Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 7 Black freezes randomly during timelapse

I've seen a number of support queries about this issue with various GoPro models, but haven't found a solution.  I'm currenly working on a podcast comparison of the Hero 7 Black and Hero 8 timelapse functions but the Hero 7 (I've only had it a few months) randomly freezes and won't complete a time lapse.  It is running the latest firmware, 1.9 - and I'm using a new Sandisk Extreme (recommended) SD card, 64 GB.  I've reformatted it several times but it still randomly freezes.  I haven't had this issue with any of the video functions or even timewarp.  I'm doing the timelapse at night, so it isn't a overheating issue. 

Do you have any suggestions?  I've reset the camera, reformatted the card, tried a different card, but the issue persists.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 7 Black freezes randomly during timelapse

Could be dirty contacts on your SD card port in the camera.  This results in your camera freezing during timelapse or powering off in certain other shooting modes.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for the information, although I think that is unlikely.  The camera is only a few months old and I don't change SD cards.  I would also think that shooting slow motion video would put more strain on the card connection that single 12 mp still images.  Anyway, last night I changed the capture to 15 seconds and the camera ran OK for over an hour but I can't imagine why 15 vs 10 seconds should make any difference!

Highlighted
Adventurer

when you said format  are you doing a full format in a windows OS or a quick, or  using a Mac?

maybe the camera no longer likessandisk cards that was what I started to find out on their FW 1.80, 1.90 and hero 8 cameras.

Highlighted
Tourist

I used the camera to format the card - several times!  I tried 2 different Sandisk Extreme cards but had the same issue with both.  Also, the cards work fine for more extensive IO such as capturing slow motion in high resolutions!  I would not think that capturing a 12 megapixel image should put a strain on the card.  I'm assuming that setting the timelapse at 10 seconds means 10 seconds BETWEEN frames - that is 10 seconds after capturing a frame.  If it means 10 seconds between shutter clicks, perhaps that's an issue as this is a night timelapse and I assume the shutter is open for a longer period.

Highlighted
Adventurer

try a full computer format. that will  take cre of any  issue on the card.

Highlighted
Tourist

I think I may know what the issue is.  I am setting the camera to take a frame every 10 seconds and the shutter is on auto - so I believe what may be happening is that in the dark (doing this at night) if the shutter is taking longer that 10 seconds I'm wondering if that is causing the Hero 7 to freeze up.  If I extend the capture time, it is less likely to freeze.  If I set the camera on auto interval and set the shutter speed myself and capture RAW, the camera does not freeze at all and actually captured 2.5 hours of RAW images (which is much better anyway!).  So I'm thinking that use the night time lapse and using auto shutter and setting a time interval may not be a good idea, although it seems to me that the interval should start at the end of the last capture and not when the shutter is triggered.  Anyone know for sure?