Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 7 Black doesn't turn On

[ New ]

A bought my new Hero 7 black 5 days ago.

That night I turned it on at home made de firmware update and got familiar with it.

Left over night for a full charge.

Next day morning I got out on my MTB bike for some filming

Everything OK!

When I got home I took the SD card and transfered the video footage to my PC. I was very satisfied.

Untill today.

I was getting everything ready for a new riding footage I turns out that there's no signal from the camera.

No charging light nothing

I tried everything so far:

a diferent charger; a different cable; with sd card in; with sd card out; pluged it without the battery; tried to reset it by honding the power button for 8 seconds, then tried pressing both buttons simultaneously.... Nothing!

I guess it's dead, there's no led light, no signal, no beep.....

Probably tomorrow I'll address the shop where I purchased it for repairing/replacement, right now I'm not shure

GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black doesn't turn On

[ New ]

Hi @vampyr

Thank you for sharing the information.

Take the battery and the SD card out then plug the camera to a wall charger. See if the camera will power on.

If it does, insert the SD card then do a test recording.

If it doesn't respond at all, please get back to us with a picture of the cable and the charging adapter.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
I already did that. No success.
Nothing at all!
I used two type C cables. The one that come with the gopro 7 black and afterwards with the one I have from my Gopro Session 5.
I also tried different 3 different wall chargers. One from my smartphone Sony Xperia z5 premium, another one from a Samsung tablet and a power outlet with to USB ports.
They worked fine with the gopro 5 session.
If you think is really necessary I will take photos of them tomorrow, or a video. I'm from Portugal and already late for me to do it right now.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @vampyr

Thank you for your efforts in trying to isolate the issue.

The best path forward is to contact our Support Team to further check on this.

You may reach them via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

I'm a new fresh owner of a gopro hero 7 black and had no other action cam before. After getting it yesterday I tried some things and made my first pictures and recordings. But for my bad the camera didn't turn on after I left it for some time untouched and shutdown. Luckily it was enough to remove the battery, press the power on button, insert the battery and start it. This happened two times and now I wanted to power on the cam but I wasn't able to start it, also with the battery removing trick.

So I tried to plug it in to load the battery and luckily the battery was dead and the cam was working again. But the last time I worked today with the cam, I had around 60-70 % battery load and afterwards I shut down the cam for some hours. Therefore the battery has drained while the camera was turned off.

Wanted to share my experience with this problem, could be a bug in the new firmware (did the update to 1.51 yesterday).

Greetings,
albflo

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi! In my case the camera doesn't seem to work even without the battery when I plugged it to charge... no led light no nothing. So I believe it's probably a different kinda issue. Tonight I'll address the shop of purchase to see if they get me a solution.
Thanks
Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem.Please let me know if you can fix it.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the same problem.Please let me know if you can fix it.
Tourist

[ New ]
In my case the shop made a short analysis and replaced the camera for a new one.
It's been a week and no issues so far.
Did everything I did with the previous one, firmware update, same memory card.
So I believe it was a faulty one.
Tourist

[ New ]
I’m having the same issue, any resolution?
Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @stoutcreek56137

Please go over the steps on this article: 

HERO7 Will Not Power On

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi I got it on, but this has happened a few times. What’s the root cause and permanent solution?
Thanks in advance
GoPro

[ New ]

Good to hear that your camera went back on. @stoutcreek56137

I am not specifically sure why it did not turn on when you try to, what SD card are you using?

Is your camera up to date?

Also, please make sure that you are using a recommended charger.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi EJ,

I am on the latest version (1.61) and using the correct charger/cable. I think I’ve figured out what’s causing it - it’s having voice control enabled.

Since I’ve turned this off I’ve had no issues turning the camera on, and I disable the WiFi when not needed and that’s helped the battery drain issue even more too. So yesterday I turned the camera off at 12pm and turned it on this morning with no issues, still at 100%.

I think for the cost that these issue shouldn’t exist. A firmware improvement is needed. But I’ll just keep turning these two things off for now.

Thanks,
Chris
GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate you posting back @stoutcreek56137

We'll have this shared with the team in charge.

Please continue to check our website for more information. Software Update Release Information

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I bought a GoPro Hero 7 to film my fishing adventures. I wanted to film in 4K/50 and was impressed by the Hypersmooth stabilization. Kudos for that.

However, while fishing, when I wanted to film the fish I was drilling, 5 out of 10 times the GoPro would not switch on. Inside the house, where it is warm, no problem. Outside at 5 degrees Celsius and humid, it failed continuously. I thought I bought a defect GoPro.

So I sent it back.

Not wanting to give up I bought a second Hero Black 7 and a Karmagrip. The Hero 7 would sometimes not turn on inside the house, even when attached to the karmagrip (had to switch the Karmagrip off, and then on again and then the GoPro would turn on). Outside when fishing it was even worse. Cold weather and humidity and the GoPro would not switch on 5/10 times, even in the Karmagrip, but also without.

So I sent the second unit back.

Again, not wanting to give up, I bought a third GoPro hero 7. Inside the house it turns on (though not always with the karmagrip). Outside the house it doesn't switch on 5 out of 10 times.

Yes, I have all the latest updates on Karmagrip and GoPro.

The only way to get the GoPro to switch on (while drilling a fish) is to REMOVE IT FROM MY CHEST MOUNT, TAKE IT OUT OF ITS FRAME, REMOVE THE BATTERY AND STICK THE SAME BATTERY BACK IN IMMEDIATELY, PUT IT BACK INTO THE FRAME, ATTACH IT BACK TO THE CHEST MOUNT, SWITCH IT ON AND PRESS RECORD.

So much good footage lost. I love technology but not if it is buggy. Timelapses and Hypersmooth is cool, but with this buggy camera I missed five crucial shots for my video. Is this American quality? Sorry, but I'm switching back to Sony.

Here's a summary:

- Three gopros don't switch on in the cold (5-10 celcius) and humid weather.Even when using a battery pack constantly attached!
- GoPro won't switch on using karmagrip often!
- GoPro files copied to PC set modified date to current date.
- mounted to my chest I CANNOT SEE WHEN IT IS RECORDING
- Karmagrip keeps calibrating wrong, picture never horizontal.
- The frame around the GoPro is **bleep**ty. I mean, come on.
- Mic adapter is ridiculously expensive

I PAID A LOT OF MONEY AND EXPECT QUALITY!

I'm so disappointed and won't recommend the GoPro to my collegues. I'm continuing to use my Sony FDR3000X, which maybe has fewer functions, but I can rely on it.

I'm sorry GoPro, maybe you should rebrand to GoAmateur. I gave it three chances and wasted my money.

EDIT: Same problems at 15 degrees celcius.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Me pasa lo mismo pero con la white, tuviste solucion? el equipo de go pro no sirve de nada! Yo la mande a reparar con ellos y la mandaron igual

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @tomv20 and @epichero14467. Sorry to hear about the trouble. If you have already gone through recommended troubleshooting steps including manually updating the firmware, using one of the recommended SD cards here and resetting camera (and Grip) and the issue persists, it would be best to get in touch with our Support team so they can help you with the next steps. You may reach the team by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Let us know how it works out. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Of course I tried all these steps. Spent a fortune on 3 compatible SD cards. But ALL THREE GOPRO's HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS! So I have little expectation on what customer support can do. 

I'm selling mine, going back to the Sony FDR-X3000 which never let me down.

Tourist

[ New ]

When "recording" a video with ANY OF MY THREE GoPro Hero 7's, this is what often happens.

Interesting bit starts at 10:56:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NIuw_ELJo&t=10m56s

Alvast een waarschuwing. Geen grote vangsten. Zie daarvoor mijn vorige video. Wil je gezellig meevissen? Dan ben je natuurlijk van harte welkom! Ik ga met de...
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @tomv20

Thanks for sharing the file.

If the suggested steps does not take care of the issue, please reach out to our Support Team.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Ok, I tried manual update (with emphasis on MANUAL, so not through GoPro Quick), and started using the GoPro Super Suit (as recommended by GoPro support), and it seems that the problem is solved (although I only had one recording session). Will keep posting my findings here. Unfortunately buying two Super Suits was pretty expensive. My Sony FDR300 never has any problems, even in much, much colder weather.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks @tomv20

We look forward to your next update.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Did a second day of filming using the supersuit. I didn't experience the usual issues. GoPro froze on me once though, but recovered by turning it on and off. I didn't fillm in 4k 50 though, but in 2.7k. Will try the 4k next time, since I have a gut feeling that might impact stability.
Tourist

[ New ]

Another day of filming, now with supersuit again and also 4K 25FPS. Camera turns on so not the same problems as before. But when turning off camera it freezes and I have to take the battery out again. All my three GoPro Hero 7 have this problem. But hey, at least it freezes after filming :-( Won't contact support, because all GoPro's have this problem. They are inherently unstable. Nice for amateur shooting, not for professionals.

Tourist

[ New ]

Ok, I've given up. Seems to have nothing to do with temperature. All three GoPro's won't turn on about 1 in 10 times. I'm done, sold two of them, moving to professional equipment. 

Tourist

[ New ]

After some time of testing Gopro hero 7 black I think I discovered how it actually works.

First of all to eliminate any risk of firmware glitches I updated firmware manually as per Gopro instruction. Wifi connections turned off. Voice commands turned off.

So my findings are...

Camera powers by pressing power button once. And turns off by holding until red lamp flashes few times and screen turns off.

But after some time of inactivity (hour or two...gopro could specify) you will not be able to power on camera by short power on button press. Also it will not start recording by pressing record button.

Each time after longer periods of  inactivity you need to power camera by holding power button for about 8 seconds. Then if you turn it off, it starts to work as intended (for some time...)  ...turns on by short pressing, and instant recording is also available.

It seems that to solve battery drain gopro made camera to fall into kind of deep sleep from which it can be waked up by holding power on button for 8 sec. 

I think many people are mistaken when thay can not power on camera, they think that their battery is empty...

Also all actions (powering on, off, recording etc) should be done with clear pauses between separate actions... I think camera's processor is rather slow and it usually hangs when you  want to do do smth quickly :)

Thats it. Hope it will help.

But I still can't believe that such buggy product can be released to the market....

Tourist

[ New ]

I have even stranger issue...

The battery that came with the camera was faulty and didn't want to charge to 100%, so I've asked for replacement (3 days later I had a new battery thanks to GoPro)

However the new battery worked just once... I can't explain why or how but literally last night after I had the replacement battery i've put it on charge 2-3 hours later lights gone off. Turning on the camera showed 100% battery charge and I was so happy. Everything was working, until the next day. I was packing up my stuff going on holiday and "surprise" cammera didn't react at all. I've tried to unplug the batterry and plug it again multiple times, removing sd card didnt help either, charging doesn't have any effect, no lights and no way to turn it on while the replacement battery is inside. Plugging back the original battery makes no issues and camera works perfectly fine, with only issue you can't charge it to 100%

So my question is what I'm doing now? Going on holiday tomorrow and taking power bank is the only way for me to film I quess... 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @biserk1168

Sorry for any troubles caused.

Please run a manual update through https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero7-black.

I have worked with some cases previously where this step resolved the charging issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I had the same problem. I bought a brand new Hero 7 Black and within a week the unit refused to switch on. The only way to switch it on was first to remove and replace the battery. This happened several times within a couple of weeks, so I reported it. "Technical" support were clueless and ended up exchanging my unit for another one, but the replacement unit behaved in exactly the same way.

I eventually noticed that the problem seemed to be linked to using QuikCapture. After I had recorded a couple of clips with QuikCapture activated (i.e. one button recording) the unit refused to switch on again until I had removed the battery and replaced it. I have switched off QuikCapture now and have not had the problem occur since (for several months now).

There is clearly an issue in the camera's firmware that no amount of unit swapping or resetting will solve. Hopefully someone at GoPro will look into this more carefully and fix it in a future version of the firmware.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, @epicgorge7833. Good to know that you have been able to use your camera without any issue. It is odd though that having the QuikCapture on causes the camera to not power on again without having to remove and replace the battery. We tested with a few units here but we are not able to replicate the issue. The camera powers on and off as set, even with the QuikCapture on and even after recording a couple o videos using QuikCapture. Do you recall specific settings that you have used when you observed the issue with QuikCapture? That will be helpful in isolating the issue further. Hope to hear back from you. 

Tourist

[ New ]

My camera was set to video mode, 1080p, Linear, 60fps with ProTune off and QuikCapture on. The video clips I that I was taking at the time were about 25 minutes in length, so they got split into 2 files - I wonder if that was also a factor ? The SD card I was using was the one supplied with the camera and formatted by the camera. The camera is on the latest firmaware.

Unfortunately I was never able to reproduce the problem intentionally. I use the camera in a situation where when I want to switch it on I need it to work first time, and I wouldn't have time to remove it from the case, and pull the battery out, so I haven't risked switching QuikCapture back on since.

Try the combination of my settings and 25 minute video lengths.

Good luck !

Tourist

[ New ]

....WiFi / Bluetooth etc. were off.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you, @epicgorge7833. We will definitely test them out. We will keep this post updated. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi there !
I got same issue... I’ve been using hero 7 black for 10 months, these problems arises regularly and solution was just to take battery out and plug in back. But couple days ago I used up all battery charge , camera switched off and never switch on again
tried everything so far:
a diferent charger; a different cable; with sd card in; with sd card out; pluged it without the battery; tried to reset it by honding the power button for 8 seconds, then tried pressing both buttons simultaneously., but no response.
I’m from Ukraine , Kherson City and I have no official GoPro service in my town. How can I got assistance and bring my camera back to life ?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @irick

Please go over the steps on HERO7 Will Not Power On

Should it still be the same, our Support Team should be able to help you.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @activeclif01146. Have you already updated the camera firmware? If you haven't yet, the steps below will guide you through the process: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that the camera uses a fully charged battery and that the SD card is formatted prior to the update. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
hi @aragon1006 i contacted with official gopro support in my country regarding the issue with camera and they said that camera has to be replaced but i have to pay additional charges . my gopro hero 7 still on warranty so why should i pay for replacement ?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @irick. We'd be glad to check on it. Is there a case number that we can use as a reference? Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi,

I'm now in Canada for a roadtrip, and making timelapse movies. Turned off wifi/bluetooth, and have 6 original GoPro batteries with me. Replace them every 1.5-2hrs because batteries gone empty.

Yesterday I didn't change the battery on time, because I was almost on destination. The last 3km was no problem for no recording.

After parking I changed battery, put the empty one in the external battery loader (GoPro brand too). Put another one in the GoPro in case I forgot. But this morning, the GoPro won't turn on. Change battery, change SD-card, nothing works. Sometimes it makes 3 short beeps, few second later one beep. But turning on? No way.

Try to reset it with the power/mode button, I didn't get even a beep or something. Pulled out battery and SD-card and with 4 types of USB-C cables tried to start or reset it, without battery and SD-card. With only battery, with only SD-card and with all. Nothing works.

Pulled it on my notebook. Got an error message that the USB-device isn't working properly. Windows, you're kidding? I know that. Bad try, I hoped to use Quick to get into the camera for a reset or firmware update..

After that I left the motel, traveled around and didn't even try to turn-on the camera.

I have it now for 15 minutes on the power in the next motel. It did 3 beeps, and after that a one-"hard" beep. But turning it on? No way. Again tried it without battery, without SD-card or even without both. No one works. Notebook didn't recognize it anyways.

Some people with any idea's?

I'm bit disappointed, because last 3 weeks of my roadtrip I have 2 options: No timelapse recording, or buy a new one, with the expensive costs extra.

For my guarantee - the camera is maximal 6 months old and used in the last 6 months around 5 times, for testing it. And get familair with the device, for this trip I make.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Added: It goes after a time on, but got the message SD-card error. With a complete new SD-card, straigt out the shop. I need to format it, but the device didn't do that. It is frozen. Didn't react on anywhat I tried. Did format the SD-card on my notebook, and placed it again in the device. Even not working.

And yes, the SD-card should work. I have the same type card used last weeks.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi.

almost all problems with 'do not turn on' or 'do not charge' are a problem with the chargers.
Even a new charger could not work well with GoPro.
I have used a USB Tester to see voltage and current during the charge. So I can identify when the charger is working properly with the GoPro. The voltage must be higher than 5.05V, but the almost charges delivery 4,95V ou lower voltage.
I hope to help you guys.
Regards.
Fabio

Link of USB Terster

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32995730014.html?src=google&albslr=231550187&src=google&albch=shoppin...

Sightseer

[ New ]
Min Goprohero vill inte ansluta till Sony Xperia Z5. Är mobilen inte kompatibel med Goprohero 7 eller?
GoPro

[ New ]

@kernkam2020, typically, the connection issue between the camera and GoPro App can be resolved by resetting the Wi-Fi settings. Please follow these troubleshooting steps accordingly: 

1. Remove your camera entry from the GoPro App's history. 
    • Android: Open GoPro App. Press and hold the image of the camera and delete the entry from your camera history. 
    • iOS: Open GoPro App. Tap the pencil icon in the top-left corner of the Camera menu page. Tap the red X icon to delete the camera entry from your app’s history. 
  2. Reset your camera’s Wi-Fi settings using the instructions here
  3. Delete the GoPro camera under the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi entries in your mobile device’s settings before attempting to re-pair to your GoPro using the instructions here