Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 Black freezing and won't record or shut off...

[ New ]

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black freezing and won't record or shut off...

[ New ]

We highly recommend doing a manual update. The camera need not be connected directly to the computer for the update process. Only the SD card needs to be inserted directly to your computer (via an SD card adapter) in order to save the update files as described in the steps below:

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

We also have a list of recommended SD cards here for your reference. Let us know how it goes. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @loyalcrest768. Is this a brand new HERO7 Black, or an issue that you just encountered?

Freezing is indicative of an issue with the camera firmware or the SD card used. These troubleshooting steps  will help resolve it. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
It is fairly new, only had it for a few months. This has been happening on and off since I got it. The firmware is up to date and even when the card was new it happened. I honestly feel it’s a fault with the camera (reading other people’s issues and comments). I’m going to be purchasing a new card and if it keeps happening I’m going to sell the GoPro and find another brand, thank you.
GoPro

[ New ]

Which card are you using now, @loyalcrest768? Also, when you mentioned that the camera is updated, was the update done manually? 

Tourist

[ New ]
The update was through the app. I don’t have a cord for my Mac. It was updated in December of 2019 (1.9). The card is the Sandisk A1 128GB.
GoPro

[ New ]

We highly recommend doing a manual update. The camera need not be connected directly to the computer for the update process. Only the SD card needs to be inserted directly to your computer (via an SD card adapter) in order to save the update files as described in the steps below:

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

We also have a list of recommended SD cards here for your reference. Let us know how it goes.