Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Hero 7 Black date loss on battery removed

[ New ]

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue but lately my Hero 7 Black losses it's date and time, resets back to 01/01/2016 00:00 when I remove the battery to recharge it. 

I have a Hero 5 Black that I do the exact same process, the battery is removed for the same period of time, on a daily bases and it's not an issue. The battery is either removed overnight or during the day while I'm at work, anywhere between 4 and 12 hours. 

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black date loss on battery removed

[ New ]

Hello everyone, 

The camera date and time resets if the camera experiences a drain or if the battery is removed for an extended period of time (about 8 hours). Simply removing the camera battery and replacing it right away should keep the time and date set. If this is not what you are observing though, a manual update should do a fix. Please let us know how it is on your end. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]

Depends on how long the battery is removed. Over night, both my Hero 7 and 4 lose the time. Seems to be normal behavior - some capacitor may be drained after that time.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have the same problem on Hero6 and Hero7 Black. Is this an issue or normal behavior ? Hope this will be fixed soon because I hate to set up date and time on all cameras when i want to use them.  

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello everyone, 

The camera date and time resets if the camera experiences a drain or if the battery is removed for an extended period of time (about 8 hours). Simply removing the camera battery and replacing it right away should keep the time and date set. If this is not what you are observing though, a manual update should do a fix. Please let us know how it is on your end. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Nomad

[ New ]

Thanks Marius, that seems to be the situation, not sure if the capacity of the onboard power is less than the older cameras but it's just something for me to be aware of and adjust my process slightly. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

GPS has the current date & time in the signal. Since the Hero7 has GPS, why is GoPro requiring each user to set the date/time rather than defaulting to sync the time from GPS? I pull batteries to prevent drain, so will never have the right date...?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @foggyhero73250

This would be a great feature. At this time though, the camera is not designed to work that way. But, if the time on the camera is not in sync, connecting the camera to the app will detect such and the app will provide an option to set the time. We will definitely pass your feedback along to the team for future consideration. 

Best regards, 
Marius 

Tourist

[ New ]

Have the same issue with my new Hero 7 (Black): It seems, that this "inner" calendar isn't working and doesn't matter if the battery is inside or not. Before I move out for a clip-session I have to reconnect my cam to my pc via quink. The new date is set and will be kept until I reconnect it again. The battery is low after the session but not empty. I change the battery in a few seconds and never leave it without a battery inside. Haven't had this problem with all my gopro 1-6 before....

Tourist

[ New ]

Bonjour Marius,

J'ai exactement le même problème. Par contre, de mon côté, la date se réinialise instantanément même si la camera n'a plus de batterie pour une duré très courte.

Ensuite, si j'importe les vidéos et photos sur mon ordinateur, tout les médias sont avec la mauvaise date ce qui me fait un travail énorme de classement par date car je veux garder mes vidéos en ordre chronologique.

J'aimerais connaitre la façon que le logiciel fonctionne concernant la lecture de date. Je m'explique: Si je change la date du fichier dans windows, le GoPro Quick ne voit pas la différence. De plus, si je prend un fichier et que je le déplace dans le dossier 2019-04-30 (par exemple) Le fichier va demeurer en 2014-01-01.

Pouvez-vous m'aider,

1. Existe-t'il une façon de contrer le tout? Faut-il changer la date des médias avant l'importation?

2. De quel façon le GoPro Quick fonctionne au niveau de la date choisi?

Si je change la date de la caméra avant l'importation, tout mes fichiers deviennent avec les bonnes dates. Cependant, si pour une raison inconnu ma caméra ne télécharge plus et que je suis oubligé de télécharger avec la carte SD directement dans mon ordinateur, je n'ai plus aucune façon de changer les dates autrement que de cliquer chaque média et les changer un à un...

En espérant avoir un conseil et aussi aider d'autre gens à ce niveau... travail très laborieux.

Philippe

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @philthenoise,

Quik for Desktop will save the contents based on the date they were taken. The camera itself will send the directive to the microSD card when recording a video or capturing a photo. That being said, the date that's currently set in the settings of the camera will be written onto each file. Reformatting the SD card before each shoot is great and highly recommended, but long periods of dormancy or letting the camera's battery drained/removed for a long time can cause date/time settings to reset. I suggest to check those settings before you start recording again.

If the date/time is different from what is set on your computer, Quik for Desktop will prompt you to adjust the date/time of your media files. This can be done by using the steps indicated in this article.

Kind Regards,
Ann

Hiker

[ New ]

I hope you vierw that as a bug.  I do Kayak fishing and as soon as the battery runs out, the camera shuts off, and I replace it within 2 minutes.  Unfortunately on all of my videos the date/time is incorrect because the camera loses the date time.  If the camera loses the date time in 2 minutes when the battery gets low and is being changed I hope everyone views that as a bug like I do!

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

The date shouldn't reset if the battery is only out for a few minutes. Try doing a manual update on the camera's firmware. That should correct the issue. If not, our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can do some additional troubleshooting with you.

Jeff

Tourist

[ New ]

Hallo Jeff,

ich habe leider dasselbe Problem. Ich entnehme die Batterie, um Sie mit ihrem Ladegerät aufzuladen. Dann bleibt die Uhrzeit und Datum stehen. Setze ich die Batterie wieder ein, dann muss ich die Uhrzeit und Tag neu einstellen. Ich bin mir sicher, diese Eigenschaft war in den vorherigen Modellen nicht vorhanden. Hat sich technisch etwas geändert? Kann die GoPro7 das Datum nach einem Batteriewechsel nicht mehr halten?

Die Frimware ist aktuell, das Verhalten trat schon direkt nach dem Kauf der GoPro auf. 

ich werde den Kontakt mit dem Support versuchen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

M. Kruse

Hiker

[ New ]

I apologize.  I investigated further.  It does not lose the date/time when replacing the battery immediately as I posted earlier.  It loses it when I remove the batteries altogether to charge them.  I still think it should hold the date/time for days in this condition, which it doesn’t.

GoPro

[ New ]

@ronj25, if the battery is removed from the camera for an extended period of time, you must reset the date and time (automatically or manually). The date and time are automatically updated when you connect your camera to Quik for Desktop app. However, you can manually change these settings, on the camera itself, if needed.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Please teach GoPro engineers the meaning of RAM and ROM :( so sad.. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Marius, it is now 12 months since your "solution", which actually is NOT a solution at all, more an explanation.

When you talk about "a manual update" are you suggesting a Firmware update to resolve this, or a manual set of the Date and Time?

The currently available latest Firmware does NO resolve this loss of Date and Time when the battery is removed for an extended time.

Can you advise if leaving a charged battery in the camera is "good practice" or should be avoided?

Regards

Paul 

Nomad

[ New ]

The solution provided solved the issue I had raised, no manual update required, just leave the battery in the camera rather than taking it out overnight. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

When this camera works, it works beautifully, but it has been more of a nuisance than any other ot the many piece of electronics I have ever owned, including other GoPros. I have purchased two additional batteries thinking that the original was defective. They all seem to get a battery drain or freeze at one point or another without rhyme or reason, resulting in removing the battery to get the camera to start again. Then the date gets reset, creating a load of additional work to redate everything on the SD card. I have at time left the battery out until I'm ready to use the camera the next time because after only a night a fresh batter will just be dead the next day - unacceptable. The unit does not seem to actually be off at times when it looks like it is off as well and the battery dies. 

Has any thought been given to replace or give a high value trade in to the new model 8? And does it work better? I will never be a big fan of GoPro or be able to recommend it to others again unless there is a reasonable fix for this, not just an explanation saying that the battery has to be left in. Some of the GoPro knock offs that cost hundreds less will probably have to be my next solution.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @flyladyaz. Have you been able to manually update your camera firmware? If you have and the camera exhibits the same issue, our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat. When you do, make sure that you have access to your camera. You may also direct the team to this thread for easy reference on the issue. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Yeah! Your post is exactly what Im thinking and what is happening with my piece. Owning gopro7 since few months and still amazed how good are photos and clips, and on the other hand how crappy, buggy and unresponsible can be software powering it. First my thoughts were this is due to the mem card, but I hanged it for smaller and other producer. No change. 

Few times I lost my photos or lost the ability to make it due to unexpected battery drain. Often I take it out of the bag hot and with battery going to zero. So I started to remove battery for long travel. And then I read here I cannot do it because time get reset?! common! this is XXI century and my hand watch is working for 2 years without battery change!

Gopro do something with it! The simplest solution would be get time from GPS with enable/disable of this feature. And yeah! conneting camera to the app also take ages and is crappy....so not doing it!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @elg60632

It is important to determine battery integrity to ensure that your camera works smoothly. 
You may perform a short record time test through the instructions here https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/Short-Record-Times
Should you get a run time significantly shorter than the expected battery life, despite using a recommended SD card https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations and the camera being updated to the latest firmware, let our Support team know. This way, they can help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej