO7 White

Samsung EVO Plus 128GBMB-MC128GA/AMY                     Y                     Y                    
Samsung EVO Plus 256GBMB-MC256GA/AMYYY

just me,

robert

Hiker

[ New ]

@jayr3438@robert1326 thank you!

Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB does work.  On HERO6 (I downgraded after even worse stability problems with HERO7, which is how I got to this thread).

To recap: I was seeing crashes with the approved (and correct vintage) Samsung Evo Plus 256GB.  I would estimate one hard failure per 20-30H of continuous recording.  Reflashing did not help.

I have a theory about memory cards.  Just a theory, but now backed by 100+ hours of recording tests.  Not as skilled as @spiryridge28656 but perhaps these will jive with your observations.

1. Many (all?) SD cards stumble from time to time with a bad write.  The SD card's firmware automatically retries writes, but during this time new video data is queued on the camera.  If the card has slow re-write times (more likely to happen on larger cards with larger write buffers), it's possible that the camera's RAM is just not deep enough.  Crash.

2. This is why sustained performance measurements (U3 / V30 etc) are not enough to "guarantee" the card.  The card has to recover quickly enough from a hiccup, not just have 30MB/s sustained write time.  That specific stat is not reported by manufacturers and might even change between batches.  Even worse, all cards will have errors as they age.  

3. I agree with @spiryridge28656 - HERO6/7 temperatures seem to be proportional to bitrate.

4. The HERO7 stresses cards more because it has higher bitrates.  The camera is running early firmware that is not as polished as HERO6 and may have even less buffer as a result.

5. If you believe #1 (and it's just a theory).... The right solution is for GoPro to allocate more RAM for queuing.  The 2nd best solution is to detect a memory overflow and make a heroic effort to write this fact to the card.  Yeah the camera's gonna crash, but the right error message on the next reboot would reduce the number of returned cameras.

Explorer

[ New ]
Just to add a little to this. SD cards can have manufacturer errors, do wear down (especially at the connectors), have a limited amount of read/write (although it's very unlikely to reach this), and also tend to have lower performance the higher the storage capacity.

I can't find the article at the moment, but if I do I'll post the link, but it explained the differences of SD cards (it was about Samsung in particular, but I assume it's for all SD cards) and how there is a significant difference between the Samsung Evo (Plus) line and Samsung Pro cards. Basically it comes down to how each utilizes memory elements to obtain the storage capacity.

Flash memory (SD cards included) can be manufactured to utilize one of these storage methods:
SLC (1 bit per cell) - fastest, highest cost
MLC (2 bits per cell)
TLC (3 bits per cell)
QLC (4 bits per cell) - slowest, least cost

The Samsung Pro cards use MLC for their high storage cards whereas Samsung Evo Plus use TLC. MLC is more reliable, faster, last longer, and uses less power consumption while TLC are less reliable, slower, have a shorter life span, and have higher power consumption. TLC benefits from higher storage density and lower cost, which is why the cheaper models of SD cards utilize it.

When a SD card is inserted into the camera, it becomes a part of the camera's circuity. While it always helps to use a recommended SD card, if possible you should also try a second card (even if it's the same make/model) if you are having issues. Sometimes it's just that particular SD card. Doing a FULL format in a computer can also help as this will mark any bad sectors as unusable so your less likely to encounter issues.

I've also found that using the least amount of storage capacity needed seems to give the best results. If you search through these forums and others, it's almost always a 128GB or 256GB card that is causing the user issues. I find this on other tech forums as well, so it's not just a GoPro issue.

Lastly, and it shouldn't really matter, but it does, do not delete or modify files during your shoot. Wait until you're done. I suspect it has to do with sequential writing, but I've noticed that if I start deleting files during the shoot, it definitely increases the chances of getting an error or slower performance. When you are done with the day's shoot, make and deletions you want, but then offload the media and format your card. If possible, don't store your media on the card and always do a format in the camera before starting a shoot.
Tourist

[ New ]

Mine crashes costantly. Sometimes it crashes and looks like it's turned off but keeps draining the battery. Battery life is maybe 2-3h tops. Often I have to take the battery out to turn it on or off. Doesn't want to pair with any of my 3 phones. What a crap. I really should've just gone with Hero4 or some chinese action cam instead but I fell for the hypersmooth trap.

Running Samsung Evo and Plus cards, brand new.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hey there, Welcome to the suck! 

Isn't it a great feeling to blow $400 on a total turd?! 

I get my replacement tomorrow, they're sending me a second battery too. This has been a nightmare.

GoPro, you guys better fix this for everyone. Figure it out, because that $400 times God knows how many people... This is especially because of the whole bait-and-switch behind the card approvals. Formal list says all of these high-class cards are recommended, then I am told they're unstable after purchase? Seriously what is that? 

I don't want anyone to read this and think, who is this guy, why does her think he's special... No, we are on the same side. We are the consumers who paid really good money for a totally bogus product. 

I still can't believe that NOBODY from corporate has reached out to me over this, after making a big stink here. At the end of the day, I just want the **bleep** camera that was paid for, and I want it to work as advertised. IF my replacement is showing issues, I am filing claims with the BBB and every single organization that I have time for, in great detail. There is so much "Superior product by superior marketing" going on here it's not even funny.

Yes, I am mad as hell about this, and everyone else should be too! >:(

Hiker

[ New ]

I just sent in another scathing feedback message with my contact info attached. Maybe that one will get someones attention. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]

Hey everyone,

Ok few things. I just received my replacement, have to use the old battery for now until the second one gets here, fine, whatever I use external power the whole time anyways.

Secondly, I know I didn't respond to everyone directly. I haven't had time or didn't notice until now. To address a few things, I realize that some of you were commenting on others' posts/comments, but I have check out everything that you guys mentioned already or I wouldn't be on here throwing an absolute **bleep** fit.

I have used multiple cards, high density, low density, single bit per unit, 2 per block, I only have the more expensive cards. At least, the cards I DO have that are large enough to record more than 5 min of video are low density cards, I believe the exception was the 256 gB Samsung I was using. However every single card I used had at least a write speed of 30-40 mB/sec (note the big B for byte, not bit). Also, every card media that I own gets tested, both in logically structured and raw/volume destructive type r/w testing. Everything I still own meets or exceeds it's specifications. If it doesn't meet the OEM specs, it goes back to Amazon (everything I buy these days is Amazon Prime unless I physically cannot buy it somewhere else. The exception being my GP7 Black because I traded in my old hero session, but I digress).

I will update this thread in at least 48 hours, maybe a week. I will update sooner if there are issues.

----------------------------

Now, THE FOLLOWING IS 100% CONJECTURE, so I don't want to hear it from anyone. Put on your tin foil hats for this theory;

I suspect it is possible that GoPro or one of it's contractors/affiliates have created/received/distributed a hardware OR software module that has critical issues, and they (ANY entity) was not made aware of this critical issue until post production. At which, it's almost more wise for GoPro/affiliate to just keep mum on the issue. Think about it, if the issue is persistent, they quietly fix the issue on new hardware/software, hope that some folks' cameras aren't affect or the issue doesn't cause concern for some people, and quietly accept RMAs without much question. It would be incredibly costly and damaging for them to issue a platform wide recall RIGHT before Xmas/whatever religious gift giving holiday you celebrate. However, it's almost just as suicidal for the company to do nothing, but if they replace units without question, the given consumers are put some of their time, but ultimately receive a product that functions as advertised.

Call me nutty, but the amount of other people I'm finding online complaining of near catastrophic failures of the initial batch of these cameras leads me to believe that some form of upper management level obfuscation is occurring in hopes that the consumer, et al, will be too stupid to figure it out, albeit powerless to really do anything about it anyways as an individual.

The TL;DR of this is, it's possible there's a bad egg of a component in the first batches of the platform/model/submodel, it's too late to do anything about it, so they're letting it run silently, replacing the bad units, hoping there aren't TOO many bad units, and fixing the issue on the current/future batches.

Not impossible, maybe not super likely, but I have seen this with mainstream products multiple times. Since nobody's safety or health is at risk, there's no need for the company to proverbially shoot themselves in the foot issuing a mass recall.

All said and done, I just hope this replacement isn't a turd. 

I am so disappointed. I used to recommend GoPro's to everyone, used them professionally when I was a data acquisition engineer for an Indycar team ON TRACK, and so many other positive image stuff.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm thinking about sending my back for a replacement AFTER Christmas, or Newy Year's so there's a higher chance that they've already fixed the initial issues.

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah, the later the better sometimes. The completely silent and swift acceptance of my RMA still made me feel like they were expecting this... Or it's just possible that they have a customer-is-always-right approach in training and policy now. The cs reps I spoke to the phone were polite, relatively helpful, pretty much couldn't do anything to really make up for the issues I experienced beyond a standard RMA service. I did get to keep my first battery, but I suspect there was something wrong with it due to the temps, one way or a other by either causality, so this isn't exactly a bonus. I'm currently running the new camera on that battery while I'm waiting for a new one to arrive that they promised me.

The new camera was mostly ok so far, only recorded maybe 45 minutes worth of stuff. It froze twice, but it didn't last very long and didn't require a hard reset. It's possible that the design is very very dependent on asic quality of the core, leaving much to be desired as far as QC failed CPUs, etc along that line. Something seems different about this camera for sure, but I can't yet place it. A bad batch of almost any SMD components could cause critical failures if the specifications needed by the design is more narrow than the tolerance of manufacturing for a given component. Been there, managed that, not fun and everything is basically a roulette spin quality wise.

We will probably never know unless this remains a severe enough issue to land in a public court. What is one conventional wisdom for maintaining consumer confidence may well go against conventional wisdom for maintaining a profit margin. As I said before, mass recalls have mixed results for a company, and nobody's life is at risk here. ....Unless you start seeing fragmentation explosions from fully charged and well overheated lithium ion packs. Who knows for sure right now??
Tourist

[ New ]
I'm having same issues as you as well running 1.61, screen showing some negative colors and then the whole camera freezes and hang, have to keep restarting my camera to shoot it. I'm trying to downgrade to 1.51 to see if it's working
Nomad

[ New ]

VERY few GoPros are actually DOA or bad.

GoPro has a "we want you stoked" strategy so they will send you another camera. 

But often those are just returns from somebody else, factory reset.

Combined with the knowledged gained along the way, the person hopefully get his situation sorted. 

But you can save a ton of time if you get what I am saying here.  

I mean we have people here with days upon days, threads on 5 pages all over trying to app-update.   

Some are on their 10th session of the update effort via app. 

Whereas a manual update is duck simple, factory reset too.   

Hiker

[ New ]
Ok, new camera, same **bleep** issues

All equipment tested again and again. For the new folks, please read the entire thread before commenting.

After I am done eating, I will begin the process of filing consumer complaints at every available agency in the United States, including the BBB.
I encourage all of you to do the same.

We we're advertised a device that works without issues for long term recording. More than half of the time, I experience these extreme interruptions while using manufacturer recommended equipment. The device consistently and predictably overheats, even when used in extremely low ambient temperatures. High resolution recording causes issues faster than low resolution recording, for reference. Nobody has reached out to me, I have had to RMA the camera once and that was of my own accord.

At this point, I have to assume that a company has provided a non-working product to a large volume of customers under false pretenses and misleading advertising. I need to look around, but I will try to find representation that works consumer cases pro bono. I strongly believe that this is an issue of poor design, engineering and lack of testing. I know for a fact that if I personally was in charge of quality control or engineering, I would say that this product does not deliver anywhere close to what's promised. I mean, I have <$100 GoPro clones that run way better than this.

I will update this thread as I proceed through consumer affairs.

If anyone from GoPro corporate is reading this, contact me directly. We need to solve these issues. This is absolutely unacceptable to have a $400 camera with less than 40% reliability when used as directed with OEM recommended storage devices (removable storage that has also be thoroughly tested on an individual basis by an experiences hardware engineer to verify there are no issues with each card).

I do have the free time to work with consumer services to bring the light upon this. Let's figure it out.

Please, anyone and everyone, back up this thread data and post your negative experience.
Hiker

[ New ]

My BBB complaint ID# is 13271724. Please look for it, and file your own complaints. 

Hopefully, I've got your attention now, GoPro. It's time to fix this.

We paid $400 and traded in WORKING CAMERAS (some of us) for this turd. We want answers, results, and some of us want our money back. I will not stand by idly while people are receiving a product that fails them over and over again. 

Nomad

[ New ]

I must be the luckiest guy in the world.   GoPros from the 3 onward used in all sorts of ways.   They keep on getting better too. 

BUT.

You need to geek on them at a quiet time.

There are folks nearing a WEEK trying to do an insta-automagic app update.  

I spent about 60 seconds doing it manually.

Same basic concept applies to many things?

Onward. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Too bad I'm outside of US and the hardware is pretty nasty when the screen and camera actually hangs. 

I'm trying to get my unit to get replaced but I have to wait for days to get it done in Malaysia.

Hiker

[ New ]
Certainly, this is a busy time of year.

Moreover I provide the counter argument that the large company pushing the product should be dotting their i's and crossing t's near the busy season.

Any seasoned executive should be well aware mistakes made in the last quarter can be 10× the severity of the same mistake in the 1st or 2nd. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking your comment personally, it's just objectively not of great use.

I have managed multiple software projects, while I haven't been fortunate enough to get into program management (relative to project management), it's still of no excuse, most importantly this is the type of issue that can't be solved in software on this type of application specific design hardware platform without jumping generations ahead in software development.
To simplify, this camera was designed to an intended specification in hardware, likely with limited modules and high bus speeds. I seriously doubt it's going to get much if any better from software. Think of video game consoles. This isn't like it's emulated hardware on a discreet single or even dual precision machine with a recompiler that can be rebuilt, redesigned and efficiency result changes expected. This is fixed good-as-it-needs-to-be hardware.
Explorer

[ New ]
@stanleym7236
We should be buying lottery tickets! I've owned every GoPro HERO since the 2010 HD. Each year, better and better! Loving the HERO7 Black! Amazing camera.
Nomad

[ New ]

GoPros are one of my favorite products.   

I use them all the time and have since the 3.   

I could tell from the first post that things would not work out with this user.  

Listed, genuine 32/64 Gb cards are the best for GoPros.  

Not sure what folks are doing with a 10 hour straight car video in high data rate 4K.  

Learn to use your GoPro at a quiet time and try things out.  

So much more fun that way. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

All Hail Mary... Dam not another Joker

Nomad

[ New ]

I wonder how many videos and pics have come thru my 7 since I got it in the tradein program.  

LOTS.  

It's the best GoPro yet really.  

Adventurer

[ New ]

G0010922.JPG

Adventurer

[ New ]

yep not a cloud in the sky.

Nomad

[ New ]

I just go out and shoot a lot.  

Solve problems as I go along. 

Make things to make things easier for the next time, and practice things at a quiet time (not 1 minute before the big thing or trip).

Made 3 new mounts recently.

This point of view works great and helps creativity.

And there is no need to make another web site to bash GoPro.

Just Do It.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@spanleym7236

that is perfect to know.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@spiryridge28656 wrote:

My BBB complaint ID# is 13271724. Please look for it, and file your own complaints. 

Hopefully, I've got your attention now, GoPro. It's time to fix this.

We paid $400 and traded in WORKING CAMERAS (some of us) for this turd. We want answers, results, and some of us want our money back. I will not stand by idly while people are receiving a product that fails them over and over again. 

@spiryridge28656

let us know how that went. if you got things taken care of. and hope your next product is better then the lsat.

Hiker

[ New ]
Well, as I said in my last few posts, the new unit has the same issues. It's just totally unstable regardless of every dependent variable I can change, and I mean every dependent variable. Card size, bit density, make/model, speed ratings, everything has no effect. It's just failure after failure after failure.
Hiker

[ New ]

I have a similar problem to you. Two seperate cameras, 1.0, 1.51, 1.61 firmware, manually updated, fully formatted cards (3 different top speed cards) ETC. People want to blame the cards but they simply havent replicated the conditions IMO, this is clearly a problem with the cameras. 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Multiple-H7B-freeze-with-multiple-different-SD-cards-and/td-p...

Nomad

[ New ]

Feels like some of yall should buy GoPros I first purchased and tried out?

I always get them humming and mostly shoot with them as opposed to hand wringing, filing BB complaints, waiting to chat with CS etc.  

Saw some folks go thru weeks of confusion and anxiety about is hypersmooth on or not if you use Quikcapture.

You can easily tell in a Quiktest™ if hypersmooth is on or not by just comparing Crop / FOV.  

You don't have to simulate vibrations as someone was trying to do.  

Sightseer

[ New ]
hey Stan, i'm curious what you mean by "learn to use your GoPro at a quiet time." i'm about to purchase a hero 7 black to use recreationally for MTB, Snow Skiing, Hiking, Camping, Etc... and want to make sure I'm able to record in the highest setting possible with keeping the camera as stable as possible. thanks...Brian
Nomad

[ New ]

Sunny...it means the opposite of popping the new device out of its packaging and then doing unrepeatable and critical shooting seconds later. 

If one takes the time to A learn the device and B learn photography / videography (if also new to that) at a quiet time just to get the basics down...then in your actual shooting you'll be much less frustrated. 

It's one of my "big secrets" that really helps out.  

Explorer

[ New ]

@sunnycliff00616

Asking questions here and searching sites, including YouTube videos is a good start, but I agree with @stanleym7236, you really need to just go out and do some test shooting while playing around with the settings.  Make short clips and announce out loud what your settings are or write them down and put the paper in front of the camera at the beginning of the recording (I like to write them down on idex cards before I even go out).

I shoot almost everything in 2.7K.  Not only do you want "the best quality" but it also has to lend to an enjoyable editing experience.  Even with an i7, 32GB RAM, SSD and NVIDIA GTX 1050ti, I find that 4K video editing can be laggy and usually requires creating proxies (which takes more time and hard drive space).  

When considering quality, you also have to consider what device you will be playing back and watching the videos on.  If you are uploading to YouTube, it's going to do a number on the videos regardless with the YouTube compression.  If you are going to be playing back mostly on a mobile device or computer, 1080p is usually more than enough.  Even on a wide screen TV, 1080p can look very good.  Remember, most everything you watch isn't in 4K anyway.  

So, if 1080p is fine, why do I film in 2.7K?  Mostly it's just for reframing.  I always edit in a 1080p sequence (the timeline where you stitch the video clips together to create your story), so by filming in a higher resolution I can crop and adjust my footage to my liking without losing quality.  In 2.7K I need to scale the footage down to 71% to fit, meaning I have 29% to play with for reframing.  At 4K I need to scale down to 50%, so while it's certainly more to play with, as long as I was framing my shot to begin with, it mostly un-needed.

The big difference in getting the "best" shot is how you position yourself and the camera in relation to the source light, the correct fps for your activity, having an idea how you want to edit the shots, and then selecting the proper Protune settings (if needed).  Mostly, you can get by without making any changes and just using defaults.  Even the 4:3 formats can look great when placed in a 16:9 format if you now a little about editing and reframing.

Get a decent editor like Adobe Premier Pro, FCP, or even the free DaVinci Resolve (which in many ways is better than the paid programs).  Your ability to edit and put together your clips is going to make the biggest difference of all.  If your computer can't handle HEVC, stay away from HEVC formats.  For super slow motion shots, use 1080p/120fps. For the rest of your daylight shots, use either 1080p/60fps or 2.7K/60fps.  You'll get better battery life from 1080p and 1440p, so unless you really need it, stick with those (1440p or 1080p in Superview is great for skiing and having more vertical coverage).  In low light and/or when you don't have high speed or activities where you might want slow motion, use 30fps or even 24fps (24fps in dark environments works best if the camera isn't moving).

Hiker

[ New ]

He's literally saying, learn all the ways the camera fails, and breaks in your "quiet time" rather than at important times. Smiley Frustrated

Nomad

[ New ]

No, not at all.

For instance, the guy complaining on many forums including here, contacting the Better Business bureau and other consumer agency wants endless 4K 60 looping.   Presumably for weeks, months, years in a row.   

Heat will be a factor!

I don't loop but can fill cards simply by yanking the battery and running on external power.   This removes one of the main heat sources, the battery.  Since I know that heat is an issue I keep that in mind when positioning the camera.   Some shade would help for example.  

Lastly, knowing photography and the intended use for the capture helps one set a mode.   4K at 60 fps for a static scene, esp one without great lighting provides no actual benefits.   If the 4end result is just a heat test with zero preparation that is one thing.   If an occasional 20 second clip may be pulled from the capture and then shared on social media...well a lower mode would help while not harming the end results.  

Explorer

[ New ]
@grandsurf78404
You might want to look up the word "literally". 😝😂🤣
Hiker

[ New ]
Look, everyone adding their opinions here, I'm getting hard faults and crashes sometimes less than 15 seconds and almost always by 1-2 minutes into video on ALL resolutions and framerates/bitrates in ALL environmental conditions using any combination of OEM recommended equipment (storage).

So really, if you've got nothing constructive to add, just go away. If you have something to say that is CRITICAL, it needs to be USEFUL information, otherwise you are here to toot your own. Please read the entire of the thread, as well, so you may understand this isn't asking for miracles here. Just a **bleep** camera that can take more than a few seconds of video, stably, as advertised. (PS, my primary choice is 1440. 4k isn't practical. This is my summarized opinion for my personal use.)

This is NOT even close to what we all paid for. The complaints WILL keep coming in from myself, and other people suffering the same thing.
Nomad

[ New ]

I can't imagine how many GoPro vids & pics I've done over the years.   

Heavy use from the 3 onward.  

Either I'm the luckiest guy around or what I suggest works since it is all that I do.  

Which is simple. 

Very satisfied and happy with the best GoPro yet, the Hero Black 7.  

Explorer

[ New ]
Have you tried at least one card off of the recommended list? https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations
Not a similar card, but actual model number (make/model/size)?

You stated "countless" but exactly which one? Samsung Evo (unless Plus, not +, or Select) is not a recommended card (and certainly not at 256GB). "Older" SanDisk are not recommended, and certainly not if it isn't an Extreme model (and unless it's new or has v30). Going out and buying a v90? Why? Why spend the money on a card not on the list? Because you think it will work better?

With a card from the approved list (preferably 64 GB)
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations
Format in your computer (full, not quick) even if new
Download firmware update to your computer
Extract UPDATE folder
Place UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) on the card
Factory Reset camera (Preferences>Reset)ut card in camera and turn in using side Mode/Power button
Once update completes format card in camera (Preferences>Reset)
Factory Reset camera (Preferences>Reset)
Delete any instances of camera from mobile app
Go through setup process on camera and connect to app
Go to settings and scroll down to date/time
Press date/time to sync
Exit settings
Take two pictures
Record two short videos
It should be working
If not, contact GoPro Support to arrange for an exchange
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

By the way, BBB is a joke. It's just a Mafia type business where any company can basically buy a good review (source: I've used it for previous companies I've owned). Nobody cares about BBB ratings anymore. It's not a government agency and is powerless to do anything, so enjoy wasting time with that.
Hiker

[ New ]

@danielr15 wrote:
@grandsurf78404
You might want to look up the word "literally". 😝😂🤣

If you're going to try to correct someone, you should really make sure you're correct first. Because it was literally the correct usage.