Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Hero 7 Black TimeLapse saves a 0kB video

[ New ]

I have recently made several attempts to create a timelapse of the city from my balcony taken throughout the day (about 20hr take using 10sec interval shots).
The camera is being powered externally and has had no issue keeping full power. The memory card is SDSQXSG-064G-ABCCA with plenty of space available. The camera itself is blocked from the sun and any heat source and is not experiencing any overheating issues. I can see the red LED is on the entire time up until the moment that I stop the recording. However when I stop the recording the camera says that it is unable to view the file. When I connect the GoPro to my computer it shows me the videofile but has it as a 0kB file that, when opened, crashes the video player as it is a completely empty file. The camera can take pictures and videos with no problems, and yet the timelapse function proves useless. 
This camera seems like its a dud, I would like to send it back for servicing or to simply receive a new one that actually performs as it is intended.

Attached is one of the useless videofiles the camera produced after a 20 hr timelapse of the city, as you can see it is nothing but a thumbnail image as if it only managed to take the first frame.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black TimeLapse saves a 0kB video

[ New ]

Hello, @toughoasis30874. We just tested with the same camera model, HERO7 Black, and we were able to get a recording for all the Time Lapse Modes. Does it matter how long the recording is? 

If you haven't yet, we recommend doing a manual firmware to clear out possible errors. The steps below will guide you: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that the camera battery is fully charged, and that the SD card is formatted prior to the update. Save all your files first prior to formatting the car. 

Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Hero 7 Black TimeLapse saves a 0kB video

[ New ]

Hello, @toughoasis30874. We just tested with the same camera model, HERO7 Black, and we were able to get a recording for all the Time Lapse Modes. Does it matter how long the recording is? 

If you haven't yet, we recommend doing a manual firmware to clear out possible errors. The steps below will guide you: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO7 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that the camera battery is fully charged, and that the SD card is formatted prior to the update. Save all your files first prior to formatting the car. 

Let us know how it works out. Thanks!