Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Hero 7 Black Video Format Issue

[ New ]

Hello all.

I recently purchased a new H7B.  Every time I shoot videos (2.7k or 4k) they are in mp4 format.  Great.  

Upload them to my computer and Windows Media Player only reconizes half of the videos. 

But they are all mp4 format.  However, some have WMP thumbnails and the others just have a generic mp4 thumbnail. 

The generic ones only work through VLC.  WMP throws an error with them.   

Driving me crazy. 

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Ian 

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Hero 7 Black Video Format Issue

[ New ]

HEVC codecs don't come with Windows.  Hence Windows Media player won't play HEVC files right out the gate and you'll probably have difficulty editing the files too.  VLC uses it's own set of decoders to play these files.

You can go to the microsoft store and download the HEVC playback codec:

HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer

or

You can buy the Microsoft HEVC codec for .99 cents from the microsoft store:

HEVC playback codec

Or you can download something like Handbrake, which you can use to convert your HECV file into something your system can handle.

View solution in original post

Sightseer

[ New ]
Just use VLC why use the sub standard Windows Media Player. Use VSCD approved by Gopro to edit them or convert them to your desired format. Upload via YouTube and share ; )

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

HEVC codecs don't come with Windows.  Hence Windows Media player won't play HEVC files right out the gate and you'll probably have difficulty editing the files too.  VLC uses it's own set of decoders to play these files.

You can go to the microsoft store and download the HEVC playback codec:

HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer

or

You can buy the Microsoft HEVC codec for .99 cents from the microsoft store:

HEVC playback codec

Or you can download something like Handbrake, which you can use to convert your HECV file into something your system can handle.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks irishmanpdx.   I did download handbrake to convert them.  Vegas didnt like the files either. 

Im still having truoble understanding why some of the vidoes play.  Out of the 50 so vidoes that I have shot, almost half of them play in WMP without any conversion.   

Its just odd to me.

Sightseer

[ New ]
Just use VLC why use the sub standard Windows Media Player. Use VSCD approved by Gopro to edit them or convert them to your desired format. Upload via YouTube and share ; )